The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

I Should have known it wasn't gonna be my night...

when during the coin toss to determine home team, the coin landed sideways and buried itself in the dirt. Sideways.

I'm a first year ASA umpire working Mens SP. This particular evening was a 40 and over league in which 90% of these guys have probably been playing against or with each other in the same town league for half their lives. And it was a tough night. And I probably could have done things a little differently.

Very first pitch of the game, I call strike, someone in the dugout yells "c'mon blue, the catcher caught that ball on a fly, it has to be deep". I fight myself as I am tempted to look into the dugout but resist and stare straight ahead waiting for the pitcher to throw the next pitch. The rest of the inning settled down and was uneventful. Home team has a routine turn at bat in the bottom of the first.

Top of the second, several more calls from the dugout about pitches being called strikes that are "deep". After the third out I hear that voice again, this time walking out of the dugout to take the field for the bottom of the second, looking in my direction saying "it's automatically deep and can't be a strike if the catcher catches the ball on the fly". Now, I probably should have just ignored this guy, but he was making it hard for me to. I approached him as he was yelling at me, with hopes of explaining that where the ball is caught by the catcher is irrelevant to wether it is a strike or not. He shouted me down with "aww you're horrible, get away from me". So I turned around to walk to the plate, and as soon as I did he said, loud enough for the whole field to hear, "You're an ***hole". I turned and tossed him, leaving his team with nine players. He was livid. "You're tossing me for that?!" Yes. Now please leave the field and make your way to your car. "Why? I can play game two"

Now I have to be honest, this is where it really started as far as my night going from bad to worse. My understanding of this leauge's rule is a player ejected from game 1 of a doubleheader can't play in game 2. But I wasn't entirely sure I was right. So until I could get one of the park supervisors to clarify the situation for me, I allowed this ejected player to remain near the field. He sat on his car, 15 feet away from the backstop, telling anyone who would listen, that the horrible umpire with "rabbit ears" had "baited" him into an ejection. I completely ignore him, and his attempt to intimidate me.

An inning or so later the park supervisor comes by who confirms for me and informs the ejected player that he is in fact ineligible for game 2. I should have seen to it that he left the premises at this point but did not. Game one ends with no more incidents, just an unhappy team forced to play with nine men, and non stop complaining about every single call. Every one.

Between games, a member of the shorthanded team approaches me and asks why I am making them play shorthended? I say I'm not, those are the rules. He then claims that the opposing manager, who also happens to be commissioner of the league, said it's ok that he play. I ask what I am needed there for then, if they have it all under control? Rule says he can't play. He can't play.

Speaking of the commisioner, my very first assignment in this league was a DH in which his team was playing. He called my assignor the next day to tell him I was the best umpire his league has seen, he wants me as much as possible blah blah. It's not true, but I have a history of being a competent umpire in this league. Whether or not I get any more assignments in this league remains to be seen. And at this point I'd rather not.

Halfway through a miserable game 2, a game in which every borderline pitch that was called a ball had the catcher and pitcher of the shorthanded team complaining, as well as the knucklehead who I allowed to remain near the field of play. Finally, the inevitable. A borderline pitch that may have been a strike, I called a ball. The pitcher exclaims "That's rediculous, that was a strike" while the catcher places the ball where it landed behind the plate and walks away. The pitcher is still yelling at me that it was a strike. I warn him that is enough and to play ball. He keeps saying I'm awful, that was a strike, this is rediculous". Once more I say that's enough. It's not. So I toss him. Game over due to forfiet. He then crushed a dugout garbage can, while the manager and the rest of the team called me everything in the book.

I really don't know if the second ejection was warranted, but at that specific point ion time I felt I needed to make a point that I wasn't going to allow these guys to intimidate me. Although it may seem exactly that, if it turns out I was way out of line.

ogie
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 10:25pm
Never Stop Learning

Why wasn't the first game over after the ejection? Can't play shorthanded in ASA on an ejection. (4-1-D-2a) Also a team warning for arguing balls and strikes was in order, after that any arguing of balls and strikes is an ejection. (4-8-C) I think you took way too much. Nip it in the bud and don't let it bother you. There are rules in place to deal with such situations, use them.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Sun Jul 01, 2007 at 10:28pm.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't mean to imply they had 8, I was using terminology the player used in asking me about the situation. They started the game with Ten, had nine after the ejection. Thanks for the help.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 11:53pm
Never Stop Learning

Which is a forfeit if they have no subs. Nine players in SP is shorthanded. You can't go short handed when there is an ejection.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Sun Jul 01, 2007 at 11:56pm.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

If they (whoever is paying you) expect you to tolerate that garbage then be thankful if they dont call you back to work more games.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Why wasn't the first game over after the ejection? Can't play shorthanded in ASA on an ejection. (4-1-D-2a) Also a team warning for arguing balls and strikes was in order, after that any arguing of balls and strikes is an ejection. (4-8-C) I think you took way too much. Nip it in the bud and don't let it bother you. There are rules in place to deal with such situations, use them.
A lot of local leagues have a rule that permits play, often with as few as 8 players (regardless of how they got to 8).

