The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Still doesn't matter. Even in the throw-in had ended, you'd still give the ball to A (although the spot might now be different from the original spot). A still has team control.
I'm not sure I understand. Doesn't team control only apply if there is a foul by the throw-in team? My thinking is if the IW occurred after the throw-in hit the bottom edge and before the ball was legally touched then the POI would be a throw-in for Team A not on the basis of team control; but as tjones suggested: the throw-in had not ended. Now, if the ball hits the bottom edge > touches or is touched by a player (throw-in ends) > the IW occurs, POI > go to the AP? Similar to if an IW whistle occurs when a try is in flight > the try is unsuccessful (the try ends) > go to the AP. Help on this would be appreciated.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 08:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Doesn't team control only apply if there is a foul by the throw-in team? My thinking is if the IW occurred after the throw-in hit the bottom edge and before the ball was legally touched then the POI would be a throw-in for Team A not on the basis of team control; but as tjones suggested: the throw-in had not ended. Now, if the ball hits the bottom edge > touches or is touched by a player (throw-in ends) > the IW occurs, POI > go to the AP? Similar to if an IW whistle occurs when a try is in flight > the try is unsuccessful (the try ends) > go to the AP. Help on this would be appreciated.
Honestly, this is a good point. Any speculation on how the NFHS would rule would be, frankly, like rolling dice.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Doesn't team control only apply if there is a foul by the throw-in team?
No.

Quote:
Similar to if an IW whistle occurs when a try is in flight > the try is unsuccessful (the try ends) > go to the AP. Help on this would be appreciated.
TC does end when a try is in flight.

See 4-12-3
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 11:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Honestly, this is a good point. Any speculation on how the NFHS would rule would be, frankly, like rolling dice.
I agree and some really good officials I know have argued the other side.

Absent written instructions, though, we only have the team control rules to go by.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No way I'm coming in to get this from T, regardless of what I saw. (unless it went straight back)
To be honest, that's why I posted the situation in the first place and it was the same thing I was thinking as he came in and called it. I wish he would have left it alone.

It didn't go straight back, it might have gone at a slight angle toward the endline, but not much. I'm pretty sure it hit the corner of the padding on the bottom of the backboard.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
To be honest, that's why I posted the situation in the first place and it was the same thing I was thinking as he came in and called it. I wish he would have left it alone.

It didn't go straight back, it might have gone at a slight angle toward the endline, but not much. I'm pretty sure it hit the corner of the padding on the bottom of the backboard.
Doesn't matter

Matters

I'm sure it did. If it hit only the back, it would have rebounded straight back (and probably "up" as well, initially.) If it hit only the bottom it would have rebounded farther onto the court. The rule doesn't tell us specifically what to do if it hits the corner -- so most of us use the rule I've outlined above -- if it goes back at all it hit "enough" of the back to be a violation.

imo, of course -- and I agree that it's hard to get from T.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:56am
C'mon man!!

AP posession

Let me just add one more dynamic to this. A has AP throwin, it hits the bottom of the backboard and IW before it is touched. Does A retain the arrow or does it switch?
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 01:18am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Let me just add one more dynamic to this. A has AP throwin, it hits the bottom of the backboard and IW before it is touched. Does A retain the arrow or does it switch?
Your title....alternating possession possession?
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 01:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In this case, POI is the AP throw in, so the AP arrow would switch after the second throw in is completed.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 01:23am
NFHS Official

Team control only exists during a throw in for the purposes of administrating a foul, even though this is a poorly worded rule. If the throw in hits the back of the backboard. Team B gets the ball. If this is on an AP throw in, won't the arrow switch, team A looses the arrow because of a violation?

Last edited by OKREF; Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 01:30am.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 01:26am
NFHS Official

Quote:
In this case, POI is the AP throw in, so the AP arrow would switch after the second throw in is completed.
Yes
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Team control only exists during a throw in for the purposes of administrating a foul, even though this is a poorly worded rule. If the throw in hits the back of the backboard. Team B gets the ball. If this is on an AP throw in, won't the arrow switch, team A looses the arrow because of a violation?
Correct. Throwin violation on A for not throwing it directly onto the court before going OOB.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When does the arrow switch? 6-4-4 and 4-42-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I'm not sure I agree. Do you have a reference? (It's a convenient "shortcut" to remembering the most usual situations, but I don't think it's universal.)

This part is correct. Same references as above, plus 6-4-5
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Question:

AP throw-in; B2 deflects throw-in; ball hits bottom of backboard; inadvertent whistle.

How do we handle this situation?

AP throw-in has ended, so AP arrow changes immediately. But do we still have TC by A, or does TC not apply to throw-in outside of fouls?

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 11:45am.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Question:

AP throw-in; B2 deflects throw-in; ball hits bottom of backboard; inadvertent whistle.

How do handle this situation?

AP throw-in has ended, so AP arrow changes immediately. But do we still have TC by A, or does TC not apply to throw-in outside of fouls.
Now I know why you call yourself BadNews...LOL