Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 02:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Wtf is a "high school" shirt?

Seems like the directive is that the wide insert shirt can be worn as long as all members of the crew wear the same shirt.

Did I miss something saying that the wide insert shirt is now the official shirt?
I am sure this was an old picture used to show a famous coach in a stock picture.

And to many of us that is a high school shirt because in my state as an example we cannot wear the wide insert shirt. And it is also marketed by the major dealers as a "college shirt."

Peace
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

It’s all about a change in attitude. I spoke with an NCAAW official last week who said he heard an assistant coach yell “Bump the cutters!” during a scrimmage. The official told the coach, “Um, you do realize when you do that you’re telling us a foul is about to happen, right?” Of course, if we could hear something like that in years past and not expect someone to be fouled within the next ten seconds - and call it - that’s on us.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 03:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It’s all about a change in attitude. I spoke with an NCAAW official last week who said he heard an assistant coach yell “Bump the cutters!” during a scrimmage. The official told the coach, “Um, you do realize when you do that you’re telling us a foul is about to happen, right?” Of course, if we could hear something like that in years past and not expect someone to be fouled within the next ten seconds - and call it - that’s on us.
The marching orders for all my college scrimmages has been "blow the whistle!", so then can be ready for it in the regular season.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 05:12pm
beware big brother

I have worked 3 men's college games and 2 scrimmages so far. I haven't had a game yet where there were less than 45 free throws. Scoring wasn't noticeably up from games I worked last season, there are a lot of bad free throw shooters at the college level. On the other hand, game time is significantly longer and absolutely no flow. Eventually this might work, but I think the adjustment period is going to be longer than the people who wanted the game called this way thought it was going to be. These players have been using their hands to play defense since they were in junior high, they are not going to stop that fast. In the meantime, the game is going to be boring as hell to watch from the fans perspective.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 08:45pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The marching orders for all my college scrimmages has been "blow the whistle!", so then can be ready for it in the regular season.
Yeah every year the POE are whistled a ton during scrimmages and exhibition games. This continues into the season for the most part, but usually regresses to the mean by the time conference games come around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
On the other hand, game time is significantly longer and absolutely no flow. Eventually this might work, but I think the adjustment period is going to be longer than the people who wanted the game called this way thought it was going to be. These players have been using their hands to play defense since they were in junior high, they are not going to stop that fast. In the meantime, the game is going to be boring as hell to watch from the fans perspective.
Once the players adjust to the new rules and calls we are making (presuming we are calling things consistently and often) the game flow should become much better. I agree with you about the middle school games. I did a MS tournament this week after doing lots of HS games and none of the MS kids could get in Legal Guarding Position or maintain Verticality to save their life. That's where I think we should start, not wait for some "trickle down" to happen.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sometimes they "bump" legally, and sometimes they miss in the attempt to bump illegally.

but I agree, it's nice when the coach tells us where to look to see if there's a foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I have worked 3 men's college games and 2 scrimmages so far. I haven't had a game yet where there were less than 45 free throws. Scoring wasn't noticeably up from games I worked last season,
Scoring seems to be up in the NCAAW /JuCo / NAIA games I've done. The first half is usually pretty rough, but the second is better as they adjust. The players just need to remember the adjustment from game to game.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

This has to be a misinterpretation

"And Self is worried about how best to defend a ball screen because the only way to go over the screen is to 'jam the dribbler, which now would be a foul'"

In my games this year, the guys have adjusted in the second half. Almost every first half has no flow and feels terrible. Second half, much better flow.

Although with that said, scoring isn't up from last year in my games.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
In my games this year, the guys have adjusted in the second half. Almost every first half has no flow and feels terrible. Second half, much better flow.

Although with that said, scoring isn't up from last year in my games.
2 games into the season and this is exactly how mine have gone as well.

What I have been seeing is when the perimeter defender gets beaten, more help-side defenders are trying to take a charge. The C & L must pick up that help-side defender on those drives.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
2 games into the season and this is exactly how mine have gone as well.

What I have been seeing is when the perimeter defender gets beaten, more help-side defenders are trying to take a charge. The C & L must pick up that help-side defender on those drives.
I've worked 2 scrimmages and 1 exhibition, not one charge call yet. Both rule changes are a great advantage for the offense.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

Excerpts from AP article, Nov. 13

(AP) "When they're going to call fouls, you've got to be able to play without fouling," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said.

"Obviously there's a lot of fouls and no rhythm," (Kansas Head Coach Bill Self) said after his fifth-ranked Jayhawks beat No. 4 Duke 94-83. "I believe the first game was a lot like that, too, at least in the second half. To be honest, I don't like it, but hopefully players will learn to adjust and coaches will do a better job. It just takes away all aggressiveness defensively. At least it does with us."

