Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 05:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Now ??? Where's My Black Belt ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Man, thats crazy!!
.. and that's why Connecticut is known as ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Here we don't do a whole lot of three man until the playoffs. One tournament in a three board area (which I am aware of) does 3-man for the finals. Section playoff Quarterfinals onward are conducted in 3-man.I like the idea of if you expect officials to learn and be competent in 3-man exposes them to it at the lower levels, that way it won't be a shock to the system when they have to do it at the varsity level.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm going to guess that less than two, or three, percent of the varsity games in my little corner of Connecticut, are three person games. I would bet my house that zero percent of subvarsity games are three person games. In fact, I would go as far as saying that there are more one person subvarsity games than there are three person subvarsity games.

My first, and only, experience with a three person game was a boys varsity game in a holiday tournament. It could be described as a "big game", which is why three officials were assigned to that game. Previous to that, I had only studied three person mechanics in the manual, never on the floor.

One year, we had a voluntary, preseason, one hour, "on the floor", three person demonstration by our interpreter. Only a couple of dozen officials showed up. This demonstration hasn't been offered since.

For some officials on my local board, their first three person game is a state tournament quarterfinal game. The only exception would be those officials that also work college games, and there aren't too many of those.
Billy,

About 10 years ago, our association decided to assign all games as 3 person crews. This includes middle and sub-varsity games. The intent was to shorten the training curve. Works well down here.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 07:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Where's My Buggy Whip ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Billy, About 10 years ago, our association decided to assign all games as 3 person crews. This includes middle and sub-varsity games. The intent was to shorten the training curve. Works well down here.
Varsity coaches, especially those that win state championships with defensively oriented teams, and carry, with that, a lot in influence in the Connecticut High School Coaches Association (a strong organization here in Connecticut), don't want three officials. The Coaches Association has influence over our state high school athletics governing body, so the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC), the state governing body, hasn't pushed the three person issue. At levels lower than that, athletic directors, and principals, don't want to pay for the extra officials for subvarsity, and middle school, games.

Until winning, defensively oriented, influential, varsity coaches change their mind, retire, or get hit by a school bus, we won't have three person games in Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 13, 2013 at 05:28pm.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 08:17am
Always Carded Ref

It happens

It happens and I learned 3-man in camp but my first experience was horrific and a good friend told me that no official is perfect and if we watch the tape regardless of 2-man or 3-man we all could write a book of things that we could've done better.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Varsity coaches, especially those that win state championships with defensively oriented teams, and carry, with that, a lot in influence in the Connecticut High School Coaches Association (a strong organization here in Connecticut), don't want three officials. The Coaches Association has influence over our state high school athletics governing body, so the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference, the state governing body, hasn't pushed the three person issue. At levels lower than that, athletic directors, and principals, don't want to pay for the extra officials for subvarsity, and middle school, games.

Until winning, defensively oriented, influential varsity coaches change their mind, retire, or get hit by a school bus, we won't have three person games in Connecticut.
That is almost laughable. Even here in our agricultural state with smaller athletic budgets, most of the coaches were sick of seeing fouls not being called (and they impacted the results of the game) because their seat on the bench was the same look as the "C." Often times they would watch tape and/or look at our correct positioning and see why plays weren't guessed on and called fouls or vice-versa where a foul was called because the official guessed when it was a legal play. I am glad we have made headways in this the last 5-10 years to where even many of our smaller schools have gond to 3-whistle coverage.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Crew dynamics are important.

It's important to have a very strong official on every game -- someone you can point at who you know will handle things when "it" hits the fan.

The second official should be at least solid enough to work his primary and get his calls right as close to 100% of the time as possible.

Unfortunately, it sounds as though your crew had 3 U2s.

I've been there back when I was just learning how to work 3-person years ago. Sometimes the best thing you can do as an individual is decide that if nobody else is going to step up, it might as well be you. Show confidence even if you don't have it and do your best.

