The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Warm up after game delayed

Had a situation where a player was injured and bleeding on the court (near mid-court). Game was stopped and players sent to their benches (told to stay on the court) while the trainer assisted the injured player off the court. Game management then had to get the janitorial crew to clean up the blood on the court so the players were told that they could take a seat if they wanted. It took about 5-10 minutes before the janitorial crew got there and then about 5 minutes to clean up. As the cleanup was almost finished, one of the coaches asked if his players could use the baskets to warm-up since the delay had been significant.

Since this was a JV game that was now running late with a Varsity scheduled next, and because it was clear that the delay was almost over, we told the coach "no" because we were about to get restarted. After the game, my partner and I both admitted that we didn't know of anything in the rule/case book that addressed this.

Is there anything in the rules (NFHS) that would prohibit allowing an additional "warm up" after a delay? If not prohibited, I'm curious if any other officials would consider this and under what circumstances?
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Not covered. If there's no conference rule, you get to use 2-3.

If it happens near the end of the second quarter (and "near" is subjective), take the half time break during the delay. come back, warm up, finish the second quarter, take a minute break, start the third quarter.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bob and given your situation you could also ask GM. If the people running the gym are okay with it – and I’m sure they’d ask the V coaches – then you should be okay.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 04:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You may be able to have the coaches decide between warming up and playing a full game. IOW, shorten the game to accomodate the warmup period to stay on schedule for the all important varsity game.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Stay loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Had a situation where a player was injured and bleeding on the court (near mid-court). Game was stopped and players sent to their benches (told to stay on the court) while the trainer assisted the injured player off the court. Game management then had to get the janitorial crew to clean up the blood on the court so the players were told that they could take a seat if they wanted. It took about 5-10 minutes before the janitorial crew got there and then about 5 minutes to clean up. As the cleanup was almost finished, one of the coaches asked if his players could use the baskets to warm-up since the delay had been significant.

Since this was a JV game that was now running late with a Varsity scheduled next, and because it was clear that the delay was almost over, we told the coach "no" because we were about to get restarted. After the game, my partner and I both admitted that we didn't know of anything in the rule/case book that addressed this.

Is there anything in the rules (NFHS) that would prohibit allowing an additional "warm up" after a delay? If not prohibited, I'm curious if any other officials would consider this and under what circumstances?
Might be better to say, "This might take several minutes so stay loose. We will resume play as soon as the floor is cleaned up."
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Really?

Players will routinely sit out 5 to 10 minutes of real time during a game. They don’t get to warm up again before coming in and no one would expect such.

I’m not sure at what interval I would consider granting a warm up request for a game delay but it is definitely something longer than 10 minutes.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 08:36pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
Players will routinely sit out 5 to 10 minutes of real time during a game. They don’t get to warm up again before coming in and no one would expect such.
Exactly, if not more. We don't stop the game for warmups when a 12th man who has sat all game comes in with 1 minute left to play.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. I wasn't meaning I would let them have time and the floor to stay loose. But they could stretch by their bench area during the delay.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Good points. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Had a similar situation last season during a women's juco game. Player went to the floor after a loose ball and landed hard on her right shoulder. Trainer came out to look at her, players sent to bench areas but instructed to remain on the floor.

Decision was made to call paramedics as a precaution, so players now allowed to sit. After about a 25 minute delay while the injured player is removed on a board, the R (me) informs coaches the floor will be swept (the paramedics tracked mud into the gym) and after a 5-minute warm-up period the game would resume at the POI (a held ball was called, possession to the V team).

Long story short ... use common sense.