The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Being the off season for us baseball/softball umps, I had time to accept an invite to the UGA/UAB game yesterday.

I noticed yesterday, and think I have noticed in the past, what appears to be an extra official standing behind the head linesman. He was on the visitor's side of the field and at the start of the play, he would stand about 5 feet behind the head linesman, well off the side line. I never saw him involved elsewhere, though I didn't watch closely throughout the game. (Did I mentioned the good looking alum that invited me to attend this home coming game with her?)

I believe he had an "S" on his uniform, though there was another side judge actively involved on the field.

Any idea what his duties were? He didn't seem involved with the chains crew.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

My guess: He was probably an official who has been picked up by the SEC this year. He travels with this crew, or different crews, sits in on the pre-game, records penalties, watches the official who works his position, etc. In short, he''s in training.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

a guy that we sere with just got picked up by the Mountain West Conferenc...Before that he worked in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference which is a lower division conference....while he worked in the RMAC he was sometimes assinged to assist the Big 12 crews with recording penalties...they called him a sideline laison...
Old Fri Oct 31, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

This guy will be the official to come in if one of the onfield officials gets hurt. His Duty on the side line is the on field clock operator. and he stays on the line until the RFP is blown