But your assigner isn't doing you any favors.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Billy,

About 10 years ago, our association decided to assign all games as 3 person crews. This includes middle and sub-varsity games. The intent was to shorten the training curve. Works well down here.
Curious...how did you "sell" this to the middle schools and high schools for sub -varsity and get them to agree to pay for a third official?
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Curious...how did you "sell" this to the middle schools and high schools for sub -varsity and get them to agree to pay for a third official?
We've done it for sub varsity at the big schools. The sell comes with the better quality officials in the varsity contests since you don't have guys learning 3-man in varsity games.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 05:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not All About Money ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
That is almost laughable. Even here in our agricultural state with smaller athletic budgets.
Money is a only a very small part of the two, or three, person debate here in my little corner of Connecticut.

Quote:
Varsity coaches, especially those that win state championships with defensively oriented teams, and carry, with that, a lot in influence in the Connecticut High School Coaches Association (a strong organization here in Connecticut), don't want three officials. The Coaches Association has influence over our state high school athletics governing body, so the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC), the state governing body, hasn't pushed the three person issue. Until winning, defensively oriented, influential, varsity coaches change their mind, retire, or get hit by a school bus, we won't have three person games in Connecticut.
The coaches that win conference, league, and state titles are, for the most part, very defensively oriented coaches. Because they win, they carry a lot of power in the Coaches Association, and thus, the State governing body. These guys like to press, and trap, and fight through screens, and play man to man, etc. They figure that with an extra official out on the court, more fouls will be called, more players will be in foul trouble, more opponents will be be shooting free throws, etc., putting them, and their defensive style, at a disadvantage.

Coaches down in the southeastern corner of the state have "seen the light", and have encouraged their leagues, and conferences, to use three man crews for "big" varsity games.

But here in my little corner of the state, and in a few other parts of the state, coaches just don't want a third man, or woman, on court.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 13, 2013 at 06:22pm.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

"My crew included myself (official of 5 years but with only a dozen varsity games), a 7 year veteran with only 20 varsity game experience, and a first time varsity official with no varsity or three man game experience."

Bad, bad idea from the assignor. He may to have realizes that this was going to be a tough game…..abut you MUST have at least 1 strong veteran in ANY varsity game, Crazy things happen, and someone need to experience to deal calmly with it.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
In my opinion...this falls directly on the two officials with experience. If one of you sees there are two T officials the experienced official at trail needs to slide down and become C. If they SHOULD be the trail, trust the lead to close down on the lane and help you cover. There will be very few in the gym that knows the three of you are out of position.

As far as the last shot of the half. If you knew it was clearly release before the buzzer, why didn't you just count the basket yourself and have another teaching moment during the half.

Now that said, with everything going on I would imagine you had a lot running through your head and he probably took you "out of your game". Learn from it, teach as much as you can during dead balls and move on.
Yes we did correct the rotations that were wrong except for the ones that they wouldn't look at me and didn't realize they missed it and the ball went oob on the sideline where there was no one at, and things like that. And yes my mind was everywhere except for officiating my game. That was my biggest fault.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 05:07pm. Reason: formatting
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...took a pay cut....so that we could "sell" 3-Whistle.

At first some of us were hesitant...but, man o man...has this been a godsend.

We do ALL High School games 3-Whistle...and some M.S. games for training.

I can't imagine doing 2 person all year and then expect to be proficient in 3 person when the "big game" or "playoffs" come around.
Richland, WA
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...took a pay cut....so that we could "sell" 3-Whistle.

At first some of us were hesitant...but, man o man...has this been a godsend.

We do ALL High School games 3-Whistle...and some M.S. games for training.

I can't imagine doing 2 person all year and then expect to be proficient in 3 person when the "big game" or "playoffs" come around.
We're almost the exact same. For us, varsity was mandated at the state level, so nothing we had to do, as far as sub varsity/middle school, we're lucky enough to have two AD's in our region that somewhat progressive in that they realize the importance of that 3rd official, and basically made a statement in support of it. Initially we also took a pay cut, but after a year or two, the president of our association set up a meeting to discuss how much 3 have helped, and the AD's agreed to buck up for the 3rd.