The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 09:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I have always accepted the "dress code" in other areas. What I can't accept is the refusal of some Forum members to accept the dress code in my little corner of Connecticut. Some members seem to imply that "When in Rome ..." works for everywhere accept my little corner of Connecticut.
So younger and newer officials wear belts?

And every time you buy new pants, you order them with belt loops?
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 09:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

This is the part I don't understand. Do officiating supply stores even SELL belted pants anymore? Or are people just buying slacks from Penneys?
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 09:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Are you saying that whether to shower or not after a game is a point of discussion in your area?
It is certainly a discussion point here. Most officials want the ability to shower after the game. You come from work or you going somewhere immediately after the game, taking a shower is often expected and if it is not available many will be upset. One reason we for the most part do not come dressed to games.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Where I work we're allowed to wear jeans every day if we want, but guess what none of the people in the offices with the big paychecks wear them Monday thru Thursday so neither do I because that's where I want to be. I could say the same about officiating (even though it's not acceptable to wear them here that I know of), but even if it was they don't wear the belts where I want to go. Dress for the job you want, anywhere in life not just officiating.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 09:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This is the part I don't understand. Do officiating supply stores even SELL belted pants anymore? Or are people just buying slacks from Penneys?
No they do not, at least not as a featured part of their uniform line. If you do find pants with loops, you probably looked hard on their website to find them.

Even back 18 years ago, I had to go to Wal-mart to buy a pair of pants to referee my first few games, not knowing or being familiar with the main officiating supply stores. When I saw everyone was wearing pants without a belt, I jumped on the bandwagon and realized that what you wear is a reflection of your professionalism. I guess some will never understand that point of view.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 05:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Space Cadets ...

Quote:
They can if they want to, but most young'uns, emulating the college guys, chose to wear beltless slacks. During the floor training of "cadets" that just passed the written test, they are told that they can wear belted, or beltless slacks, as long as the belt is a black belt, just like the IAABO manual states. Most "belted" officials are grizzled veterans, like myself. When IAABO, on some level, international, state, or local, decides that belts are out, then I'll just buy some beltless slacks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 16, 2014 at 06:30pm.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dress Pants ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Haggar.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They can if they want to, but most young'uns chose to wear beltless slacks. During the floor training of "cadets" that just passed the written test, they are told that they can wear belted, or beltless slacks, as long as the belt is a black belt, just like the IAABO manual states. Most "belted" officials are grizzled veterans, like myself. When IAABO, on some level, international, state, or local, decides that belts are out, then I'll just buy some beltless slacks.
I don't get the big deal. It's black pants. If a black belt is worn who cares. The uniform is black pants, black shoes, striped shirt. I'd rather an official be able to officiate.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dress For Success ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
Dress for the job you want, anywhere in life not just officiating.
Belts, or no belts, have absolutely no impact on our peer ratings, or rankings, which impact the number, and level, of games that we are assigned by our assignment commissioner. State tournament assignments are assigned according to coaches voting, and I can assure you, they don't give a damn if an official wears a belt, or not, as long as they do a great job calling the game on the court.

An ill fitting, sloppy, dirty, wrinkled, uniform, or jacket, worn scuffed shoes, or shoes with any white on them, will have negative impact on your peer rating (appearance counts 10%), which, in turn, will negatively impact one's ranking, and the number, and level, of games that one is assigned by our assignment commissioner.

Showing up for a game in uniform, or not showing up wearing business casual, will usually have negative impact on your peer rating, which, in turn, will negatively impact one's ranking, and the number, and level, of games that one is assigned by our assignment commissioner.

Think of belts, or no belts, in my little corner of Connecticut, the same as Smitty lanyards, or noose lanyards, in most other parts of the country.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 16, 2014 at 06:53pm.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is certainly a discussion point here.
Showers, no uniforms, business casual street clothes, etc. really didn't become an issue here until we merged with the last non-IAABO board in Connecticut a few years ago. Their "culture" was to show up in uniform, not shower, and high tail it out of the school right after the game, while still in uniform.

That was fine for their old local non-IAABO board (When in Rome ...), but it didn't fly on our local IAABO board. We've always tried to act, and dress, professionally, and to not demonstrate a get in, get out, and get paid attitude. These new guys got a lot of low peer ratings until they eventually figured out the existing (for a long time) culture of our local IAABO board. We told them, they just didn't believe us, i.e. that appearance, on, and off, the court, would impact their assignments.

Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:32pm
We don't rent pigs

This is the weirdest one yet. Low rating for leaving when the game is over.

jmo

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Culture ...

From a recent local board newsletter:

When arriving at a game site, people immediately judge you by your appearance. Make a good first impression by coming to game sites dressed professionally in business casual attire. Consider purchasing a sweater, pullover, or vest, with an IAABO logo, or a local board logo. Common sense dictates that some afternoon assignments may require officials to arrive in uniform, or in work clothes. Middle school sites may lack secure dressing areas, and may not have shower facilities available.

For most high school games, where secure dressing areas, and showers, are available, officials should not come dressed in uniform, and should not come dressed in sneakers, work boots, jeans, T-shirts, etc. It looks bad, and reflects poorly on the local board. On court, the official’s uniform should be clean, pants pressed, all black shoes shined, jacket unwrinkled, and the official should be well groomed. Officials should shower after the game and should not leave wearing a uniform. Doing so could give the impression that the official wants to “get in, get out, and get paid”, which is not the impression that local board officials want to present. Officials should leave the game site together. Even in this day in age when everyone has a cell phone, and many have some type of “roadside assistance”, it’s not fun sitting in a cold car, in a lonely parking lot, with a dead battery, or a flat tire, waiting for help to arrive.

Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Culture ...

Quote:
It gets worse that that. Junior varsity officials are expected to stay for at least one half of the varsity game. Most, especially if they want to move up quickly stay for entire game. Back in the day, I did.

Again, from a recent local board newsletter:

The four officials at a high school game site should work together as a team. Varsity officials should arrive at the game site no later than the beginning of the second period of the junior varsity game. Junior varsity officials should stay and observe the varsity game until at least halftime of the varsity game in order to learn by watching experienced officials. Many varsity officials try to show up for the beginning of the junior varsity game, and many junior varsity officials will often stay to observe the entire varsity game. The overlap will insure that an official is available if one of the officials at the site becomes ill, or injured. The local board expects veteran officials to observe and offer constructive appraisals, with specific suggestions, to less experienced officials. The local board expects less experienced officials to seek out, and ask for input, from more experienced officials. Partners are expected to offer constructive appraisals to each other. "So? What did you see out there?” is an easy way to start a post-game conversation.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 16, 2014 at 06:54pm.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From a recent local board newsletter:

When arriving at a game site, people immediately judge you by your appearance. Make a good first impression by coming to game sites dressed professionally in business casual attire. Consider purchasing a sweater, pullover, or vest, with an IAABO logo, or a local board logo. Common sense dictates that some afternoon assignments may require officials to arrive in uniform, or in work clothes. Middle school sites may lack secure dressing areas, and may not have shower facilities available.

For most high school games, where secure dressing areas, and showers, are available, officials should not come dressed in uniform, and should not come dressed in sneakers, work boots, jeans, T-shirts, etc. It looks bad, and reflects poorly on the local board. On court, the official’s uniform should be clean, pants pressed, all black shoes shined, jacket unwrinkled, and the official should be well groomed. Officials should shower after the game and should not leave wearing a uniform. Doing so could give the impression that the official wants to “get in, get out, and get paid”, which is not the impression that local board officials want to present. Officials should leave the game site together. Even in this day in age when everyone has a cell phone, and many have some type of “roadside assistance”, it’s not fun sitting in a cold car, in a lonely parking lot, with a dead battery, or a flat tire, waiting for help to arrive.
It's funny because I have seen many sharply dressed officials who didn't know a whistle from a leaf blower. I hate "perception" but I do like "reality". I agree your game uniform should be nice, and you shouldn't show up looking like a schlep, but I am a proponent for officials being rated and judged based on their ability to officiate.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hygiene 101 ...

Quote:
No shower? Please don't sit next to me at the local Outback, Applebee's, TGIF's, Ruby Tuesday's, etc., on a Friday night after the games as we all tell our war stories. Even if I wasn't stopping for an adult beverage after the game, there's no way that I want to sit in sweaty uniform on the long ride home after the game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 16, 2014 at 06:55pm.