The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 10:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Team control, throw-in, IW

Team A's throw-in hits the underside of the basket. An official blows an IW.

Administer the aftermath.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

POI is the throw-in...readminster.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 10:58am
M.A.S.H.

Throw-in never ended as it was not legally touched.

Team A's ball for the throw-in.

Last edited by tjones1; Tue Nov 26, 2013 at 11:27am. Reason: Bob caught me!
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:00am
Courageous When Prudent

I either agree with either APG or tjones1, depending on whom I like better today.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Throw-in never ended and it was not legally touched.
Team A's ball for the throw-in.
Does that matter?
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

On this note, I was working a scrimmage last Friday night. I was the Lead and administering the throw-in in the frontcourt on the endline. The thrower went to throw the ball to a teammate and it hit the bottom (From what I could tell) of the backboard and came down in bounds on the court, where one of the players on the court grabbed it. I wasn't going call a violation because it looked like it came straight down, leading me to believe that it hit the bottom of the backboard and not the back. It also landed in bounds. My partner comes in after a brief delay and says that it was a violation. At the next break I asked him about it and he said that when it hit, it angled back toward the endline so it must have hit the back of the backboard. I told him that it landed in bounds and from my angle it went straight down so I would have left it alone. We agreed to disagree and went on.

I remember people talking about this on here before. If it doesn't come straight down after hitting the backboard do you guys always assume it hit the back?
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I remember people talking about this on here before. If it doesn't come straight down after hitting the backboard do you guys always assume it hit the back?
If it goes back, it hit the back.

Whether it went back is, of course, judgment.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:27am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Does that matter?
Fixed it!
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Fixed it!
Still doesn't matter. Even in the throw-in had ended, you'd still give the ball to A (although the spot might now be different from the original spot). A still has team control.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:52am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Still doesn't matter. Even in the throw-in had ended, you'd still give the ball to A (although the spot might now be different from the original spot). A still has team control.
Team control on a throw-in, huh? Yeah, I'm a little slow this morning.

I would of been right two years ago though. lol

Thanks, Bob.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it goes back, it hit the back.

Whether it went back is, of course, judgment.
Is the corner of the padding on the bottom of the backboard considered the back?
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 03:34pm
AremRed

Quote:
Is the corner of the padding on the bottom of the backboard considered the back?
The rule of thumb is to see where the ball goes. If the ball rebounds back out of bounds then the ball probably hit the back. If the ball goes down as in the OP the ball probably hit the bottom. If the ball hits the back it should be obvious to everyone -- otherwise just play on.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
The rule of thumb is to see where the ball goes. If the ball rebounds back out of bounds then the ball probably hit the back. If the ball goes down as in the OP the ball probably hit the bottom. If the ball hits the back it should be obvious to everyone -- otherwise just play on.
I personally don't think it needs to rebound "back out of bounds". If it hits the court or is touched closer than 4' from the end line (as a general statement -- I'm not trying to get into measuring the diameter of the ball and which part of it hits where), then it hit the back.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I personally don't think it needs to rebound "back out of bounds". If it hits the court or is touched closer than 4' from the end line (as a general statement -- I'm not trying to get into measuring the diameter of the ball and which part of it hits where), then it hit the back.
Agree. If it does not continue on past the board, then it hit at least some part of the back.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 07:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
On this note, I was working a scrimmage last Friday night. I was the Lead and administering the throw-in in the frontcourt on the endline. The thrower went to throw the ball to a teammate and it hit the bottom (From what I could tell) of the backboard and came down in bounds on the court, where one of the players on the court grabbed it. I wasn't going call a violation because it looked like it came straight down, leading me to believe that it hit the bottom of the backboard and not the back. It also landed in bounds. My partner comes in after a brief delay and says that it was a violation. At the next break I asked him about it and he said that when it hit, it angled back toward the endline so it must have hit the back of the backboard. I told him that it landed in bounds and from my angle it went straight down so I would have left it alone. We agreed to disagree and went on.

No way I'm coming in to get this from T, regardless of what I saw. (unless it went straight back)