The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Arbiter Issues

Anybody else get 20, literally 20 not an exaggeration, of the same e-mail all at once from Arbiter last night? Combine that with multiple times I've logged in to find new assignments and hadn't gotten an email, they are having a rough season!!
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
Anybody else get 20, literally 20 not an exaggeration, of the same e-mail all at once from Arbiter last night? Combine that with multiple times I've logged in to find new assignments and hadn't gotten an email, they are having a rough season!!
I only got 3 ... three emails telling me I had new assignments. The third one actually corresponded with a new game.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 09:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Our issues seem to be much less than they were a few weeks ago.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

They still aren't sending the emails when you get removed from a game or when a partner is removed from a game (So you can correspond with your new partner). If not for looking at my master schedule a few times this season I wouldn't have known a change was even made.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I emailed tech support last week about not getting email reminders...and got a "canned" response saying they are working to fix a lot of things....and a link to a page that lists those things.

I suspect that your 20 emails is part of their effort to fix things.

I had a similar problem with another online software service and it took a while to get it back on track. As a business owner, I don't envy their predicament. As a user, I just want it to work.

Until all the fixes are in place, I suspect Arbiter will continue to be problematic and inconsistent (will work fine for some and poorly for others.)

My assignors have told me not to rely on Arbiter emails, but to check the site daily.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 10:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Back in the summer I created a new account just for my HS assignors. I have been using it with no problems, except that I could not access the NFHS pubs. For that I still had to use my original Arbiter account that is now just for my college assignors.

Last night I received an email to my HS account welcoming me to Arbiter and telling me how to set up my account. But, at least now, I have access the NFHS pubs through my HS account.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 02:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Back in the summer I created a new account just for my HS assignors. I have been using it with no problems, except that I could not access the NFHS pubs. For that I still had to use my original Arbiter account that is now just for my college assignors.

Last night I received an email to my HS account welcoming me to Arbiter and telling me how to set up my account. But, at least now, I have access the NFHS pubs through my HS account.

MTD, Jr., and I are assigned basketball, baseball, and softball games from one assigner; baseball and softball games from two other assigners; and baseball games from a fourth assigner; all using Arbiter and have not had any problems here.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 02:49pm
AremRed

I've had problems recently too. I cannot sign in using Chrome and even if I use Internet Explorer (ew) it gives me an error before I can see my groups. I have called them but their tech support did not seem very knowledgable.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 02:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

I did get an email from the upcoming White Hat for SB48 explaining all the upgrades to the system, if that means anything...LOL
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 04:20pm
Official & Member

I've had incidents of just about every issue mentioned here so far. Multiple emails, no-emails, error messages etc.

I can't help but notice that the increase in problems & glitches and service interruptions coincided with the NCAA buyout. Kinda like what happens when the government gets involved in anything....

Just my opinion.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Arbiter says that the problems started last summer when its computer system could not keep up with increased volume. When it updated its email system over the past months, new bugs were introduced that it is still trying to fix.

I received a detailed explanation from the company about the many steps it has taken and will take to fix things. I don't have the same suspicions about the problem being linked to the NCAA purchase.

The problems coincide with increased business, as more assignors use the Arbiter. Since I work with software and computers, maybe I am too understanding of how easily a system that works fine one day can be so flawed the next. Clearly the company did not increase its computer server and software capacity adequately as its business grew, and by the time it saw the problem, there was no easy fix.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I know a good alternative that isn't having any problems.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 01:19am.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I know a good alternative that isn't have any problems.
Will you be sending a package to John Adams?
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 09:49am
M.A.S.H.

Currently I can't view any of my game details.

Isn't the first time it's happened this year. I seriously hope they undergo a serious upgrade in the offseason or the conferences change their provider (which is doubtful).
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 12:26pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

What conferences are you in that use it tjones?