The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Although I didn't get to see the entire first half, here a couple of gems from Nance.

1- Wilcox second foul was against one of the Indiana forward on a rebound put back. "Foul on Wilcox. He got him on the hand."

2- At the end of the half. "The shot clock is ahead of the game clock, they forgot to turn it off!" Shot goes up, shot clock horn sounds, ball goes in, and end of the half buzzer sounds.

Great job, Jim!

What a giblethead!
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, yes, Gibblethead Jr.

A good one by Packer: IU player goes up for the three, releases the ball, gets hit on the hand/wrist hard enough for the foul. Packer says "When you hit on the hand, it doesn't affect the shot as much."

(How could it affect the shot after the ball has been released?)

Another one - shot put up by IU in the paint, bouncing around when a MD player taps it - ball goes in. Packer: "That was an unneccessary goaltend call because the ball went in!"
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

BTW, Brad, do you think there will be enough server space to host all of the stupid comments in tonight's game?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 01:23am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

First: other Mark - there's only one "b" in Giblethead

Second: the dumbest comment in the game was when Jim Nance introduced "analyst Billy Packer."
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Somewhere in another thread, one of you commented that Packer knows his X's and O's, but how many times did he say tonight that Maryland should "get the ball into Juan Dixon's hands" and yet Dixon went scoreless throughout the entire second and third quarters. I wonder if these are early symptoms of Alzheimer's. No, that's too disrespectful to all the healthy, reasonable people who have that awful disease. Let's face it, Packer is a giblethead. He almost makes me miss Bill Walton.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

I guess Dixon had a good reason why he didn't score in the "third" quarter...
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Ah, yes, Gibblethead Jr.

A good one by Packer: IU player goes up for the three, releases the ball, gets hit on the hand/wrist hard enough for the foul. Packer says "When you hit on the hand, it doesn't affect the shot as much."

(How could it affect the shot after the ball has been released?)

Another one - shot put up by IU in the paint, bouncing around when a MD player taps it - ball goes in. Packer: "That was an unneccessary goaltend call because the ball went in!"
I heard this comment from the other room, but did not see the replay. In live action is did not look like a goaltend to me.

I also missed seeing the tip, but I thought I heard Packer say Jefferies stole it. Was he indicating there should have been a violation called? Anyone see it?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't keep track of announcers much, and I didn't know who was announcing last night's game. I grew up and live in Indiana, but my wife's family is from Maryland, so we had to watch last night.

In the first half, one of the announcers was ragging on the sloppy play in a condescending manner. Not knowing who the announcer was, I told my wife, "This guy is awful!"

I learned at half-time who the announcers were, and yes, it was Packer. I immediately thought of the threads here. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking quickly enough to call him a giblet-head while I was watching the game!
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

My favorites happen at the start of the game. On the jump Packer said something to the effect (not a direct quote) that Indiana got the ball because their center hit the ball on the way up. Which he did not on review of the tape I made. I can see next year coaches teaching the kids to hit the ball on the way up.

Next was soon after when Baxter and an Indiana player went up for a rebound. Tweet, Nance then said it was an “Over the Back” call on Baxter. The funny (or is it said) thing about it was not the hated “Over the Back” but that the replay showed that they were side by side so it could not have been “Over the Back.” So he can’t even get it right wrong or is it wrong right. BTW, for me it would have been a no call, call.

If I would have to pick the worst of the two, I would have to say it was clueless Nance. How many times did he say “Over the Back” and “Reaching” foul?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 02:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

If I would have to pick the worst of the two, I would have to say it was clueless Nance. How many times did he say .....“Reaching” foul?
Actually, I think he alternated between "reaching foul", "reach in foul" and my personal favorite, "reaching in foul." That sets a new record for using the wrong terminology in three different ways.

Too bad no one in the game "traveled on the inbound". I've heard him say that before, too.

Earlier this year, he called an "over his back" foul, as in "That's an over his back foul."

Yipes - where do they get these guys?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Yipes - where do they get these guys? [/B][/QUOTE]

There is a special test they give. And no, we would not qualify because we would pass the test.

Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson

I heard this comment from the other room, but did not see the replay. In live action is did not look like a goaltend to me.
That was exactly my point - it was basket interference.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Basket Interference?

Quote:
Quote:

How was that basket interference? The ball was not in the cylinder. The Ball got blocked to the backboard and went in, on the side of the cylinder.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Looking at it from the camera angle CBS provided, I thought it was in the cylinder. If it wasn't, bad call by the official and by me.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Basket Interference?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Quote:

How was that basket interference? The ball was not in the cylinder. The Ball got blocked to the backboard and went in, on the side of the cylinder.

Peace
Good, I am glad I saw it right the first time, it looked like a great play but the defense was a bit too slow to finish the block.