The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 09:53am
TODO: creative title here

Interesting throw-in situation

Last night, 9th grade boys game.

Team A has a throw-in, after a successful goal, coming out of a timeout, with about 30 seconds left in the game. Team B is running a full court press.

A1 has the throw-in, guarded by B1. A2 is starting at approximately the free-throw line, guarded by B2. A2 runs towards team A's backcourt endline, jumps OOB, lands, and receives a pass from A1. Then A2 throws to a wide-open A3, who is sprinting down the court for an uncontested lay-up.

Perfectly legal, as far as I can tell, per rules 7-6-2 and 7-5-7... but I gotta admit, for a few seconds I went into "did that just happen? Can they actually do that?" mode.

Nobody from Team B complained though, so either they knew the rule (hahaha) or they were just as stunned as I was.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 10:26am
Courageous When Prudent

If my crew has a chance to huddle before a situation like this, I like to remind the crew not to be surprised if Team A sends a player OOB to receive a pass.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:05pm
Stubborn Member

My high school varsity team had an OOB play just like this, which worked a lot more than you'd think.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

But this play can only be run after a made basket, correct? If its a spot throw in it is a violation?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 01:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
But this play can only be run after a made basket, correct? If its a spot throw in it is a violation?
Most definitely.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:11pm

Quote:
Correct. Which was another reason I went deer-in-headlights for a moment... took me a second to remember that the inbounds play was after a made basket and a timeout.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

The Official that administered the Throw-in should have informed the Thrower that s/he had the right to run the endline. This should have removed the surprise of A1 passing the ball to A2 while A2 was Out of Bounds.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
The Official that administered the Throw-in should have informed the Thrower that s/he had the right to run the endline. This should have removed the surprise of A1 passing the ball to A2 while A2 was Out of Bounds.
I wait until both the offense and the defense are in position for the throw in, then I announce which type of throw in we have.

Had a JV team try it a couple of years ago following a timeout. Unfortunately, the timeout was not requested following a score. I was C, right in front of their coach. T didn't call it, so I came and got it. He just shook his head at his kids.

"That's my fault, I taught them the play in practice."
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
The Official that administered the Throw-in should have informed the Thrower that s/he had the right to run the endline.
This is standard operating procedure around here.

Quote:
This should have removed the surprise of A1 passing the ball to A2 while A2 was Out of Bounds.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with this... just because you (as a player) know that the thrower can run the endline, doesn't necessarily mean that you (as a player) know that you can pass to a teammate outside the end line.

Of course, we (as officials) know this, but we all know that players and coaches don't know the rules at the depth that we as officials know them.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 05:56pm

And had this same play happen in a game last night... although this time it was during a throw-in after a held ball; my partner called the violation, and then we both had a chuckle. (we'd talked about it during our 'interesting things that have happened to us this season' portion of our pregame discussion).
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 06:19pm
NFHS Official

I think you questioned this because the player jumped. Had he received the pass prior to landing out of bounds you would have had a violation, but since he landed then caught it he was okay. Plus coming out of the time out probably added to the confusion, good job of not blowing it dead though.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Did the timer start the clock when A2 received the pass OOB? In my experience, the timer very often incorrectly starts the clock in this situation.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard of this and studied it but have not actually had that happen in a game. From what I have read of your post it is completely legal. I have wondered why you don't see it more often. I do tell them sometimes and signal they can run the end line but have never had a kid run it yet in 2 years.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 12:22pm
This IS My Social Life

Fify

Quote:
But this play can only be run after a made or awarded basket, correct? If its a spot throw in it is a violation?
Very common here. Two weeks ago we had a coach call a time out to set up a 7-5-7 throw-in play. Too bad the previous play was a violation. Waste of a perfectly good time out. He yelled at the girl, "Ask the referee next time!" Even though it was his idea. If that had been a Facebook page I would have pushed the Like button.