The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Wow

From a game last night in Indiana,Haven't seen anything like this in a few years.
Girls' Basketball Game Turns Ugly With Some Help From Skylar Diggins
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:38pm
Back from the DL

This is exactly why I like the new rule that head coaches can come on the floor during a fight without beckoning.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

A bit of a mess at an Indiana HS game

Girls' Basketball Game Turns Ugly With Some Help From Skylar Diggins

The article has some details and some Twitter drama that is newsworthy because former Notre Dame star Skylar Diggins was involved. But there is also a video. I think I would have a double tech, with the one in green a flagrant. Also I don't like the "ejection" signal.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:52pm
AremRed

Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:54pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
This is exactly why I like the new rule that head coaches can come on the floor during a fight without beckoning.
Some good it did, opposing coaches started arguing twice and almost came to blows. Game management did a terrible job keeping people off the court too and I didn't like a single thing the refs did.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Duplicate thread, I think.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 01:31pm
#thereferee99

Great video to learn from.

Agree. Don't like a single thing refs did.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Some good it did, opposing coaches started arguing twice and almost came to blows. Game management did a terrible job keeping people off the court too and I didn't like a single thing the refs did.
Exactly how do you expect 1 or 2 people (game management) to keep so many people form coming onto the court? They probably don't have large budgets to hire a couple dozen security guards for every game.

Plus, what exactly would you have done that the officials didn't?
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
as well as the one keeping the assistants on the bench.....
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 03:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Down Goes Frazier! Down Goes Frazier! Down Goes Frazier! (Howard Cosell, 1973) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Exactly how do you expect 1 or 2 people (game management) to keep so many people from coming onto the court? They probably don't have large budgets to hire a couple dozen security guards for every game. Plus, what exactly would you have done that the officials didn't?
Agree. Considering that there was a knockout punch involved, I believe that the officials, and game management, did a pretty good job of keeping things under control. I would have liked to see how the fouls were reported, and penalized, especially if to see if the officials caught the White player pushing away the Green player, and if, and how, the assistant coaches, that came onto the floor to help restore order, were penalized.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly how do you expect 1 or 2 people (game management) to keep so many people form coming onto the court? They probably don't have large budgets to hire a couple dozen security guards for every game.

Camron, come on you know better. They probably would have hit their emergency, "easy" button and 20 security personnel would have popped out. I agree, 2 refs, 1 cop and maybe 2 or 3 administrators. Not much you can do.

I do hope the coaches each get at least 1 tech each. I would also, possibly, have some fans removed for coming on the court (but in all honesty if they were actually there to help, probably not). I would have a false double on the players involved.

1 T for white and a flagrant for green. I also wouldn't hover over the down players but I would work on making sure each team got to their bench and that nothing else escalates.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 03:16pm
AremRed

Quote:
1) two of the officials are wearing belts
2) C is leaning side to side during transition
3) neither L nor T close down when W43 pushes off with her arm, or when G2 begins to advance on her
4) neither L or T attempt to separate the players, instead they stand back and just put their arms in the air
5) L ejects the girl and keeps his arm in the air for 35 seconds while ignoring anything else he should be taking care of
6) C allows the woman in the neon green shirt to come on the floor and grab G2
7) none of the officials send the players to their benches
8) none of the officials notice two opposing coaches confronting each other until too late, twice
9) none of the coaches involved in the confrontation are issued technicals, hopefully they were teched later
10) dude in plaid green shirt is allowed to wander all over the court from 0:17 on (could be off-duty cop, def not game admin)
11) the coaches again confront each other, with an official standing right there not doing anything. Nothing productive can come from this.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 03:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Being Sarcastic In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Two of the officials are wearing belts.
Agree. If those two officials were not wearing belts, then the knockout punch, and its aftermath, would never have occurred. See what happens when officials try to hold their pants up. The horror.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 03:51pm
This IS My Social Life

Question

Quote:
4) neither L or T attempt to separate the players...
To my understanding this is discouraged anyhow.
Am I correct? Or am I in need of enlightenment?

Maybe now so many girls in the area won't want to try to wear those Skylar Diggins headthingies with the tails flopping five inches below the knot.
Naw, they still will.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

*Maybe* if one of the officials had come in with a little urgency after White #13 shoved Green #2 following Green #2’s foul they could’ve stopped the punch but that’s a maybe given there was a second – maybe two – between the shove and the punch. Cosmetically it would’ve looked better, especially since the T was in frame as the punch took place.

The line from the story “That prompted coaches, referees, and other adults to rush the court before things got out of hand” is a bit of a stretch. No one seemed to be moving too fast to break things up. I haven’t been in many fight situations – three in 20+ years, including one this season – but they generally involve a heck of a lot more running and panic than this one.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)