Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Professional ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
It's funny because I have seen many sharply dressed officials who didn't know a whistle from a leaf blower. I hate "perception" but I do like "reality". I agree your game uniform should be nice, and you shouldn't show up looking like a schlep, but I am a proponent for officials being rated and judged based on their ability to officiate.
Only 10% of the peer ratings is appearance, and a large part of that is being in decent shape. This is what we look for in that 10%:

1) Official is in physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy through the game.
2) Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 16, 2014 at 06:59pm.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All Politics Is Local ...

Quote:
If a black belt is worn who cares.
In my little corner of Connecticut, we would all agree with you. But some obviously do care (just read this, and similar threads). It depends on which Rome you officiate in. We don't care one way, or the other, in my Rome. And in other Romes? They do what they do. Everybody has different standards. Basketball officiating, at least on the high school level, is not under any single universal umbrella.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 16, 2014 at 07:00pm.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It gets worse that that. Junior varsity officials are expected to stay for at least one half of the varsity game. Most, especially if they want to move up quickly stay for entire game. Back in the day, I did.

Again, from a recent local board newsletter:

The four officials at a high school game site should work together as a team. Varsity officials should arrive at the game site no later than the beginning of the second period of the junior varsity game. Junior varsity officials should stay and observe the varsity game until at least halftime of the varsity game in order to learn by watching experienced officials. Many varsity officials try to show up for the beginning of the junior varsity game, and many junior varsity officials will often stay to observe the entire varsity game. The overlap will insure that an official is available if one of the officials at the site becomes ill, or injured. The local board expects veteran officials to observe and offer constructive appraisals, with specific suggestions, to less experienced officials. The local board expects less experienced officials to seek out, and ask for input, from more experienced officials. Partners are expected to offer constructive appraisals to each other. "So? What did you see out there?” is an easy way to start a post-game conversation.
This is not worse. All this makes perfect sense. But if my game is the last game, what more is there for me to do. For the record, there are showers available to us in pretty much 0% of the places we go.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 07:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pete Schweddy's Balls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
For the record, there are showers available to us in pretty much 0% of the places we go.
And, also for the record, I would not expect you to take a shower.

Why the geographic difference? We have showers, and secure changing areas, available to us in about 95% of the high schools we service. It's another story for middle school games, were we seldom have a secure changing area, and almost never have an available shower, so we come to the game in uniform, an accepted practice on our local board, as well as in our Catholic middle school games. Last night was the first time in several years that I was not able to shower after a high school game. It was a new "charter" high school, and I was not pleased to ride home in a sweaty uniform.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 16, 2014 at 07:27pm.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 07:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't get the big deal. It's black pants. If a black belt is worn who cares. The uniform is black pants, black shoes, striped shirt. I'd rather an official be able to officiate.
You cannot work at most jobs if you are not in what is seen as professional. So yes, how you do your job is actually only part of officiating like it is in other jobs or professions. One of the reasons Rex Ryan who is the DC or the Saints is probably not going to get a HC job in most cities until he cuts his hair.

Peace