The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:49pm
NFHS Official

Ok. State/Purdue video request (Clip Added)

Please, 4:21 left in first half. Purdue player picks up a foul, Ok State player probably taunts, Purdue player goes to head/neck area. Thanks.

Any thoughts? He gets a FF2

Last edited by OKREF; Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 12:51pm.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have the video. However, I was curious about how they handled it.

If I remember correctly, they had a team control foul on Purdue's Johnson. After the play was over then Johnson went and shoved a OKST player above the neck. They come back from the review and eject Johnson and shoot 4 free-throws.

The ejection was good, but I'm wondering what lead to the 4 free-throws. Dead Ball Flagrant 2 is two shots and the ball at the division line last I knew. The announcers never said anything about another technical foul or Johnson receiving more than one T. I looked in the box score and could only find the one technical as well.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 09:41pm
NFHS Official

Don't know why they shot 4 free throws. But the Oklahoma St. player should have gotten a T as well. His action lead to the head slap.

Thanks for the clip.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

I think the crew forgot the initial foul on Purdue #23 was a TC foul. That’s the only way I can explain shooting four FTs and having OSU #21 shooting the first two FTs. Given a player was ejected I’m guessing they had to explain the entire scenario to whomever assigned the game.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 12:52am
#thereferee99

Just watched.

White taunt leads to retaliatory backhand slap by black. Crew spent plenty of time at the monitor reviewing then came back having the clapping white player shooting, then another player shooting the technical.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
White taunt leads to retaliatory backhand slap by black. Crew spent plenty of time at the monitor reviewing then came back having the clapping white player shooting, then another player shooting the technical.
The retaliatory slap *was* the F2 technical. OSU #21 clapped his hands in the face of Purdue #23 after a foul call against Purdue #23, so the ball was already dead when Purdue #23 hit OSU #21 in the throat. As far as we can see on the video that was the only dead-ball situation to adjudicate.

The first two FTs – IMO – dealt with something directly against OSU #21 which is why he was the shooter. Otherwise there was no rule-based reason for him to shoot since the dead-ball contact was a technical foul. There was also no strategic reason for him to shoot because he’s only a 40% FT shooter.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 06:28pm.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 11:50am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The retaliatory slap *was* the F2 technical. OSU #21 clapped his hands in the face of Purdue #23 after a foul call against Purdue #23, so the ball was already dead when Purdue #23 hit OSU #21 in the throat. As far as we can see on the video that was the only dead-ball situation to adjudicate.

The first two FTs – IMO – dealt with something directly against OSU #21 which is why he was the shooter. Otherwise there was no rule-based reason for him to shoot since the dead-ball contact was a technical foul. There was also strategic reason for him to shoot because he’s only a 40% FT shooter.
But the initial foul by Purdue 23 was TC foul. OSU 21 shouldn't have shot any free throws. Still no answer as to why they shot 4 free throws.

You can see the C running in and giving the T signal. Then they went to the monitor and upgraded it to an FF 2. Are they shooting two for the technical foul, and two for it being upgraded?

Last edited by OKREF; Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 11:53am.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
But the initial foul by Purdue 23 was TC foul. OSU 21 shouldn't have shot any free throws. Still no answer as to why they shot 4 free throws.

You can see the C running in and giving the T signal. Then they went to the monitor and upgraded it to an FF 2. Are they shooting two for the technical foul, and two for it being upgraded?
Right I mention that in post number 5. I was addressing the comments regarding the possible reason for the sequence of free throws. I don't understand why there were four free throws shot either.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 06:28pm.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2013, 03:49pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post

No that isn't why they shot 4 free throws. Most likely explanation is what jetmet said. Looking at the box score/play by play, they definitely screwed up by awarding the first two free throws to #21.