Where was the collision?
Old Sun Dec 22, 2013, 04:55pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Where was the collision?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
After my whistle A1 keeps running past B1 and runs into B2 who is at the 3 point line.
I was Trail, Lead was at the end line, C was at FTLE tableside. I was behind and to the side of my primary matchup, following the dribbler and his primary defender. Contact between A1 and B2 occurred right outside the 3 point line, about 2/3 of the way from the sideline to the nearer lane line.

Last edited by AremRed; Sun Dec 22, 2013 at 04:59pm.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2013, 09:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

They knew what to do. They did nothing because they didn't see anything.

In the future everyone needs to have better dead ball awareness. When I see players continuing action after the whistle, I toot my whistle loudly to get them to stop.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2013, 11:14pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
They knew what to do. They did nothing because they didn't see anything.

In the future everyone needs to have better dead ball awareness. When I see players continuing action after the whistle, I toot my whistle loudly to get them to stop.
Correct. And absent them seeing anything I was considering making a call based on a guess, a gut feeling. Sounds like a made an ok no-call. Hopefully I'll stop thinking about it now.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I am assuming this was a JV or V contest. Why don't you call the AD at the school and ask for a copy of the game. I will often bring a blank CD / self addressed envelope with postage with me to games. More often than not the AD, head coach, or athletic dept are more than happy to mail me a copy. You want some good constructive critism wait until you see yourself on video.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 05:19am
AremRed

Here is the video. A couple plays here:

Play 1: Blocked shot
Play 2: Block/charge play
Play 3: Dead ball contact

I am Trail.

Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 08:34am
Courageous When Prudent

1) Clean block

2) Block or nothing

3) Collision happened so fast after the whistle, it's hard to tell. Offensive player was going set a pick then turned after hearing whistle. If anything, I go to him and said, "You might have got away with one right there, but we'll be watching for anything else"
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

I have nothing on all three plays.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 08:50am
Do not give a damn!!

1. Clean Block.

2. Nothing.

3. Probably nothing, but I would have to know the context of the game. Was this a trouble maker or was this just the first time this type of contact took place? I might talk to the player as well, but doubt that alone would be a foul.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 09:06am.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

1. Looks clean

2. Blocking foul

3. Nothing in of itself...game situation might dictate otherwise.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:55pm
AremRed

I agree with APG that the block/charge play needs a whistle. Why do you other guys say no-call?
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 04:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I agree with APG that the block/charge play needs a whistle. Why do you other guys say no-call?
To me, A1 was going to land on the floor regardless of the slight contact with B1.

Could it be a foul? Yes. But is a no-call here the worse thing in the world? Nope.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

For me, the video is not about whether the call should have been made (you already said neither you nor your partners saw it.) It is this: what can I do the next time to be sure I see the illegal dead ball contact?

I think you and your partners were all doing their job well. Sometimes, stuff happens. The C, who might be in best position, can't see it because he is screened by other players...and has the back of the play. The lead is hustling to get ahead of the play, is properly looking back, but is not in any great position to see the off-ball contact. And you -- who might have the best view -- are watching the play up the sidelines.

Your original question, before the video was posted, was "What do you do when you feel there is a illegal dead ball contact, but you have not seen it?"

Even with this single video angle, I cannot say for sure that B2 used his forearm to send A1 to the ground. It probably happened...but the video does not "prove it."

As others have said....don't call what you didn't see. And don't sweat this one any more. You and your partners did all that is expected of you.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First half, I am Trail opposite. 5 seconds left in the first half. Black takes the sideline inbound pass and drives up the court. B1 beats his primary defender, A1. A1 runs to catch up, and tries to swat the ball away from B1. A1 fouls B1 on the arm, who loses the ball. Clock stops at .9 seconds. After my whistle A1 keeps running past B1 and runs into B2 who is at the 3 point line. I cannot see B2 because I am being screened by B1. There is contact between A1 and B2 and A1 ends up on the floor. I hold my original foul call and look to my partners to see if they saw what led to the contact between A1 and B2. We don't gather, and after a few seconds I simply take the 1st foul to the table. At halftime I asked my partners and neither of them saw whether B2 set a legal screen that A1 ran into, or if B2 gave A1 a forearm (which is what A1 was claiming). Neither coach gave me any problems when I reported the foul, and we administered the bonus with B1 shooting.

Absent knowledge of how the dead-ball contact between A1 and B2 occurred, was I right to not call a technical? I felt that B1 was a secondary screener -- would this dead ball contact be Lead's call?

Not being a smarty pants but for situational purposes A is on offense and B is on defense when describing.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 06:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do not see displacement, I see a guy fly by a defender mostly. There might be slight contact, but nothing caused by the defender.

Peace