The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Intentional or excessive intentional

Close game with two athletic teams 12 deep AAU. 3 minutes left, the team up 5 steals the ball, I am trail becoming lead, defender streaks down and they meet at the rim on a layup, defenders hands on the ball arms and crashes the offensive player. Hard clean foul. No Wind up, No Intent, and No Follow through. I called a shooting foul. After the game, our observer jumped on me that I should have called a excessive intentional foul!! It is either Intentional or Flagrant. I did not argue but read the book and talked with my partners and we are confused. Please provide input.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 10:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nfhs 4-19-3 ...

An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul which neutralizes
an opponent's obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or
when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball or a player, specifically
designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional
fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of
the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent.

I don't believe that the NFHS has a "hard foul" intentional foul signal. I believe that only the NCAA-M have such a signal. However, my high school board has been taught this "hard foul" signal for several years.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 22, 2010 at 11:28am.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

What your observer is saying is that even a hard clean foul can be determined to be intentional if the contact is excessive. Read the definitions of fouls in Rule 4. Billy quotes the rule above.
As for signals, just go with the "X," as it's easily recognized.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 11:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Raise Your Hand If You're Sure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As for signals, just go with the "X," as it's easily recognized.
... unless you forgot to use deodorant that day, in which case use the followup signal in my post above.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat May 22, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... unless you forgot to use deodorant that day, in which case use the followup signal in my post above.
"That call stinks!"

Can't really make out the excessive foul mechanic. It looks like you just stand there with your arms at your sides and fists clenched?
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 12:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
"That call stinks!"

Can't really make out the excessive foul mechanic. It looks like you just stand there with your arms at your sides and fists clenched?
Otherwise known as the "It's not fair!" mechanic. It works better if you stomp your feet at the same time.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 01:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hard Foul Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Can't really make out the excessive foul mechanic.
The official starts with the normal intentional foul signal (the X above the head), and then emphatically brings both arms down to his side to let everyone know that it's a "hard foul" variety of an intentional foul. It's difficult to see the arrows in the image I posted. Sorry. Again, I believe that this is only an approved signal for NCAA-M. I'm sure that one of our NCAA-M Forum members will be along shortly to confirm this. I'm just a lowly high school official.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 22, 2010 at 01:21pm.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 01:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think this is the approved mechanic to indicate an intentional, flagrant, excessive jerk, er, I mean foul.

Old Sat May 22, 2010, 01:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nah Nah Nha Nah Nah ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I think this is the approved mechanic to indicate an intentional, flagrant, excessive jerk, er, I mean foul.
Sticking out the tongue is only used if the foul is flagrant, to let everyone know that someone is getting tossed.

Old Sat May 22, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously this is a judgment call. I have a real hard time calling the excessive contact on a on player in a situation where they are playing the ball and only hits the arms but it causes a train wreck because of the speed of the play.

If the player is all over the body too and drives them down then i can see that as excessive, but calling it excessive because of the speed and intensity of the play making a normal play have a hard landing really doesn't seem appropriate to the defense. If the contact was no more then normal adjusted for the momentum of the players, but the speed and timing of the play results in a hard landing , I don't think you should be calling intentional IMO.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Otherwise known as the "It's not fair!" mechanic. It works better if you stomp your feet at the same time.
Should you also, hold your breath, puff out your cheecks and cross your eyes?
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 02:56pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
........let everyone know that it's a "hard foul" variety of an intentional foul.
But I don't think it would actually let everyone know anything, because I think this is up there among the least known rules. On this call, before, during, and after the explanation if one is given, the coach goes into the broken record mode: He got the ball........got the ball.........got the ball.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 03:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Again, I believe that this is only an approved signal for NCAA-M. I'm sure that one of our NCAA-M Forum members will be along shortly to confirm this.
Confirmed. Not used in NCAA Womens.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

One of the primary jobs of the official is to insure reasonable safety. If it is excessive contact, by rule and by duty you gotta call it. The train wreck described in the OP fits the criteria. Call the intentional.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Obviously this is a judgment call. I have a real hard time calling the excessive contact on a on player in a situation where they are playing the ball and only hits the arms but it causes a train wreck because of the speed of the play.

If the player is all over the body too and drives them down then i can see that as excessive, but calling it excessive because of the speed and intensity of the play making a normal play have a hard landing really doesn't seem appropriate to the defense. If the contact was no more then normal adjusted for the momentum of the players, but the speed and timing of the play results in a hard landing , I don't think you should be calling intentional IMO.
I disagree. When you call it intentional, the players will think twice before being so careless again. It's a dangerous play and should be discouraged; more importantly, the rules call for it.