The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

From what I can see this shouldn’t have been a block. The offensive player started her move in the LDB and B1 obtained LGP before the crash. Jeschmit, you did what you had to do in terms of making the call. Your C needed to come over and provide information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Or did they. I thought that was part of the issue above was that it was right on the largely invisible line. I was assuming that point in my comments.
The upper portion is invisible but we can still use visual cues as a guideline. On this court the top of the LDBs are midway through that “Summit” logo. It looks like A2 started her move – though it wasn’t a long move – inside the LDB. It’s definitely going to be a challenge in any situation – fast break or half court – to handle this regardless of whether we’re on or off-ball.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 03:48pm.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 04:42pm
(Something hilarious)

LDB. PC foul. But it will unfortunately take us a while to get good at it, in some of these types of plays, I think.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 04:49pm
beware big brother

Don't know anything thing about NCAA-W rules or LDB since we don't use that on NCAA-M side, but don't you guys still have the rule that all defenders in the arc are secondary defenders on odd numbered breaks and wouldn't that supersede the LDB?
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 04:53pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Don't know anything thing about NCAA-W rules or LDB since we don't use that on NCAA-M side, but don't you guys still have the rule that all defenders in the arc are secondary defenders on odd numbered breaks and wouldn't that supersede the LDB?
Nope. If LDB is in play, RA goes away.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Nope. If LDB is in play, RA goes away.
I agree. This is the definition of the LDB play.

Since the official pointed to the RA he communicated that he had a charge (at the defender established LGP) BUT the secondary defender was in the RA. Since the RA did not exist because the offense started the drive in the LDB, we have a charge.

-Josh
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Fast break

If this happens in my game tomorrow, it's a block every time. I'm saying this is a fast-break situation throughout the entire play, which makes every defender a secondary defender.

Until Ms. Williamson says the LDB is in effect on a fast break (which would supersede rule 4-35 Art. 2), I have a hard time buying that the expectation is that we judge when a fast break situation ends.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
If this happens in my game tomorrow, it's a block every time. I'm saying this is a fast-break situation throughout the entire play, which makes every defender a secondary defender.

Until Ms. Williamson says the LDB is in effect on a fast break (which would supersede rule 4-35 Art. 2), I have a hard time buying that the expectation is that we judge when a fast break situation ends.
Then forgive me, but I think you're going to run into some problems with your supervisor. Unless you received a different interpretation than I did, the last half of 4-35.1 supercedes 4-35.2.

Quote:
There are no secondary defenders when the offensive player with the ball is within the lower defensive box when she starts her move to the basket.
This applies to fast-break and halfcourt situations.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 09:36pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
We don't have to judge that. And she doesn't need to explicitly state what you've suggested needs to be, since the rules already spell it out in 4-35-1, 10-1-13, and especially AR 94. You might want to reach out in your area for some clarification and pregame about that. A lot. Because you're mistaken.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

There was a play on the video (with the animated players) where there was a fast break, a pass to a player in thge LDB, a move to the basket, and a crash. Ruling: PC. Just like the OP.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob

Good call on the video...I just re-watched and Bob is spot on.

Thanks for clarifying, everyone...that's why the board exists.

Last edited by Matt S.; Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 10:04pm.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2013, 10:57pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Tough for you as L to see that she caught the ball in the LDB...did the C come in with information for you? I would have, even after you empahtically signalled the block at pointed at the restricted area.

That seems like what is going to have to happen - the outside officials are going to HAVE to come in with that information.
This was tough for me (obviously, that's why I posted it haha). If you watch my mechanics, you'll see that I get ready to bang it as a charge, and in mid-mechanic, I notice that the secondary defender's feet are in the RA. Therefore I switch it to a block. Last year, this would have been 100% the correct call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree with this.

It would be easier if the whole LDB was outlined or shaded.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Ok, so let me get this straight... on a block-charge play like this one, you have to now keep track of:

1) Did the defender obtain legal guarding position?
2) is defender inside the arc or not?
2) did offensive player "begin her move" inside the lower defensive block or not? And how do we define "begin her move"?

Is this just NCAAW, or does it apply to NCAAM as well?

Either way, this makes me glad that I only work FED basketball.
Your points are correct. That's a lot to think about in that tenth of a second you have to decide and call a play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Only NCAA-W.

And you need to change the order of your points. They should be in the order of 3, 1, 2.
I disagree. I think that 1) you need to call the play (LGP). 2) Take note of the RA (in or out). Then 3) Realize where the play originated from, and then make the correct call. There's a lot there to take in!
Old Sat Nov 02, 2013, 11:53pm
beware big brother

why did you switch the video to private?
Old Sun Nov 03, 2013, 09:44am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
why did you switch the video to private?
My mistake... It has been changed so you can see it now.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for sharing. I work on the men's side, but I'm familiar with the new LDB and this play would be hard to adjudicate. So much to consider. Luckily you got this play under your belt in November

On the men's side, it's not so hard, didn't have legal guarding prior to the start of the upward motion and in the RA. That makes 2 blocks
Old Thu Nov 07, 2013, 12:00pm
#thereferee99

A factor?

Lower Defensive Box (LDB)/Restricted Area (Rule 10-1.13).

Play 2: Player A2 is outside the LDB when she jumps into the air and receives the ball. When she receives the ball, she is over the LDB and then lands in the LDB.
Play 2 Ruling: Player A2 is in the LDB when she receives the ball because she is over the LDB when she catches it. Where she left the floor does not determine her position because she did not have the ball when she left the floor. The location of an airborne player in relation to the LDB is whether she is over the LDB when she receives the ball.