The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Florida Gulf Coast vs S Florida - 0.3 sec shot

This is about as close as it gets!

Good job by the crew to remind both teams that a field goal would only count as long as the ball is tipped by FGCU.

Enjoy.

Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thanks for posting. Was hoping someone would.

According to ESPN, the player guarding the inbound pass was 7'3"!
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Art. 18. In any period, when the game clock displays 10ths of seconds and play is to be resumed by a throw-in or a free throw when 3/10 (.3) of a second or less remains on the game clock, a player may not gain possession of the ball and try for a field goal. Such player can only score a field goal by means of a tap of a pass or of a missed free throw.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Art. 18. In any period, when the game clock displays 10ths of seconds and play is to be resumed by a throw-in or a free throw when 3/10 (.3) of a second or less remains on the game clock, a player may not gain possession of the ball and try for a field goal. Such player can only score a field goal by means of a tap of a pass or of a missed free throw.
Same in NFHS..NBA one can catch and shoot with .3 on the clock...with .2 or less, only a tap.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 11:02pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
This is about as close as it gets!
Nothing close about this play at all. Rule is clear. Player clearly caught the ball. Game over. What is close?
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty simple call by rule.

Of course, it could be argued that it is possible to catch and release such a shot in less than 0.3 seconds even if it isn't possible to do so on a normal jumpshot. But that would be a discussion for another day.

I just want to know why the official was over at the monitor after the shot was waived off. If the clock started on 0.3, there really isn't anything to be reviewed. I don't think that reviewing whether a player caught the ball or tapped the ball is a reviewable decision.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Dec 19, 2013 at 02:27am.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I just want to know why the official was over at the monitor after the shot was waived of. If the clock started on 0.3, there really isn't anything to be reviewed. I don't think that reviewing whether a player caught the ball or tapped the ball is a reviewable decision.
It’s mandatory under both NCAA codes. Since they made a call on the court – the 3/10 ruling – in a game-ending situation that determined the outcome of the contest the monitor review rule kicked in. Yeah, I know, by rule it’s not a try because the 3/10s rule exists but the monitor part is on the books (NCAA 11-3-1a.1)
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It’s mandatory under both NCAA codes. Since they made a call on the court – the 3/10 ruling – in a game-ending situation that determined the outcome of the contest the monitor review rule kicked in. Yeah, I know, by rule it’s not a try because the 3/10s rule exists but the monitor part is on the books (NCAA 11-3-1a.1)
I know that. But isn't that review is to see if it was released before time expired. In this case, it can't be, by rule. The video can't change that. Are they allowed to change the ruling of catch vs. tap?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Interesting enough...under NBA rules, they are not allowed to go to the monitor to review a made basket with .2 or .1 on the game or shot clock...even with a made basket with zero's on the clock being a replay trigger.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:51am
Administrator

Quote:
Pretty simple call by rule.

Of course, it could be argued that it is possible to catch and release such a shot in less than 0.3 seconds even if it isn't possible to do so on a normal jumpshot. But that would be a discussion for another day.

I just want to know why the official was over at the monitor after the shot was waived of. If the clock started on 0.3, there really isn't anything to be reviewed. I don't think that reviewing whether a player caught the ball or tapped the ball is a reviewable decision.

Camron:

I agree with you. This is a good example of a long 0.3 seconds on the clock (0.39 seconds) as opposed to a short 0.3 seconds on the clock (0.31 seconds).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 01:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Superb video for training purposes.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know that. But isn't that review is to see if it was released before time expired. In this case, it can't be, by rule. The video can't change that. Are they allowed to change the ruling of catch vs. tap?
Not that I'm aware of. I think it's just one of those editorial things that'll be cleared up. I can't remember a situation exactly like this in the few years monitor use has been mandatory on game-ending shots.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Just curious ... it seems to be the correct call, but isn't the call on the last second shot supposed to be the official opposite the table (either T or C)? Is it different under NCAA rules?

Maybe this is based on association/assignor preference rather than rule, but my understanding is that the L doesn't make the last second shot call (although all officials are expected to have an opinion on these plays in case it needs to be discussed).
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 09:16am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Just curious ... it seems to be the correct call, but isn't the call on the last second shot supposed to be the official opposite the table (either T or C)? Is it different under NCAA rules?

Maybe this is based on association/assignor preference rather than rule, but my understanding is that the L doesn't make the last second shot call (although all officials are expected to have an opinion on these plays in case it needs to be discussed).
In a normal last-shot situation you would be correct. In this case however waving off the shot is not dependant on the judgement of the responsible official, but rather rules knowledge of all the officials. The Lead had the best look at what kind of shot FGCU was taking, and the "responsible" official may not have had the best look. Thus, I think it is fine for the Lead to wave off by rule.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

The crew also might change things depending on the specifics. So, for example, if there were .4 left -- the T might have it on a short-pass-long-shot play, the C between the circles and the L on a long-pass-short-shot play (as in the OP)