View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 12:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung View Post
I have a situation that I would like some feedback on. My partner & I were waiting for the Freshmen Boys game to end by standing in the doorway to the gym. It was very crowded and there was a lot of people between us and the court. The game went into to OT, so we stood there to watch the other officials. When the ball went up for the OT tip, we realized that the officials had switched the direction of the players for the OT. (We all should know that the OT is an extension of the 4th Q and the teams should shoot at the same basket in OT as they did in the 4th Q). One of the school administrators came up to us and said, "Aren't they shooting at the wrong baskets", which we acknowledged as true.

If the situation would have been different and we could have gotten the attention of the officials as they were lining up for the tip, should we have stepped in to correct this. Should we have said something after the first dead ball?
I don't believe you should do this, unless you were quite nearby and the method is very discreet. You could hide the communication by going to the table about another non-existent issue.

My point is to let it appear that the game officials discovered the error themselves.

I think it looks damaging to have to have the "next officials" correct a mistake like that.