The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 01:05am
Often wrong never n doubt

Would you call a T here?

H1 dives to the basket from the left wing. I am L opposite of where he drove from. H1 lays the ball in with minimal body contact that I ruled incidental. After the ball goes in H1's momentum carries him towards me. When he is about 5 or 6 feet from me he looks at me with an intense angry look and says "and 1" in a lounge intense tone. It wasn't quits a yell but louder than normal speech. Loud enough for that corner of the gym to hear. Is this a T in your game?
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 01:07am
Back from the DL

At the very least, it's a "not again" from me, but partially depending upon the atmosphere, that could likely be a T.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

3 options.....
1. Ignore it ( not the best choice)
2. A warning that EVERYONE in the gym hears. (My preference)
3. "You got it". WHACK.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Whack. Every time in my corner of FED land.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
H1 dives to the basket from the left wing. I am L opposite of where he drove from. H1 lays the ball in with minimal body contact that I ruled incidental. After the ball goes in H1's momentum carries him towards me. When he is about 5 or 6 feet from me he looks at me with an intense angry look and says "and 1" in a lounge intense tone. It wasn't quits a yell but louder than normal speech. Loud enough for that corner of the gym to hear. Is this a T in your game?
Definitely a technical foul.

Now since you have a player who is clearly unhappy with the amount of contact which you are deeming incidental, you may wish to reconsider your thinking on that point.

When players are airborne, they are at risk of injury and cannot control their balance when contacted. Thus officials are instructed to "protect the shooter." Basically, what this means is that we have to diligently scrutinize any contact on an airborne player attempting to shoot, pass, or even rebound. The amount of contact may be far less than when players are in contact with the floor, but may have much more impact upon a player's body movement, ability to make the desired play, or under how great of a risk of injury it places the player. Such factors form the difference between marginal and illegal contact.

Key points to help us determine the legality of any such contact are the positioning of the players prior to becoming airborne, verticality, and who is the initiator.

So rather than simply discount the player's expression of displeasure as an example of poor sportsmanship which one should penalize and then move on from, I would advise considering it an opportunity to re-evaluate how much physical contact you are allowing on drives to the basket and subsequent airborne players. What kind of feedback are you getting from the players, coaches, and your partners? Is this the only incident of an unhappy participant which you've experienced or are you getting a few complaints a game?
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

probably not a T, but it would depend on what else had happened.

Players want an "and one" on almost any drive to the basket.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 09:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

At the least, "and one" gets a quick talk. If it's said in anger, and it sounds like this was, there's a good chance it's a T.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Now since you have a player who is clearly unhappy with the amount of contact which you are deeming incidental, you may wish to reconsider your thinking on that point.
That's right. When a player is unhappy, you should change how you call the game so that he will be happy.

Players will "and one" every drive to the basket. It doesn't even get on my radar. Technical foul for this? How about looking at the kid and saying, "Knock it off." There, you addressed it and didn't interrupt the game.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Adrenaline can sometimes mess with a players sense of how much much contact they received..sometimes its exaggerated(or invented) and sometimes its completely negated.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:18am
Often wrong never n doubt

To me this was more of how it was said and not what was said. I hear "and one" a lot but not in the way it was directed at me.

As far as protecting a shorter, almost all contact was initiated by the offense jumping into a stationary vertical defender. The dribbler was definitely responsible for the contact.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me this was more of how it was said and not what was said. I hear "and one" a lot but not in the way it was directed at me.

As far as protecting a shorter, almost all contact was initiated by the offense jumping into a stationary vertical defender. The dribbler was definitely responsible for the contact.
Then it most likely wasn't a foul and you correctly held your whistle.
I also agree with you about the manner in which the comment was made. You wrote that it was directed right at you and with anger. That's a T without a doubt. I'm not taking that lack of respect from a player.

I can ignore a kid saying "and 1" to no one in particular after scoring, but not getting in my face.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Automatic Response ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Players want an "and one" on almost any drive to the basket.
Even when the ball doesn't go in, and a foul is called. Stupid player monkeys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's right. When a player is unhappy, you should change how you call the game so that he will be happy.
That's what you got from my post?

Perhaps I should change my posting style so that you will be happy.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Either a "knock it off," as Rich suggests. Or, "Hey, 24, you don't have to agree with me, but you can't do that."

If he's a hot head, find a team leader and have him talk to him
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's what you got from my post?

Perhaps I should change my posting style so that you will be happy.
Ok, that's funny.