The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Post game comments

At the conclusion of a hotly contested game, the coach that came out on the losing end of a 6 point differential follows you and your partners toward your locker room as you are leaving the court and yells at you three times, "That's Bull$hit."

What do you do?
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:09am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
What do you do?
I would ignore it. Nothing positive will happen by responding, no matter what I could say. I would speak with the AD. If the coach says anything more (personal comments, etc.) I would file a report with your state/regional association.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
At the conclusion of a hotly contested game, the coach that came out on the losing end of a 6 point differential follows you and your partners toward your locker room as you are leaving the court and yells at you three times, "That's Bull$hit."

What do you do?
Are you still on the court when he does it? If so, a flagrant technical foul is in order, along with a full report to the folks who govern the game.

If not, a full report to everyone who cares (assignors, AD, state association, etc) is in order.

And afterwards, I would write a sternly worded review on Yelp.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:19am
Do not give a damn!!

We can do what we call a "Special Report" and then inform the state and school administration this kind of behavior. Then it is up to the state or school to put this in the record and deal with this however they choose.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

First and foremost, keep walking and no talking. Then take care of sending letters to the appropriate people.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do you do?
We would assess a flagrant technical foul, eject the coach, report it to the NCHSAA and the coach would be suspended for a minimum of two games.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to think I would wack the coach for his behavior - wouldn't eject via Flagrant Tech....but in reality, I would just keep going to the locker room and report to the school AD later.

I highly doubt that any conference/state association will take any action since the behavior was not penalized when it occurred (that was relayed to me from another official who had a similar experience and reported to the conference/state association).
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

We were still on the court as our locker room was a coaches office just off the end of the court. I took the Flagrant Technical option. I felt like he thought he could get away with one because the game was over. I went back to the scorers table and told them to record a flagrant technical in the book on the coach. I have filed my report with the state, and it will be up to them to decide whether he gets a one game suspension which is standard in our state for ejections.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
We were still on the court as our locker room was a coaches office just off the end of the court. I took the Flagrant Technical option. I felt like he thought he could get away with one because the game was over. I went back to the scorers table and told them to record a flagrant technical in the book on the coach. I have filed my report with the state, and it will be up to them to decide whether he gets a one game suspension which is standard in our state for ejections.
Good job. Plus one. Attaboy!
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Good job. Plus one. Attaboy!
Plus 2. Well done. That behavior is unacceptable from the coach.

Last edited by Thumper68; Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 12:30pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Plus 3 (and not in metric). Sounds like you handled it in a very professional manner (no joke).

The only thing you forgot was to smack him upside the head with a frying pan.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:39pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
That's exactly how I would have handled it, and for exactly the same reason. No free shots just because the game is over.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

I posted this a few days ago, but I whacked a coach while I was going off the court after the game a couple of years ago. He thought that since the game was over he was going to get his free shot in. It wasn't flagrant-worthy ("You guys are awful" or something close to it), but at least I got to write the report.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I posted this a few days ago, but I whacked a coach while I was going off the court after the game a couple of years ago. He thought that since the game was over he was going to get his free shot in. It wasn't flagrant-worthy ("You guys are awful" or something close to it), but at least I got to write the report.
Curious, does your state require reports for all technical fouls, or did you write one merely because it was so unusual (after the final horn)?
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Curious, does your state require reports for all technical fouls, or did you write one merely because it was so unusual (after the final horn)?
Any technicals except administrative.