The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

HBP Reasonable Effort...

What do you guys look for when you look at 'reasonable effort' when a batter is HBP? A flinch, a turn of the shoulder, a movement of the feet? Had a winning run come in on a HBP with bases loaded today...defensive coach gave me some grief, just wondering what you guys look for...
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

The beauty is, it's a judgement call.

If - in my judgement - the batter tried to get out of the way, we have a HBP. The coach should save his grief for his pitcher.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

They stay if they make no effort or they move into the pitch or they get hit by a pitch in the strike zone or while swinging at the pitch.
So a flinch , turn , freeze , would be an effort for me.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

You're right, dang judgment calls! I guess we could go into a vast discourse about EFFORT to get out of the way or EFFORT to move enough to get the HBP call.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue68
winning run come in on a HBP with bases loaded today...
very high probability
Quote:
...defensive coach gave me some grief
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

If that ball was in the batters box.. unless they lean into it or are standing there intentionally getting hit (which is a I know it when I see it).. they are going to first. If they are just "frozen" by the pitch, they are still going to first. The batter very much gets a big benefit of the doubt here. Even a decent acting job.. they go to first.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
If that ball was in the batters box.. unless they lean into it or are standing there intentionally getting hit (which is a I know it when I see it).. they are going to first. If they are just "frozen" by the pitch, they are still going to first. The batter very much gets a big benefit of the doubt here. Even a decent acting job.. they go to first.
100% with Wade on this one. Send them to 1B. They have so little reaction time, that when they do realize the ball is not over the plate, it is often too late to move.

PS - don't equate this with the baseball "taking one for the team" thing. A male with a much more muscular upper body may be willing to turn a shoulder into a slow sweeping curveball and hope he fools the umpire. That may happen at the adult levels of FP softball, but I've not see too many teenage girls that want to get hit.

WMB

Last edited by WestMichBlue; Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 08:40am.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
PS - don't equate this with the baseball "taking one for the team" thing. A male with a much more muscular upper body may be willing to turn a shoulder into a slow sweeping curveball and hope he fools the umpire. That may happen at the adult levels of FP softball, but I've not see too many teenage girls that want to get hit.

WMB
I see it all the time in FL. Even some of our rec ball players have the "take one for the team" attitude. If they're trying to get hit, I keep them at bat.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
I agree with wadeintothem. Unless I think they were trying to get hit, or there should be a strike call, they are going to first base.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they are just "frozen" by the pitch, they are still going to first. .
I was just going to mention this. Many, many times, a hard throwing pitcher who has a lot of movement on the pitch will confuse the batter when she comes inside. Is that the batter's fault? No.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do you guys look for when you look at 'reasonable effort' when a batter is HBP? ...
I don't look for "reasonable effort." I look for the absence of "no effort". IOW, some effort. It does not need to be effective; just not "no effort." I also agree that the batter can "freeze" and that is not the same as "no effort."
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

what they said. reaction time isnt very much. unless they are leaning or turning in to the pitch in an obvious attempt to get hit. It IS a judgement call, but its an easy one.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Twice I have called it when either the ball slipped or something happened with the pitch and we had a slow roll up to the batter and literally the batter watched it roll to her foot and hit her. I am talking so slow her foot almost made the ball stop.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
Twice I have called it when either the ball slipped or something happened with the pitch and we had a slow roll up to the batter and literally the batter watched it roll to her foot and hit her. I am talking so slow her foot almost made the ball stop.
I had a college player make a "kick-save" on a bouncing 0-2 pitch this year -- then take off for first. She got to come back and finish her at bat.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

There was a girl at one of the colleges around here a few years ago who was good at turning, as though she was avoiding the pitch coming inside, and sticking her knee out there to get hit at the same time. I was fooled by her a couple of times, and then got wise to her antics.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.