The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:35am
C'mon man!!

Intentional

This conversation came up at our association meeting last night. One of the varsity officials said at the end of their game with maybe 20 seconds left, A1 is trying to inbound the ball. Clocked is stopped and B2 fouls A2. Nothing extraordinary, just playing defense. He said they called an intentional foul. What are your thoughts on this?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

If the ball hasnt left his hands on the throw in it has to be more than a common foul.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
If the ball hasnt left his hands on the throw in it has to be more than a common foul.
Why?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not necessarily true...in this situation, you have to decide if the foul was committed soley for the purpose of preventing the clock from being started.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

If the defender contacts the player in bounding the ball, per 4-19-3(e) and 9-2-10 penalty 4, it is an intentional foul.

"The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass."

Penalty: If an opponents(s) contacts the thrower, an intential personal foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:10pm
beware big brother

Dave, you should read the OP more carefully. A1 is the person making the throw in. The foul is by B2 on A2. The rule you cited has no bearing.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:10pm
C'mon man!!

For clarification, the foul was not on the thrower, but on another player on the floor.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
This conversation came up at our association meeting last night. One of the varsity officials said at the end of their game with maybe 20 seconds left, A1 is trying to inbound the ball. Clocked is stopped and B2 fouls A2. Nothing extraordinary, just playing defense. He said they called an intentional foul. What are your thoughts on this?
Why would this be anything but a common foul, as described? It would likely not be an I if it happened maybe 20 seconds into the game.

Now, I agree that my antennae go up near the end of the game, and I might not deem it to be "nothing extraordinary, just playing defense" -- but that's not what (apparently) happened.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
A1 is throwing it in.
A2 gets fouled.

This (the OP) is not an intentional foul.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard it said by some very high level officials that it should automatically be intentional, but there is nothing in the rules that require it to be so. They were just mixing up the foul-on-the-thrower rule. The foul is what it is on it own without regard to it being a throwin.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:24pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why would this be anything but a common foul, as described? It would likely not be an I if it happened maybe 20 seconds into the game.

Now, I agree that my antennae go up near the end of the game, and I might not deem it to be "nothing extraordinary, just playing defense" -- but that's not what (apparently) happened.
Actually this was the discussion. That because the clock was stopped near the end of the game it had to be intentional. I for one disagree. There were some in the party of any foul by the defense while the ball is out of bounds is intentional. Again, I disagree.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Actually this was the discussion. That because the clock was stopped near the end of the game it had to be intentional. I for one disagree. There were some in the party of any foul by the defense while the ball is out of bounds is intentional. Again, I disagree.
Ask them for a rule reference on that. I'm curious how they'll answer.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Dave, you should read the OP more carefully. A1 is the person making the throw in. The foul is by B2 on A2. The rule you cited has no bearing.

Yep.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any intentional foul by the defense while the ball is out of bounds is intentional. But just to call any contact an intentional simply because of the location of the ball is preposterous.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

If the D is playing it strait and just gets a little overzealous and creates some contact I'm not sure how you would call it intentional. It would take a jersey grab, an unnecessary hug, or excessive contact with a big man well away from the play to get an intentional from me.