You probably took a little more than you should have, but both ejections were completely warranted. Baited? Not at all. They're grown men, and they opened their mouths when they shouldn't have in ways that were inappropriate.

As for the first knucklehead you tossed, well, you set yourself up for the hassle you got by not knowing the local rule about doubleheaders (assuming this league even has it written down in a place where you can get to it - which isn't always the case). But hey, even I've missed a local rule now and again, so no worries. I probably would have told him to leave the premises, go cool off, then come back later to find out about game 2. Still not a good situation to be in, but at least it gets him off the field and out of your hair for a while. And who knows? Maybe he might have a different demeanor once he returns, but judging by the behavior of these "grown men," I wouldn't hold my breath.

They saw a new ump, and they wanted to see where your trigger points were. In a new league, I'll admit that I tighten up - no smiling, no chatting, crisp mechanics, etc.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

This right here is why I do not do SP softball. I played SP when I was in the Navy and I know how I acted and god knows there was once or twice I should have been thrown out of games.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasoftballump
This right here is why I do not do SP softball. I played SP when I was in the Navy and I know how I acted and god knows there was once or twice I should have been thrown out of games.
I'm sure most of us who have played SP have been cut a break by an umpire at some point, and I'm definitely no different. However, there's no need to tolerate the BS from players who try to show up umpires. Don't be the good guy, be the umpire.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

NCASAUmp has it right - this league permits 9 no matter how they got there. Thanks for the support fellas, I was ready to hang 'em up after friday.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Player eligibility is not the umpire's call. The ejected player should have been told to leave the area within 1 minute, or the game will be a forfeit. Leave it to the league as to whether he plays in the second game or not. If he shows back up in the dugout, he plays - as I said, player eligibility is not the umpire's call.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And so, by staying away and leaving the younger umpires to fend off the idiots you help your association how?

Sorry, but I consider this a sad excuse for an umpire not working a particular game.

There is no doubt too many of these idiots whine and cry too much, but whose fault is it that the toleration level is so high?
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

No Mike I choose not to work SP because I don't want to work SP. I stay busy enough with fast pitch U12, U14 and HS. Last time I checked its a part time job and I can pick and chose what type of game I want to work. SP isn't for me.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Ogie, try to put it perspective and not take it personal. Nobody likes to be verbally attacked and yelled at, and its a normal reaction to then get emotional during your response. But understand that the problem lies with them, they eject themselves by words and actions- you are just there to manage the game.
Considering that we have (what I call) "ultimate power"- you can stay calmer when realizing that the final outcome is totally controlled by you. Knowing that, I'm (usually) more amused by the stupid actions some players have, and nip it ASAP.
The word gets out, teams recognise you, and the games are played with less griping.
Oh, and hustle your butt off, anticipate where plays may happen, and those close calls wont be complained about as much....
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No Mike I choose not to work SP because I don't want to work SP. I stay busy enough with fast pitch U12, U14 and HS. Last time I checked its a part time job and I can pick and chose what type of game I want to work. SP isn't for me.
Then maybe that is what you should have posted instead of what you did.

This right here is why I do not do SP softball.

Rant on!

There are many small local associations which struggle every year to accommodate the games to be played. Quite often, at least in this area, it is people taking the well-paying games and screw the association.

If an umpire belongs to an association, s/he should give that association the support that they expect in return. Just because an umpire's specific season ends doesn't mean an association just goes into hibernation. Too many people in this world are more than happy to just sit around and let the other people do the work, but the second there is a problem, they are the first to complain (see e-teamz).

Rant off!
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

And that is why I tell my assignor my preference for where I want to call, but with the understanding of "if that's what you've got for me, I'll be there." There are some leagues that I downright loathe for various reasons, but my loyalty is to my assignor. He tries to accomodate me, but I also do my best to accomodate him. If that means I have to suck it up and call a league I don't like, then so be it.