The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

What about not "directly" into the court.

I believe we still have a violation because by hitting even the bottom of the backboard , which is inbounds...it did not go 'directly" onto the court.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
I believe we still have a violation because by hitting even the bottom of the backboard , which is inbounds...it did not go 'directly" onto the court.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BNR's scenario includes the ball having been thrown "directly onto the court" (it mentions that the ball was deflected by B), thus, no violation.
It seems to me, that there are two choices . . . POI may be considered the throw-in by A, and thus we re-do the throw-in,
or, we treat the scenario as the throw-in having been completed, (when the ball was touched by B) but with no team control having been established on the court, we may go to an AP throw-in.
Presently, I favor the latter. But I'm willing to consider other opinions.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:28am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When does the arrow switch? 6-4-4 and 4-42-5

I'm not sure I agree. Do you have a reference? (It's a convenient "shortcut" to remembering the most usual situations, but I don't think it's universal.)

This part is correct. Same references as above, plus 6-4-5

From our state director of officiating, thru the NFHS. We have been told this is the interpretation of the NFHS as well.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:31am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
BNR's scenario includes the ball having been thrown "directly onto the court" (it mentions that the ball was deflected by B), thus, no violation.
It seems to me, that there are two choices . . . POI may be considered the throw-in by A, and thus we re-do the throw-in,
or, we treat the scenario as the throw-in having been completed, (when the ball was touched by B) but with no team control having been established on the court, we may go to an AP throw-in.
Presently, I favor the latter. But I'm willing to consider other opinions.
If it hits the bottom of the backboard and we have an IW, it goes back to the AP throw in. The throw in has not been completed, and this isn't a violation. The arrow will change when the throw in has ended.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
If it hits the bottom of the backboard and we have an IW, it goes back to the AP throw in. The throw in has not been completed, and this isn't a violation. The arrow will change when the throw in has ended.
I agree, if the ball went directly from thrower-in A to the bottom of the backboard, but the scenario posed by BNR has the ball being deflected by B, and then hitting the bottom of the backboard. I understand that the throw-in ended when the ball was "deflected by B."
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i believe we still have a violation because by hitting even the bottom of the backboard , which is inbounds...it did not go 'directly" onto the court.
7.1.2 Situation A
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:45am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I agree, if the ball went directly from thrower-in A to the bottom of the backboard, but the scenario posed by BNR has the ball being deflected by B, and then hitting the bottom of the backboard. I understand that the throw-in ended when the ball was "deflected by B."
I didn't catch his scenario. If the throw in ended, which it does when it is legally touched by B, the arrow changes then, and there is an IW and no team control exists then you go to the AP, which would be team B ball.

Last edited by OKREF; Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 11:51am.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:48am
NFHS Official

Quote:
When does the arrow switch? 6-4-4 and 4-42-5

I'm not sure I agree. Do you have a reference? (It's a convenient "shortcut" to remembering the most usual situations, but I don't think it's universal.)

This part is correct. Same references as above, plus 6-4-5
Got this from the 2011-12 Rulebook.

2011-12 Rules changes
Several definitions were changed to reflect that team control now exists during a throw-in when the thrower-in has the ball at his/her disposal. The change primarily affects how foul penalties will be administered.

Not saying you're wrong, and I do understand what you're saying. Just know how we have been instructed to apply the rule.

Last edited by OKREF; Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 11:53am.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Got this from the 2011-12 Rulebook.

2011-12 Rules changes
Several definitions were changed to reflect that team control now exists during a throw-in when the thrower-in has the ball at his/her disposal. The change primarily affects how foul penalties will be administered.

Not saying you're wrong, and I do understand what you're saying. Just know how we have been instructed to apply the rule.
"Primarily" <> "only".

My guess is that the play(s) in this thread were not considered when someone decided to give additional guidance. Stil, "when in Rome..."
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Question:

AP throw-in; B2 deflects throw-in; ball hits bottom of backboard; inadvertent whistle.

How do we handle this situation?

AP throw-in has ended, so AP arrow changes immediately. But do we still have TC by A, or does TC not apply to throw-in outside of fouls?

My take: The AP throwin has ended, but TC has not. Give the ball back to A, but the arrow is now with B so if there's a foul before the next throw-in ends, B still has the arrow.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:39pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
"Primarily" <> "only".

My guess is that the play(s) in this thread were not considered when someone decided to give additional guidance. Stil, "when in Rome..."
I agree with this. They wanted to address fouls and created more confusion by doing so.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:40pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
My take: The AP throwin has ended, but TC has not. Give the ball back to A, but the arrow is now with B so if there's a foul before the next throw-in ends, B still has the arrow.
I can see this point. Maybe I'm wrong. Will have to find out what our rules interpreter says.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, the issue is whether the TC in regards to the throw-in ends with the end of the throw-in, or if it persists until TC is established on the floor, whether by the throw-in team or the opponent?
If I'm understanding this correctly, if TC by the throw-in team ends when the throw-in ends, (that is, when the deflection by B occurs) and the deflection doesn't constitute TC by the opponent, then an AP should follow the IW. And, if TC for the throw-in persists until either team establishes TC on the floor, the IW would result in a throw-in for the original throw-in team.

Last edited by Rob1968; Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 02:09pm. Reason: spelling
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
On this note, I was working a scrimmage last Friday night. I was the Lead and administering the throw-in in the frontcourt on the endline. The thrower went to throw the ball to a teammate and it hit the bottom (From what I could tell) of the backboard and came down in bounds on the court, where one of the players on the court grabbed it. I wasn't going call a violation because it looked like it came straight down, leading me to believe that it hit the bottom of the backboard and not the back. It also landed in bounds. My partner comes in after a brief delay and says that it was a violation. At the next break I asked him about it and he said that when it hit, it angled back toward the endline so it must have hit the back of the backboard. I told him that it landed in bounds and from my angle it went straight down so I would have left it alone. We agreed to disagree and went on.

I remember people talking about this on here before. If it doesn't come straight down after hitting the backboard do you guys always assume it hit the back?
Were you working w/Ed HighTower?