View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

what to do when you know you and your crew had an awful game

Last night my crew and I worked a varsity boys game. It was a fast paced game that in my opinion was out of control and should've slowed down, but thats here nor there. My crew included myself (official of 5 years but with only a dozen varsity games), a 7 year veteran with only 20 varsity game experience, and a first time varsity official with no varsity or three man game experience.
The game started off ok but QUICKLY became a train wreck. As i mentioned it was not a well played game. But to compound that the rookie on the crew had the deer in headlights look. He did not have a good half at all. Which ended with him not understanding that he had the last shot opposite of the table. A shot was made that was clearly before the buzzer, but again deer in headlights. He didn't know what to do even though we pregamed this. I pointed to him and he froze for a moment then waived his hands in a "safe" motion if he were a baseball umpire. We met at half court and I asked if he was waiving off the basket or just signaling the end of the half. He again froze. The croud was outraged. I then raised my voice and said SIR WAS THE BASKET GOOD OR NOT. WERE YOU WAIVING OFF THE BASKET OR ENDING THE HALF. He finally said it was good. So I told him to signal the good basket. So 20 seconds after the horn the basket was awarded.
I'd like to say it got better from there but it did not. We had multiple times when we had 2 leads and no "C". And multiple times with 2 "T" and no "C".
My question is what do you do? How could I as the "R" done it different.
The coach said to me after the game we need to talk I cant have this at the varsity level. What do you say, when you agree with him?