The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Anyone disagree that you can't beat this crew working the Heat/Pistons game 7?

Side note: great job by Crawford on the three at the end of the half.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Did you see the double dribble that Doug Collins wanted called on Shaq in the 2nd half?

There have certainly been a lot of offensive fouls in this series.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Definitely a good crew, who was the third official? Crawford, Bavetta and ????????

I wouldn't mind taking his spot.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Eddie Rush
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Side note: great job by Crawford on the three at the end of the half.
Do you mean that he did a great job with the TV monitor?

He didn't make a call at all during the live action. While I agree that the TV replay is the best way to handle these last shot situations because it enables the call to be correct almost every time, it certainly takes away from the task of officiating.

IMO he would have to have made the call during live action to get any credit.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Did you see the double dribble that Doug Collins wanted called on Shaq in the 2nd half?
Yep, and I love how he definitively stated that you can't do that. He was so sure of himself. I'm starting to wonder if all TV announcers are sent to a training school which instructs them to act like this whenever they don't have a clue. I'll admit that don't know the specifics of the NBA rules, but I can say that it wouldn't be a double dribble in NFHS.

4-15-4 NOTE 3: It is a dribble when a player stands still and bounces the ball. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.

Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
4-15-4 NOTE 3: It is a dribble when a player stands still and bounces the ball. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.
Maybe we should forward this to Doug's email?

[email protected]

There should be a mandatory rules meeting for all the announcers on TV, so they don't sound like complete boobs to those of us that know.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

The sad thing is that everyone else takes their word as gospel.

Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Rasheed vs Dwyane

Did you notice the foul call on Rasheed when he knocked away Dwyane's ball in his penetration? I wonder whether it is a right foul call on defense in that play if it happens in a High School game?

The play is like this: (I like Dwyane Wade, so I skip the part of his possible palming and 4-step layup in that single drive.)

at the last step of the layup, Dwyane tried to release the shot while both his arms extended horizontally in front of him. Behind Dwyane, Rasheed bent his body and extended his arm around Dwyane to knock the ball away from Dwyane's right side. Rasheed hand batted the ball almost without any body contact, then after the ball almost entirely left Dwyane's hand, Rasheed's arm hit Dwyane's on the follow through and nudge him out of balance. the ball went OOB.

My rationale is: because the shot is hopelessly blocked by a clean defense move at first, and the follow through contact does not put offense in any disadvantage afterwards (ball went OOB), the contact can be considered incidental, even though the offense player was hit hard (but not even close to flagrant). so it should be a no-call.

Do you think this thought make any sense? Thanks for your help.

Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the play, and I disagree completely with your take. I saw plenty of contact on the arms and shoulder while Rasheed was making the play. The chances of making a clean block when you are as out of position as Rasheed was and from that angle is next to impossible. Excellent call made by the trail who followed the play all the way in. Rasheed was complaining to Bavetta (the lead) about the call and it was not his to make. Rasheed is a clown and in his mind has never committed a foul
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
I saw the play, and I disagree completely with your take. I saw plenty of contact on the arms and shoulder while Rasheed was making the play. The chances of making a clean block when you are as out of position as Rasheed was and from that angle is next to impossible. Excellent call made by the trail who followed the play all the way in. Rasheed was complaining to Bavetta (the lead) about the call and it was not his to make. Rasheed is a clown and in his mind has never committed a foul

I was trying to figure out which foot remotely resembled the pivot foot after so many steps Dwyane took while holding the ball and exactly at which step Dwyane picked up the dribble in that layup, over and over again in slow motion. What I saw was there was plenty space between Rasheed uper body and Dwyane's, and between Rasheed arm and Dwyane's, at the moment Rasheed batted the ball. then the contact was all over Dwyane's body on the follow through. You must have seen it differently, which is perfectly ok.

Please just ignore what really happened, replace the two player names with A1 and B1, in the imaginary scenario as what I described, should I make a no-call or call it because the out of position block and hard hit in the follow through move? Thanks.

I did not pay attention who made that call. was it the trail or the lead? who was supposed to make the call on that play? Thanks again.

Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ysong
Quote:
[i]

Please just ignore what really happened, replace the two player names with A1 and B1, in the imaginary scenario as what I described, should I make a no-call or call it because the out of position block and hard hit in the follow through move? Thanks.

I did not pay attention who made that call. was it the trail or the lead? who was supposed to make the call on that play? Thanks again.

[/B]
Did he make contact with the shooter before he returned to the Floor? Did the defense gain and advantage? If the answers are yes, Tweet Foul.

The trail called it as it originated at the top of the key went in the lane and shot went up on the right side of the lane. Bavetta was lead Rush was trail... one whistle on the Play because Bavetta was watching Shaq and B. Wallace. Therefore it is trail's (Rush) call to take it from his primary to the hole.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Yep, and I love how he definitively stated that you can't do that. He was so sure of himself. I'm starting to wonder if all TV announcers are sent to a training school which instructs them to act like this whenever they don't have a clue. I'll admit that don't know the specifics of the NBA rules, but I can say that it wouldn't be a double dribble in NFHS.

[/B]
He might realize his mistake after his partner seemed to raise his voice to interrupt and cover up the embarrasment.

He did not make the same comment when someone else touched the floor with the ball in hand soon after. At least he still can learn.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
Did he make contact with the shooter before he returned to the Floor? Did the defense gain and advantage? If the answers are yes, Tweet Foul.

1. Yes, B1 made contact before A1 retured to the floor.

2. Probably not. I kind of think B1 did not gain advantage from the contact because
a. the block was clean until the ball was knocked away. (in the imaginary play)
b. the ball went OOB so A1 was not in a disadvantageous position for the ensuing plays.

Do you think my second answer make sense at all? Thanks.

The trail called it as it originated at the top of the key went in the lane and shot went up on the right side of the lane. Bavetta was lead Rush was trail... one whistle on the Play because Bavetta was watching Shaq and B. Wallace. Therefore it is trail's (Rush) call to take it from his primary to the hole.
Thanks for your explanation.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 03:36pm
In Memoriam

Cool Never touched him.

Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately this is not the play in question.

When I first looked at the picture, I actually though this should be an offensive foul given Wade's off arm shielding off the defender. However, on closer inspection Wallace's "grab of the gonads" certainly explains Wade's hand in the face of Wallace.

For most it is a natural reaction for one's arm to shoot out in a forceful manner, usually with a closed fist if they get a shot to the jewels!