"I think the officials are doing what they're supposed to do," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "Everyone just has to keep adjusting. Too much is being said about it. Start playing the way we're supposed to play.

(UConn Women's Head Coach Geno Auriemma said) "If players are smart, they'll adjust to it. I tell our guys, 'Either stay in your stance and stay in the game, or come out of your stance and come out of the game. Those are your choices, dude. That's it."

Scoring peaked at 70.7 points for the women in 1982-83 and has been on a steady decline ever since. The points of emphasis seem to be working early as points are up. Teams are averaging just over 70 points, which is eight more than last season's record low and the highest since the 1990-91 season.

Men's teams are averaging 76.0 points through the first few days, an increase from last season's 67.5 - which was the lowest in men's basketball since 1952.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 06:57am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
From an Article on VA vs VCU (11/12)

But this was the second game for both, the first against top-flight competition. Add college basketball's new freedom-of-movement rules and the defenses coached superbly by Virginia's Tony Bennett and VCU's Shaka Smart, and a game in the 50s is inevitable.

Virginia was 19-of-33 from the line, but VCU was worse at 6-of-15. Both teams were saddled with foul trouble, forcing the coaches to tinker with rotations.

The veteran ACC officiating crew of Jamie Luckie, Mike Eades and Tony Greene whistled 27 first-half fouls, 21 thereafter. That's one foul every 50 seconds for the evening.

“The officials are charged with calling some (new) points of emphasis,” Bennett said. “It's hard. … I think they're doing the best they can in that situation.”
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 07:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Z-Man ...

Quote:
(AP) "When they're going to call fouls, you've got to be able to play without fouling" ...
... says Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, also known as "Coach Zone".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Not to paint all NCAAM's officials with the same brush but I think they're going to have more issues than those of us on the NCAAW's side. We've had these guidelines, we just got out of the habit of enforcing them. More importantly, the players have known the guidelines for a while and generally adhered to them.

Meantime, as I write this I'm watching the replay of Michigan State/Kentucky and it's as though the players can't help themselves in terms of putting their hands on the ball handler. They know they're not supposed to do it but they don't look like they know how to play defense any other way.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not to paint all NCAAM's officials with the same brush but I think they're going to have more issues than those of us on the NCAAW's side. We've had these guidelines, we just got out of the habit of enforcing them. More importantly, the players have known the guidelines for a while and generally adhered to them.
With all due respect we have had these guidelines too for years and ever since John Adams took over his post it was really emphasized. The game has change previously, but all the participants were complaining. Also the Men's game is played completely differently then the women's game as well. I am not saying everything is going to be smooth or continue, but games are already taking a lot longer because everyone appears to be calling these initiatives. These were once guidelines, now they are rules. Harder to ignore.

Quote:
Meantime, as I write this I'm watching the replay of Michigan State/Kentucky and it's as though the players can't help themselves in terms of putting their hands on the ball handler. They know they're not supposed to do it but they don't look like they know how to play defense any other way.
This kind of proves my point. The game is played a lot differently and players previously would try to control the ball handler with their arms. It was always a rough thing to decide when an advantage is taken. That style of defense was taught at all levels except the NBA to be honest.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
With all due respect we have had these guidelines too for years and ever since John Adams took over his post it was really emphasized. The game has change previously, but all the participants were complaining. Also the Men's game is played completely differently then the women's game as well. I am not saying everything is going to be smooth or continue, but games are already taking a lot longer because everyone appears to be calling these initiatives. These were once guidelines, now they are rules. Harder to ignore.
Sorry, Jeff, I hope it didn’t sound as though I was trying to knock NCAAM’s officials in the previous post and if it did my apologies. Also, thanks for reminding me about John Adams. He’s definitely been diligent about turning things around. Just wondering, do you think it’ll be harder for the men’s officials to adjust or the coaches/players? I know even on my side of the game some officials, especially those higher on the food chain, have said it’s rough to turn back the clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This kind of proves my point. The game is played a lot differently and players previously would try to control the ball handler with their arms. It was always a rough thing to decide when an advantage is taken. That style of defense was taught at all levels except the NBA to be honest.
One thing women – either officials or players – remind us about on my side is the guidelines work because a larger number of women don’t deal with rough play very well, mainly due to socialization (i,e., boys grow up looking for ways to beat each other up, girls don’t). One of my assignors – a woman – told us, “Guys look for contact…but what’s the first thing a girl says when there’s contact: Get off me!” The closest I come to working an NCAAM game is higher-level BV. NFHS rules are more restrictive but those guys seem shocked when there’s a call that doesn’t involve someone getting shoved all over the place.