The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 10:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
In a normal last-shot situation you would be correct. In this case however waving off the shot is not dependant on the judgement of the responsible official, but rather rules knowledge of all the officials. The Lead had the best look at what kind of shot FGCU was taking, and the "responsible" official may not have had the best look. Thus, I think it is fine for the Lead to wave off by rule.
Exactly...it's possible they discussed this in pre-game or during the last time-out.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:20pm
Stubborn Member

Under NFHS rules any official can waive-off a shot, but only the center/trail official opposite the table can count it.

So in this case the lead official is well within his rights to waive-off the shot.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Under NFHS rules any official can waive-off a shot, but only the center/trail official opposite the table can count it.
Reference? I've not heard that before (and I'm pretty sure it's not "under NFHS rules.." )

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Dec 19, 2013 at 03:35pm.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 03:55pm
Stubborn Member

I can't find that terminology in the Officials Manual, but it is said to us in meetings quite often. The manual only says that the trail/center official opposite the table is responsible for the decision, and his/her partner(s) can help them if necessary.

Of course, if there is a disagreement among the officials, the referee is to make the final decision.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 04:11pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

This isn't correct, and whoever is telling you this is delusional. If this statement were true, it would promote/allow 2 or more different officials signaling on the same play at the same time. Theoretically, the center/trail opposite could be counting the basket, while one or both of the other officials could be waving it off. The mechanic on this is simple and straightforward. The official opposite makes the call whether or not to count the field goal, unless the officials on the court decide to do it differently beforehand. Only 1 official should have a signal on this play.

As far as the play in the OP, it doesn't matter who or how many officials wave this shot off. It has nothing to do with the clock. They are simply enforcing the rule that the player cannot catch the ball and score a basket when there is 0.3 or less on the clock. The only time judgment would come into play on this is if there is a debate as to whether or not the player did anything other than tap the ball.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Camron:

I agree with you. This is a good example of a long 0.3 seconds on the clock (0.30 seconds) as opposed to a short 0.3 seconds on the clock (0.21 seconds).

MTD, Sr.
Fixed your post
Old Tue Dec 24, 2013, 10:59am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post

Good job by the crew to remind both teams that a field goal would only count as long as the ball is tipped by FGCU.
1) I don't see where the officials are reminding the teams of this. Is there a spot in the video where you can see this?

2) When are you going to remind them? You're not going into the time-out huddle, are you?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 10:21pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Any chance somebody could rip this video and email it to me as a file? I have the "Youtube Downloader" extention in my Chrome browser, but it doesn't work anymore.

Or at least let me know how I can rip it myself? Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 10:38pm
#thereferee99

I use

Wondershare AllMyTube (Mac)