The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Video request: Michigan/Duke-OOB, scuffle, technical, resumption of play (Clip Added)

It comes at around 5:06 in the first half.

I'm confused by the sequence of events I remember from the game.

Duke player and Michigan player are vying for the ball, which goes out of bounds. The official signals Duke ball (going the other way).

The calling official turns his back on the players, who collide into the row of seated spectators. The Michigan player gives the Duke player a shove with his arm. As the Duke player stands up, he chucks the ball at the Michigan player.

Two of the officials come in and point at the Duke player (I'm assuming to call a technical foul).

They talk, go to the monitor, talk again. This takes quite a while. I'm assuming they're looking for any punches that might have been thrown.

They come back with a technical foul on the Duke player. Nothing on the Michigan player (I don't think anyone saw the shove as it happened, and you can't retroactively call a common technical foul upon seeing the replay...correct?)

They shoot free throws, then get together and discuss some more and ultimately award the ball to Michigan near where the ball went out of bounds.

Was this an oversight? Or am I just not understanding the resumption of play correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fiasco; Thu Dec 05, 2013 at 12:10pm.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Dead ball contact technical foul is penalized by two shots and the ball for the opponent.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:05pm
beware big brother

The technical foul on the Duke player, as described in the OP, is not a contact dead ball technical foul.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
The technical foul on the Duke player, as described in the OP, is not a contact dead ball technical foul.
Good point, but maybe they considered it the same. I'd like to see the replay.

I'm curious, too, as to whether they could have called the Michigan T upon review.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Also, I could be mis-remembering the sequence of events from the game, so there's that to consider in how the calls played out...
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:25pm
beware big brother

Since they were probably looking at the monitor for FF2 fouls they would have been allowed to penalize a contact dead ball technical foul on the Michigan player if they saw one on the video. I looked at the play by play, the only technical foul they had was the one on the Duke player. It did not say what type of technical foul was called. Unless they called a contact dead ball technical on Duke, then it should have been Duke ball after the free throws for the T. They are only allowed to use monitor for out of bounds in last two minutes of the second period and in over time.

Last edited by johnny d; Thu Dec 05, 2013 at 12:28pm.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like I was wrong about it being OOB. There was, in fact, a foul called on Horford for Michigan.

Play by play

So what is everyone's experience here? Is that type of action (intentionally throwing a ball at your opponent) considered unsportsmanlike, or contact?
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Looks like I was wrong about it being OOB. There was, in fact, a foul called on Horford for Michigan.

Play by play

So what is everyone's experience here? Is that type of action (intentionally throwing a ball at your opponent) considered unsportsmanlike, or contact?
Did Michigan's throw-in come from the division line? If so, it must have been ruled as Contact Technical on Duke.

Funny, by rule making using the ball to make contact is not considered a Contact Technical, but many (not me) would call a PC on an offensive player who uses the ball to displace a defender.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Did Michigan's throw-in come from the division line? If so, it must have been ruled as Contact Technical on Duke.

Funny, by rule making using the ball to make contact is not considered a Contact Technical, but many (not me) would call a PC on an offensive player who uses the ball to displace a defender.
No, I'm pretty sure it was on the sideline about 6 or 7 feet from the endline opposite Duke's basket. But again, I want to see the clip cause my memory is a bit hazy.

I'd also like to see the clip because I'm reading now that you can go back and get a contact technical foul if you don't see it/call it initially but do see it on the monitor. There's a pretty blatant shove by the Michigan player that you can see on the replay.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks APG!
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm...so the "shove" looks a little more benign that I remember.

And, turns out, the ball was indeed inbounded at the division line.

So, that clears that up!
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Hmmm...so the "shove" looks a little more benign that I remember.

And, turns out, the ball was indeed inbounded at the division line.

So, that clears that up!
Yeah, looks more like the Michigan player lost his balance.

I'm more interested in knowing why the Lead is standing along the lane line while signalling a 3-point attempt.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 04:16pm
beware big brother

They definitely got this one wrong. Should have been Duke ball after the free throws for the T.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
They definitely got this one wrong. Should have been Duke ball after the free throws for the T.
Based on?