The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Question from a coach

I'm a varsity boys coach. I run into a consistent problem during games and I would like your advice on how to approach this with officials respectfully and productively.

My point guard is a small kid, but he is quicker and stronger than 95% of the guys guarding him. We run the popular dribble-drive offense and he's constantly penetrating. To defend him, our opponents have to hand check, bump, and push him. When they get away with it just a little, the next possession they do it more. And then a little more. And since the kid is physically able to withstand the pressure, he doesn't get knocked down...but he's obviously unable to get where he wants to go, and it isn't because he's being legally guarded.

There are games where the officials start off calling it tight, but when they see the scoreboard say that the fouls are 4-0 in mid-first quarter, they back off on the whistles and my opponent can resort to whatever tactics they want. I see this problem as twofold: the officials consciously or subconsciously don't want to "be here all night" by putting one team in the bonus that early, AND they want the fans to see that the game is being called fairly by making the fouls closer on the scoreboard. In both cases the rulebook is thrown out the window and we lose our advantage.

The bottom line is that I feel my player is punished for simply being tougher and stronger than his opponents, and the result is that our advantage in the game (in this case, having the best player on the court that almost nobody can guard) is not maximized. The officials are a big part of this, as all they need to do is call the game according to the rules, and this kid will either make his living at the free throw line 20 times a night, or he'll score at will, or the opponent will have no choice but to adjust and back off of him. The officials seem to consistently feel that it's their job to adjust to my opponent, not the other way around.

How should I communicate this issue with officials before or during my games? Do you have advice on how to deal with the officiating crew that does not seem to see this player through the same lens as everybody else on the floor?

Thank you, I appreciate your taking the time to read my post. To give some more context to the circumstances, I'm a fairly polite guy with officials--perhaps to a fault--and my players generally follow my lead on that. So none of this strikes me as officials holding a grudge against me or my team due to a personality clash. I really just want to know what to tell them or how to explain my argument in such a way that will help them call the game fairly.

Last edited by CoachJW; Wed Dec 25, 2013 at 01:49am.
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 03:30am
We don't rent pigs

Sir, with all due respect, you seem to have more answers than questions. If you are dealing with officials who are affected by a 4-0 foul count, don't want to be there all night, and don't call the game according to the rules, I see your situation as hopeless.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

My suggestion: Send video of one of your team's games to whomever assigns officials in your area. If this is an issue I'm sure the assignor/supervisor will address it with their staff.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 08:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

My Two Cents ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJW View Post
To defend him, our opponents have to hand check, bump, and push him
If your opponents are effecting his rhythm, speed, quickness, or balance, then these are, most certainly, fouls.

Quote:
... the kid is physically able to withstand the pressure, he doesn't get knocked down
Is it possible that he is able to "get through" the contact, and thus, even with the contact, he is able, with his speed, to get past his opponents. If so, the officials may be seeing this as incidental contact, with no advantage gained by the defense, and thus, no foul.

Quote:
... he's obviously unable to get where he wants to go
Some strong, quick players don't avoid contact, especially if they know that they can "get through" it. If it looks like a pinball game out there, he may be creating some of the contact, not enough for a player control foul, but some of the contact may be of his own volition.

Quote:
... when they see the scoreboard say that the fouls are 4-0 in mid-first quarter, they back off on the whistles
This is 100% poor officiating. Are these young officials that you are discussing, or are they veterans?

Quote:
... the officials consciously or subconsciously don't want to "be here all night" by putting one team in the bonus that early
Consciously, or subconsciously, this is poor officiating.

Quote:
... they want the fans to see that the game is being called fairly by making the fouls closer on the scoreboard
Once again, good officials don't do this.

Quote:
... tougher and stronger than his opponents
Again, if it's a pinball game out there, he may be creating some of the contact.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Often a coach will exclaim "It's 4-0" -- maning "stop calling 'fouls' on us."

You can counter with "even though it's 4-0, keep it up"
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Why do coaches always assume they know why officials are doing something or calling something one way or the other?

Is it possible that after 4-0, the other team adjusts and what was called is not happening any more? I am sometimes floored how because the game is not called the way a coach thinks, it is somehow a conspiracy as to why. Could it just be the teams adjusted and what was obviously a foul is harder to call?

Peace
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:06am
Back from the DL

CoachJW:

Thanks for the post. A few thoughts...

After opening night in my neck of the woods, I was lurking our state's fan message board. There was one particular thread regarding officials calling "too many" fouls. In one game, 76 fouls were called.

Of course, you had your typical "no fan wants to see that" comments, and squarely blamed the officials for making the games frustrating to watch. As I look back, I didn't see as many complaints since opening night, and my best guess is the players adapted. My point is, we shouldn't care what the fans think. As you correctly point out, we have a job to do.

As to how you can address what you see, I say in every pre-game to "question whatever you like, as long as you're civil about it." (No-one has ever taken advantage of this to where they're questioning everything.) I don't know how you can be polite "to a fault." Granted, every official has his individual threshold, but I don't see how you can go wrong with polite requests and questions. I also like JMF's suggestion of suggestion of a video to the supervisor(s). We're always learning.

Keep on advocating, sir. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
My suggestion: Send video of one of your team's games to whomever assigns officials in your area. If this is an issue I'm sure the assignor/supervisor will address it with their staff.
As my New York colleague says, this is something you address with the supervisor of officials. Trying to address this with individual officials will just lead to frustration.

A good supervisor will address this with his/her officials if there is a problem, or be direct and candid with you and let you know your complaints are unfounded.
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

This is 100% poor officiating. Are these young officials that you are discussing, or are they veterans?

