The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

What Are You Gonna Do?

Rivalry game and we are shooting 2 free throws for a Technical Foul. Before the first free throw, a defensive player wants to stand an inch behind the three point line directly behind the shooter.

What are you gonna do?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

No official should do anything as there's nothing to do.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'd watch to make sure he doesn't disconcert the shooter, but that's all....
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:57pm
AremRed

I'm gonna congratulate him for not perpetuating rules myths. And I'm probably heading to the sideline to deal with an angry coach who thinks the opposing player can't stand there.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

I know the rule, however I also realized the player has no business being that close. There is no rebounding opportunity and you could tell he was trying to create trouble on the play.

I want to adhere to the rule, but I also want to manage the game.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
Rivalry game and we are shooting 2 free throws for a Technical Foul. Before the first free throw, a defensive player wants to stand an inch behind the three point line directly behind the shooter.

What are you gonna do?
Are you trying to tell us the official did something (when there's nothing in the rule book requiring us to do anything)?

BTW, the rivalry game aspect isn't relevant. If there's a T and it's for unsportmanlike conduct there's already some level of animosity.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I'm gonna congratulate him for not perpetuating rules myths. And I'm probably heading to the sideline to deal with an angry coach who thinks the opposing player can't stand there.
That's the truth. I hate "everyone behind the division line"
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Are you trying to tell us the official did something (when there's nothing in the rule book requiring us to do anything)?

BTW, the rivalry game aspect isn't relevant. If there's a T and it's for unsportmanlike conduct there's already some level of animosity.
Everything is relevant as it pertains to the game
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Everything is relevant as it pertains to the game
Quote:
I know the rule, however I also realized the player has no business being that close. There is no rebounding opportunity and you could tell he was trying to create trouble on the play.

And if you move B1 away and Team B's coach says "he's allowed to stand there," then what? He may have had "no reason" being that close but there's nothing in the rule book saying he wasn't allowed to be there so in an effort to stop one problem another may have been created.

B1 can *try* to create trouble but in that situation the only way he *can* create trouble is by disconcerting and/or saying something to the shooter. If that happens, award a substitute FT. Guaranteed that B1's coach won't let him do it again if it costs the team points.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
And if you move B1 away and Team B's coach says "he's allowed to stand there," then what? He may have had "no reason" being that close but there's nothing in the rule book saying he wasn't allowed to be there so in an effort to stop one problem another may have been created.

B1 can *try* to create trouble but in that situation the only way he *can* create trouble is by disconcerting and/or saying something to the shooter. If that happens, award a substitute FT. Guaranteed that B1's coach won't let him do it again if it costs the team points.
He may also affect the shooter by simply being in that location...but it is his right to be there and if the shooter is bothered by it that is the shooters problem.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"You know, if you're there, it's likely disconcertion and s/he gets another FT?"

If you think what he was doing is unsporting, then deal with it. Otherwise, it's legal.

Either way, it will require all your game management skills (because someone on one side is not going to be happy).
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Let me further the scenario: Say the kid that's just behind the 3 point line is the one who got the technical foul for screaming "F--- You" at the kid who is not shooting. Does this change how anyone deals with the situation?

I realize it isn't in the book that he can't stand there, but if you know his sole purpose is to intimidate the shooter, then how is that not an unsporting act? And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying give him a T, I'm saying you need to move him diplomatically if possible. If you're the trail, call him over and have a pointless conversation or SOMETHING to get him to move. This isn't in the rule book, it's just good game management to prevent another possible bad scenario after one that has already occurred.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Let's assume this kid is wearing number 12.

I get close enough for him to hear me and say "Number 12" and when he looks I beckon him over and say "You know, it appears things are getting a bit chippy and from what I have seen so far you are a leader of this team. Think you can help me get everyone focused on just playing basketball so we don't have a parade to the line shooting technicals?"

It may be total BS, but you moved him out of the way and avoided a possible escalation...made it obvious to him that the crew is watching EVERYONE...made him feel important and may have just saved the entire crew some grief. It might not work as the kid may ignore you, but it is worth a shot.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

So .. player does something completely legal and isn't otherwise breaking any rule... and is completely out of the visual range of the shooter.

What am I going to do? Absolutely nothing.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

If the home team is shooting I can't imagine this would even be an issue. Does he have eye's in the back of his head? If its the visiting team shooting, my guess is the fans are giving him a hell of a lot more than someone standing 6ft behind him. Did this become an issue with a coach, or was this just an observation on your part?

-General George S. Patton, Jr.