The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
...In the future, like others have said, just don't stop in the same town or area you officiated at. Unless it's the drive-thru, where you don't have to worry about running into any idiots or a-holes that were at the game and may have something dumb to say.
I'm not letting fans dictate where I eat, I'm on my time. Thankfully, any interactions I've had in public with people who recognize me as an official have been positive.

But, if I do ever come across one who tries to engage me in a negative conversation I will cut them off and simply say "You don't know me, so don't talk to me".
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My response would have been "F**k you, a$$-hole, and you better hope that's not my nephew working behind the counter".
You are also 6'5.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
So glad I don't do middle school anymore...it was ruining my love of the game

Had a tournament this last weekend, a pay to play weekender for grades 5-8. Worked four games sunday morning, with a veteran partner. Game 3 was a train wreck. After the game this guy with a HUGE beergut walked by me and said,"that's the WORST ref'd game i've ever seen."

I said,"We've got lots of extra whistles if you want to help out." He kept walking.

Probably shouldn't have said anything.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Please tell us you were not in uniform. .
Yes, I was showered and out of uniform.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbballref View Post
Yes, I was showered and out of uniform.
Then you are an average citizen. If someone says something disrespectful to you in other aspects of life, you have the right to respond appropriately, even if that would not be seen as "professional" as an official. And I am not saying you have to be belligerent, but you have the right to stand up for yourself. If it bothered you that much, then you should avoid those spots close by, but that is not always easy to do.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Had a tournament this last weekend, a pay to play weekender for grades 5-8. Worked four games sunday morning, with a veteran partner. Game 3 was a train wreck. After the game this guy with a HUGE beergut walked by me and said,"that's the WORST ref'd game i've ever seen."

I said,"We've got lots of extra whistles if you want to help out." He kept walking.

Probably shouldn't have said anything.
And to me this is totally different. You are on site and still in an official capacity. Those have to be very much thought of carefully before you say anything.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm not letting fans dictate where I eat, I'm on my time. Thankfully, any interactions I've had in public with people who recognize me as an official have been positive.

But, if I do ever come across one who tries to engage me in a negative conversation I will cut them off and simply say "You don't know me, so don't talk to me".
I hope you never come across 15 all at once, all just drunk enough to be stupid.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbballref View Post
Worked two middle school games tonight, that were no good right from the start. Knew they would be tough games for middle school, as they were the two bottom teams both fighting it out trying to get their first wins of the season.
As we all know, fans know everything about the rule book and tonight was no different. I heard things such as "you know they only get 5 seconds in the lane right" people wanting 3 seconds in the lane before the ball is even live, and of course every time there was a missed layup there must of been a foul that wasn't called.

After the game, I was hungry so I went and picked up a sub from Subway for the ride home. I recognized the person behind me as one of the people complaining all night. As I go to place my order he says over my shoulder to the worker, "You should spit in his sub because he reffed such a bad game just now"
I couldn't believe it. Didn't even bother to turn around and acknowledge what he said.

Sir, that's very hurtful........how do you sleep in your car at night?
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I once encountered some fans who were really letting the three of us have it, all night long. One fan made it a point to stay and wait for us to come out of the officials changing room. He was going to get his word in and be last word lucy. After hammering home to me that I was the worst official in the world amongst other descriptions (no cussing though). I then turned and told him "I didn't miss all those shots, I didn't commit all those turnovers and certainly had nothing to do with all those baskets for the other team". He then stated "that's not very professional for you to say". I then stated, "what did you expect, I'm the worst official in the world" The look on his face was priceless.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

If this jackhole just said something to me, I would either kill him with kindness ("Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed the game"), or say something along the lines of "Looking for more officials" like someone else already said.

If he made the comment about spitting in my sandwich, I wouldn't be nearly as nice.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And to me this is totally different. You are on site and still in an official capacity. Those have to be very much thought of carefully before you say anything.

Peace

Precisely. As soon as the words were out I thought,"you dumba$$, you shouldn't have said that."
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
I once encountered some fans who were really letting the three of us have it, all night long. One fan made it a point to stay and wait for us to come out of the officials changing room. He was going to get his word in and be last word lucy. After hammering home to me that I was the worst official in the world amongst other descriptions (no cussing though). I then turned and told him "I didn't miss all those shots, I didn't commit all those turnovers and certainly had nothing to do with all those baskets for the other team". He then stated "that's not very professional for you to say". I then stated, "what did you expect, I'm the worst official in the world" The look on his face was priceless.
I love how some play the professionalism card with us, but feel it is appropriate for them to call us everything under the sun and we are supposed to just ignore it. Sorry, that is not how the real world works. They better be glad some do not want to harm them for the things they say.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I love how some play the professionalism card with us, but feel it is appropriate for them to call us everything under the sun and we are supposed to just ignore it. Sorry, that is not how the real world works. They better be glad some do not want to harm them for the things they say.

I understand totally and believe me, there have been times when I've felt like smacking certain people in the chops. But then if I did that I'd be lowering myself down to their level or even lower. The way I look at it is people like that are simply ignorant.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 06:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You are also 6'5.

Peace
Certainly helps. I'm not 6'5", but I'm larger than average.

And I'm told I have a soul-stealing stare, so that helps.

I also avoid, to the extent it's possible, stopping near enough where I'll be recognized. In small towns, that typically means I wither bring my own snacks or I grab something from concessions. I can always wait a half hour to eat, too.