View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Warm up after game delayed

Had a situation where a player was injured and bleeding on the court (near mid-court). Game was stopped and players sent to their benches (told to stay on the court) while the trainer assisted the injured player off the court. Game management then had to get the janitorial crew to clean up the blood on the court so the players were told that they could take a seat if they wanted. It took about 5-10 minutes before the janitorial crew got there and then about 5 minutes to clean up. As the cleanup was almost finished, one of the coaches asked if his players could use the baskets to warm-up since the delay had been significant.

Since this was a JV game that was now running late with a Varsity scheduled next, and because it was clear that the delay was almost over, we told the coach "no" because we were about to get restarted. After the game, my partner and I both admitted that we didn't know of anything in the rule/case book that addressed this.

Is there anything in the rules (NFHS) that would prohibit allowing an additional "warm up" after a delay? If not prohibited, I'm curious if any other officials would consider this and under what circumstances?