The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kansas State v. Texas: Basket Interference (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97098-kansas-state-v-texas-basket-interference-video.html)

APG Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14pm

Kansas State v. Texas: Basket Interference (Video)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_p1tSjSKFjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, they did count the basket. Pretty surprised they did.

grunewar Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:21pm

and there's a lot of great videos after this one......thanks for posting.

APG Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 919728)
and there's a lot of great videos after this one......thanks for posting.

Unintentional on my part...put an embed code that included a playlist with all 270 or so clips on the channel. :p

JRutledge Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:30pm

Philosophically I know this is a violation, but should it be one in reality?

A fouled player loses the ball in an dunk attempt and the ball goes in the hole anyway without his complete control. Should we penalize the shooter for something the defense created?

I am seriously conflicted with the situation so I do not have a definitive answer. I would like to hear other opinions.

Peace

APG Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 919732)

A fouled player loses the ball in an dunk attempt and the ball goes in the hole anyway without his complete control. Should we penalize the shooter for something the defense created?

I am seriously conflicted with the situation so I do not have a definitive answer. I would like to hear other opinions.

Peace

I didn't include this in the clip, but according to the broadcast, the officials told them that they counted the basket precisely because the ball went in the basket w/o touching the basket or the player.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 23, 2014 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 919732)

Peace

My thoughts too. I'm OK, philosophically, with counting this one since the ball didn't hit the rim and wasn't touched by the player....no effect at all...particularly since he was found and probably only grabbed the rime as a result.

Zoochy Thu Jan 23, 2014 03:55pm

The dude is hanging on the rim!
Basket interference occurs when a player:
ART. 1 . . . Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 23, 2014 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 919759)
My thoughts too. I'm OK, philosophically, with counting this one since the ball didn't hit the rim and wasn't touched by the player....no effect at all...particularly since he was found and probably only grabbed the rime as a result.

That's only ok if he lets go of the ring before the ball enters. So it would be fine had he pulled down the movable ring AND RELEASED IT, then the ball enters, and even though the ring has yet to return to its normal position, if it does not contact the ring on the way through there is no violation.

The posted play is different because the man is still grasping the ring when the ball enters the basket. That is not permitted BY RULE. We can't disregard the rules we don't like or don't agree with.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 23, 2014 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 919774)
That's only ok if he lets go of the ring before the ball enters. So it would be fine had he pulled down the movable ring AND RELEASED IT, then the ball enters, and even though the ring has yet to return to its normal position, if it does not contact the ring on the way through there is no violation.

The posted play is different because the man is still grasping the ring when the ball enters the basket. That is not permitted BY RULE. We can't disregard the rules we don't like or don't agree with.

Note that I said philosophically. I was not saying it was correct by rule.

Toren Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:12am

Interesting play.

I always try to watch it once and make up my mind. When I saw it, I thought the offensive player let go of the rim and the ball did not contact the rim.

So I also would have gotten this wrong. In slow motion and from various angles the offensive player is clearly still holding onto the rim.

I can see how they missed this, I'm pretty sure this is not reviewable.

rsl Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:45am

4-7-2 exception

EXCEPTION: In Arts. 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action, the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket interference.

This sure seems to meet the exception in FED rules. I don't know college.

APG Fri Jan 24, 2014 01:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsl (Post 919823)
EXCEPTION: In Arts. 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action, the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket interference.

How was his hand legally in contact with the ball when he lost contact with the ball prior to it entering the basket?

bob jenkins Fri Jan 24, 2014 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsl (Post 919823)

The college rule is (at least essentially) the same. And, you can parse the sentence and the ruling in 9.11.2B so it applies. I'm not sure that's what they meant, though.