The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 05:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
May I suggest that you review the following as to number of FTs awarded and number of indirect Ts charged.

Rule 10, Section 4
ART. 5

The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not:

Leave the confines of the bench during a fight or when a fight may break out.

NOTE: The head coach may enter the court in the situation where a fight may break out – or has broken out – to prevent the situation from escalating.

PENALTY: (Art. 5) Flagrant foul, disqualification of individual offender, but only one technical-foul penalty is administered regardless of the number of offenders. This one foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach. If the head coach is an offender, an additional flagrant technical foul is charged directly to the coach and penalized. When a simultaneous technical foul(s) by opponents occurs, the free throws are not awarded when the penalties offset.

Doh! I forgot to subtract the two shots from green's total due to their HC's FTF (I noted it, just forgot to deduct at the end).

Two shots for white.
Six shots for green.

Green ball.

I think where I may have this wrong is with considering the ACs' participation to be direct. I don't consider them to have merely entered the court. I know they didn't actually throw any punches or touch any opponents, so I may have this wrong. In that case:

White gets two shots.
Green gets two shots and the ball (assuming none of the other knuckleheads milling around the court were green coaches.)
All visible coaches are ejected.

Is this where you were headed?
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

The second portion is closest to how I would administer this. Basic principle is cancel as many FTs as possible, except one can't offset those due to a personal foul with those due to technical.

Lastly, the woman in green who immediately runs out onto the court is costing her side a team technical foul and getting ejected from the gym. I still strongly believe that spectators have no business coming onto the court during a game.
If we can pinpoint any others who aren't game admin or trainers, the same applies to them.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 09:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The second portion is closest to how I would administer this. Basic principle is cancel as many FTs as possible, except one can't offset those due to a personal foul with those due to technical.

Lastly, the woman in green who immediately runs out onto the court is costing her side a team technical foul and getting ejected from the gym. I still strongly believe that spectators have no business coming onto the court during a game.
If we can pinpoint any others who aren't game admin or trainers, the same applies to them.
I'm only getting the coaches and/or bench personal for this, but I will have spectators like that woman removed. I'll track the bench personnel and let GM deal with the crowd. If they can't handle that, then that'll be part of my report to the association and the state (and likely in the new thread I start on here). We'll have enough Technical fouls with the coaches coming on here.

I'm still likely to have considered the coaches to have participated in the fight by verbally antagonizing the opponents, and there will be two free throws for each one; obviously canceling out as many as possible to the point where we only have one team shooting technical foul shots.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 10:21pm
NFHS Official

Quote:

You can under 2-8-1. I don't know that I ever would though.

Last edited by OKREF; Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 10:25pm.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm still likely to have considered the coaches to have participated in the fight by verbally antagonizing the opponents, and there will be two free throws for each one; obviously canceling out as many as possible to the point where we only have one team shooting technical foul shots.
In my opinion participation in an altercation by bench personnel requires physical interaction.
As for others, the message must be clearly sent and understood at the HS level that the court is a no fly zone for anyone with a team, but the players and head coaches (plus possibly a trainer in a severe injury situation). This is a safety issue. The officials and players can't have random people entering the court. It needs to be made clear that immediate expulsion from the event is the consequence and I also support penalizing the associated team, if the affiliation is clear.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 10:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not penalizing any fan coming onto the court just because they enter the court. Leave that up to the administrators to take care of that kind of thing. And in some cases those coming onto the court are administrators or school personnel. Heck in some cases they might be actual security like a police officer.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 07:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pants On Fire ...

Quote:
The woman in green who immediately runs out onto the court is costing her side a team technical foul.
When you stop her and ask her which team she is supporting, how do you know that she won't lie to you?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. If those two officials were not wearing belts, then the knockout punch, and its aftermath, would never have occurred. See what happens when officials try to hold their pants up. The horror.
And I might add, belts were not working for one ref who had a fat stomach and his shirt was not tucked in. Ugh!!!! Nasty looking