Consciously, or subconsciously, this is poor officiating.

Once again, good officials don't do this.
That is assuming the coach's version of events is accurate; still, he and we do not know what is going on in the minds of the officials.
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:56am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why do coaches always assume they know why officials are doing something or calling something one way or the other?
What coaches, players and fans don't understand is that there's only 2 (or 3) people in the entire gym who don't care which team wins the game.

And no, I don't mean the guys at the concession stand.
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 03:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Can't Believe That I'm Agreeing With Mark Padgett ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
What coaches, players and fans don't understand is that there's only 2 (or 3) people in the entire gym who don't care which team wins the game.
Officials are on the court to be the only unbiased arbiters of the game. Officials are not concerned with who wins or loses, but only fairness and safety. Everyone else in that gym cares about winning, and therefore cannot look at the game objectively. Players commit fouls and violations; officials view those infractions, judge the action, and then apply the rules of the game to what they had viewed. The rules then determine the penalty.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 03:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm a varsity boys coach. I run into a consistent problem during games and I would like your advice on how to approach this with officials respectfully and productively.

My point guard is a small kid, but he is quicker and stronger than 95% of the guys guarding him. We run the popular dribble-drive offense and he's constantly penetrating. To defend him, our opponents have to hand check, bump, and push him. When they get away with it just a little, the next possession they do it more. And then a little more. And since the kid is physically able to withstand the pressure, he doesn't get knocked down...but he's obviously unable to get where he wants to go, and it isn't because he's being legally guarded.

There are games where the officials start off calling it tight, but when they see the scoreboard say that the fouls are 4-0 in mid-first quarter, they back off on the whistles and my opponent can resort to whatever tactics they want. I see this problem as twofold: the officials consciously or subconsciously don't want to "be here all night" by putting one team in the bonus that early, AND they want the fans to see that the game is being called fairly by making the fouls closer on the scoreboard. In both cases the rulebook is thrown out the window and we lose our advantage.

The bottom line is that I feel my player is punished for simply being tougher and stronger than his opponents, and the result is that our advantage in the game (in this case, having the best player on the court that almost nobody can guard) is not maximized. The officials are a big part of this, as all they need to do is call the game according to the rules, and this kid will either make his living at the free throw line 20 times a night, or he'll score at will, or the opponent will have no choice but to adjust and back off of him. The officials seem to consistently feel that it's their job to adjust to my opponent, not the other way around.

How should I communicate this issue with officials before or during my games? Do you have advice on how to deal with the officiating crew that does not seem to see this player through the same lens as everybody else on the floor?

Thank you, I appreciate your taking the time to read my post. To give some more context to the circumstances, I'm a fairly polite guy with officials--perhaps to a fault--and my players generally follow my lead on that. So none of this strikes me as officials holding a grudge against me or my team due to a personality clash. I really just want to know what to tell them or how to explain my argument in such a way that will help them call the game fairly.
First of all, this is all conjecture. Unless the officials tell you these things, which I highly doubt, then you have no idea what they're thinking or why things may change in the course of a game.

Secondly, I would do as has been suggested: send a tape to the person who assigns games and ask for his honest feedback. You may be surprised at the response.
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We were ask to clean the game up.Hand check was a big topic in off season.Now we have double bonus in every game this year.I ref and will never look at the team fouls,but with the game over late in 30 point contest is a hand check call important maybe for the losing team,but in close game it will be called.Every ref calls the game differently but being consitent is important.The ref who will not be there long, needs not to call.

Last edited by Ky ref; Wed Dec 25, 2013 at 10:30pm.
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am a volleyball coach and official and I have learned a ton about officiating from the guys (and girls) on this site. I have coached and officiated each for over 20 years so since you asked for advice, I'll chime in.

If you want to know how to effectively talk to an official, become an official. I'm not saying give up coaching and only officiate. I'm saying to add officiating to your resume. I'm lucky in that high school girls play volleyball in the fall and high school boys play in the spring so I can coach one and officiate the other. I realize that in most (if not all) states girls and boys high school basketball seasons run concurrently. That shouldn't stop you from coaching a high school team and then officiating a different level (middle school, grade school) or rec leagues or AAU.

Not only will you learn to look at games and situations differently, you will gain more rules knowledge and a better understanding of what officials are looking at and for. (sorry about ending that sentence with a preposition) You'll also experience many instances of communicating with coaches and you'll learn how to effectively communicate with officials. Hopefully you'll also earn the respect of fellow officials who then won't look at you when you coach as one of the many rules-challenged coaches that they often encounter. That doesn't mean that you should expect favorable treatment, just that they may be more willing to give you an ear than they would a clueless coach.

And lastly, you'll learn that many times officials are correct when there is disagreement with coaches! It constantly amazes me that coaches (even those that I consider to be high-level coaches) simply don't know the rules and argue about calls and decisions that are clearly correct.
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 08:45pm
beware big brother

Quote:

1. I do not think it is ever a good idea for a coach to tell an official before the game that they have a player who is too good to be legally defended and is fouled constantly without getting any calls. So I would recommend you refrain from addressing this before any game starts. If you tried this with me, I would put you on ignore immediately.

2. Once the game starts, you can ask legitimate questions about specific plays where you thought your player was fouled and no call was made. I would not recommend you do this often, only on the most obvious ones.

3. I am sure the coaches, players, and fans of the opposing team do not see your player in the same light as you do.

4. If your player is as good and strong as you say, he is probably playing through a lot of the contact and is not having his rsbq affected.