The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 05:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gets There First ...

A1 rebounds the ball while airborne. A1 falls to the floor while holding the ball, when he lands on B2 who had fallen to the floor. The official rules a traveling violation on A1. Is the official correct? Ruling: No, this is a blocking foul on B2. The mere fact that B2 has fallen on the floor, does not absolve him from committing a blocking foul. B2 is not in a legal guarding position. (4-23-1, 2 & 4; 10-6-1)

Found this interpretation (above) online. I recall that we've discussed this before on the Forum. I also recall that this ruling (above) was correct for NCAA games, and that several of us were undecided for NFHS games, with the discussion centering on "every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent".

I believe that the situation above hinges on the fact that B2 took away A1's landing spot.

New situation: What if a moving dribbler, or a player moving without the ball, simply trips over a fallen player who has gotten there first and who didn't take away a landing spot?

Comments please, on either situation, original, or new.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 05:05pm.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

That play ruling does not match the one issued by the NFHS several years ago and since removed from the Case Book. Don't know from where you obtained it, but it wasn't the NFHS.

That said if B2 falls to the floor under an airborne A1 who then comes down vertically on B2, that is a blocking foul. For your follow up question, if B2 fell in some other spot or was there before A1 went airborne, then B2 should not be charged with a foul under NFHS rules.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Minds Think Alike ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That said if B2 falls to the floor under an airborne A1 who then comes down vertically on B2, that is a blocking foul. For your follow up question, if B2 fell in some other spot or was there before A1 went airborne, then B2 should not be charged with a foul under NFHS rules.
Thanks. That's what I thought.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Help ???

Quote:
That play ruling does not match the one issued by the NFHS several years ago and since removed from the Case Book.
That's what confused me. I can't find it. Can anybody help?

Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That play ruling does not match the one issued by the NFHS several years ago and since removed from the Case Book. Don't know from where you obtained it, but it wasn't the NFHS.

Agree. The above citation was an NCAA interpretation and the NFHS interpretation was the exact opposite.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seeing Is Believing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agree. The above citation was an NCAA interpretation and the NFHS interpretation was the exact opposite.
That's what I thought. Now, who can come up with that NFHS "exact opposite" interpretation? And, it doesn't have to be someone from Missouri.

Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That's what I thought. Now, who can come up with that NFHS "exact opposite" interpretation? And, it doesn't have to be someone from Missouri.
You posted it yourself in this previous thread: On The Floor Is The Appropriate Description Here ...

Now where are your keys?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

New situation: What if a moving dribbler, or a player moving without the ball, simply trips over a fallen player who has gotten there first and who didn't take away a landing spot?

Comments please, on either situation, original, or new.
That's actually what our previous discussions were about. Foul in NCAA, nothing in NFHS.

Your rebounding scenario is the "new" situation.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Found It ...

Quote:
That play ruling does not match the one issued by the NFHS several years ago and since removed from the Case Book.
This casebook play last appeared in the 2004-05 NFHS casebook:

10.6.1 SITUATION E: B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor. Ruling: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.

On The Floor Is The Appropriate Description Here ...

Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 07:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Looking For My Keys ...

Quote:
You posted it ...
That You guy seems pretty smart. And I hear that he's quite handsome.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 07:55pm.