The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas State v. Texas: Basket Interference (Video)

Yes, they did count the basket. Pretty surprised they did.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
and there's a lot of great videos after this one......thanks for posting.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
and there's a lot of great videos after this one......thanks for posting.
Unintentional on my part...put an embed code that included a playlist with all 270 or so clips on the channel.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Philosophically I know this is a violation, but should it be one in reality?

A fouled player loses the ball in an dunk attempt and the ball goes in the hole anyway without his complete control. Should we penalize the shooter for something the defense created?

I am seriously conflicted with the situation so I do not have a definitive answer. I would like to hear other opinions.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

A fouled player loses the ball in an dunk attempt and the ball goes in the hole anyway without his complete control. Should we penalize the shooter for something the defense created?

I am seriously conflicted with the situation so I do not have a definitive answer. I would like to hear other opinions.

Peace
I didn't include this in the clip, but according to the broadcast, the officials told them that they counted the basket precisely because the ball went in the basket w/o touching the basket or the player.

Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
My thoughts too. I'm OK, philosophically, with counting this one since the ball didn't hit the rim and wasn't touched by the player....no effect at all...particularly since he was found and probably only grabbed the rime as a result.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

The dude is hanging on the rim!
Basket interference occurs when a player:
ART. 1 . . . Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
My thoughts too. I'm OK, philosophically, with counting this one since the ball didn't hit the rim and wasn't touched by the player....no effect at all...particularly since he was found and probably only grabbed the rime as a result.
That's only ok if he lets go of the ring before the ball enters. So it would be fine had he pulled down the movable ring AND RELEASED IT, then the ball enters, and even though the ring has yet to return to its normal position, if it does not contact the ring on the way through there is no violation.

The posted play is different because the man is still grasping the ring when the ball enters the basket. That is not permitted BY RULE. We can't disregard the rules we don't like or don't agree with.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's only ok if he lets go of the ring before the ball enters. So it would be fine had he pulled down the movable ring AND RELEASED IT, then the ball enters, and even though the ring has yet to return to its normal position, if it does not contact the ring on the way through there is no violation.

The posted play is different because the man is still grasping the ring when the ball enters the basket. That is not permitted BY RULE. We can't disregard the rules we don't like or don't agree with.
Note that I said philosophically. I was not saying it was correct by rule.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Interesting play.

I always try to watch it once and make up my mind. When I saw it, I thought the offensive player let go of the rim and the ball did not contact the rim.

So I also would have gotten this wrong. In slow motion and from various angles the offensive player is clearly still holding onto the rim.

I can see how they missed this, I'm pretty sure this is not reviewable.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

4-7-2 exception

EXCEPTION: In Arts. 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action, the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket interference.

This sure seems to meet the exception in FED rules. I don't know college.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
EXCEPTION: In Arts. 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action, the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket interference.

How was his hand legally in contact with the ball when he lost contact with the ball prior to it entering the basket?

Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post

The college rule is (at least essentially) the same. And, you can parse the sentence and the ruling in 9.11.2B so it applies. I'm not sure that's what they meant, though.