The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Florida Gulf Coast vs S Florida - 0.3 sec shot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96809-florida-gulf-coast-vs-s-florida-0-3-sec-shot.html)

dahoopref Wed Dec 18, 2013 04:49pm

Florida Gulf Coast vs S Florida - 0.3 sec shot

This is about as close as it gets!

Good job by the crew to remind both teams that a field goal would only count as long as the ball is tipped by FGCU.

Enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u_s1nJH8aPo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

grunewar Wed Dec 18, 2013 05:07pm

Thanks for posting. Was hoping someone would.

According to ESPN, the player guarding the inbound pass was 7'3"!

bwburke94 Wed Dec 18, 2013 05:19pm

Art. 18. In any period, when the game clock displays 10ths of seconds and play is to be resumed by a throw-in or a free throw when 3/10 (.3) of a second or less remains on the game clock, a player may not gain possession of the ball and try for a field goal. Such player can only score a field goal by means of a tap of a pass or of a missed free throw.

APG Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwburke94 (Post 914970)
Art. 18. In any period, when the game clock displays 10ths of seconds and play is to be resumed by a throw-in or a free throw when 3/10 (.3) of a second or less remains on the game clock, a player may not gain possession of the ball and try for a field goal. Such player can only score a field goal by means of a tap of a pass or of a missed free throw.

Same in NFHS..NBA one can catch and shoot with .3 on the clock...with .2 or less, only a tap.

johnny d Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 914965)
This is about as close as it gets!

Nothing close about this play at all. Rule is clear. Player clearly caught the ball. Game over. What is close?

Camron Rust Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49pm

Pretty simple call by rule.

Of course, it could be argued that it is possible to catch and release such a shot in less than 0.3 seconds even if it isn't possible to do so on a normal jumpshot. But that would be a discussion for another day.

I just want to know why the official was over at the monitor after the shot was waived off. If the clock started on 0.3, there really isn't anything to be reviewed. I don't think that reviewing whether a player caught the ball or tapped the ball is a reviewable decision.

JetMetFan Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 915035)
I just want to know why the official was over at the monitor after the shot was waived of. If the clock started on 0.3, there really isn't anything to be reviewed. I don't think that reviewing whether a player caught the ball or tapped the ball is a reviewable decision.

It’s mandatory under both NCAA codes. Since they made a call on the court – the 3/10 ruling – in a game-ending situation that determined the outcome of the contest the monitor review rule kicked in. Yeah, I know, by rule it’s not a try because the 3/10s rule exists but the monitor part is on the books (NCAA 11-3-1a.1)

Camron Rust Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 915039)
It’s mandatory under both NCAA codes. Since they made a call on the court – the 3/10 ruling – in a game-ending situation that determined the outcome of the contest the monitor review rule kicked in. Yeah, I know, by rule it’s not a try because the 3/10s rule exists but the monitor part is on the books (NCAA 11-3-1a.1)

I know that. But isn't that review is to see if it was released before time expired. In this case, it can't be, by rule. The video can't change that. Are they allowed to change the ruling of catch vs. tap?

APG Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:45am

Interesting enough...under NBA rules, they are not allowed to go to the monitor to review a made basket with .2 or .1 on the game or shot clock...even with a made basket with zero's on the clock being a replay trigger.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 915035)
Pretty simple call by rule.

Of course, it could be argued that it is possible to catch and release such a shot in less than 0.3 seconds even if it isn't possible to do so on a normal jumpshot. But that would be a discussion for another day.

I just want to know why the official was over at the monitor after the shot was waived of. If the clock started on 0.3, there really isn't anything to be reviewed. I don't think that reviewing whether a player caught the ball or tapped the ball is a reviewable decision.

Camron:

I agree with you. This is a good example of a long 0.3 seconds on the clock (0.39 seconds) as opposed to a short 0.3 seconds on the clock (0.31 seconds).

MTD, Sr.

JugglingReferee Thu Dec 19, 2013 01:31am

Superb video for training purposes.

JetMetFan Thu Dec 19, 2013 06:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 915042)
I know that. But isn't that review is to see if it was released before time expired. In this case, it can't be, by rule. The video can't change that. Are they allowed to change the ruling of catch vs. tap?

Not that I'm aware of. I think it's just one of those editorial things that'll be cleared up. I can't remember a situation exactly like this in the few years monitor use has been mandatory on game-ending shots.

HokiePaul Thu Dec 19, 2013 08:58am

Just curious ... it seems to be the correct call, but isn't the call on the last second shot supposed to be the official opposite the table (either T or C)? Is it different under NCAA rules?

Maybe this is based on association/assignor preference rather than rule, but my understanding is that the L doesn't make the last second shot call (although all officials are expected to have an opinion on these plays in case it needs to be discussed).

AremRed Thu Dec 19, 2013 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 915063)
Just curious ... it seems to be the correct call, but isn't the call on the last second shot supposed to be the official opposite the table (either T or C)? Is it different under NCAA rules?

Maybe this is based on association/assignor preference rather than rule, but my understanding is that the L doesn't make the last second shot call (although all officials are expected to have an opinion on these plays in case it needs to be discussed).

In a normal last-shot situation you would be correct. In this case however waving off the shot is not dependant on the judgement of the responsible official, but rather rules knowledge of all the officials. The Lead had the best look at what kind of shot FGCU was taking, and the "responsible" official may not have had the best look. Thus, I think it is fine for the Lead to wave off by rule.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 19, 2013 09:22am

The crew also might change things depending on the specifics. So, for example, if there were .4 left -- the T might have it on a short-pass-long-shot play, the C between the circles and the L on a long-pass-short-shot play (as in the OP)