The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   LDB or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96443-ldb-not.html)

jeschmit Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:06pm

LDB or not?

Here's a play I had last night... This is what we got to look forward to in regards to fast breaks with the LDB in play now. I'll let you look at it before I tell you some of the explanations I received in regards to this play

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/vFrPyFqDtzo?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/vFrPyFqDtzo?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

bob jenkins Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:09pm

It looks to me like the second black player got the ball inside the LDB -- so this should have been a charge.

that said, it's difficult to tell (especially in live action) and "when in doubt she's out" -- so go with the arc being in effect and the block.

jritchie Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:11pm

Seems like everything last year was a charge on this and now this year they have talked about it so much, it is now going to be mostly blocks! Have to raise that scoring average all over the country.

rockyroad Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:26pm

Tough for you as L to see that she caught the ball in the LDB...did the C come in with information for you? I would have, even after you empahtically signalled the block at pointed at the restricted area.

That seems like what is going to have to happen - the outside officials are going to HAVE to come in with that information.

bob jenkins Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 909623)
Tough for you as L to see that she caught the ball in the LDB...did the C come in with information for you? I would have, even after you empahtically signalled the block at pointed at the restricted area.

That seems like what is going to have to happen - the outside officials are going to HAVE to come in with that information.

I agree with this.

It would be easier if the whole LDB was outlined or shaded.

Raymond Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:56pm

Did JRut approve his school being used for a Women's game? :D

jTheUmp Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:07pm

For us non-NCAA folks... what's LDB, and why does it matter?

Camron Rust Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:12pm

I don't like the fact that this is a block....it probably is but I still don't like it. That defender made great play to get position on both the first opponent and then to force the pass and still get position in front of the second opponent.

bob jenkins Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 909635)
For us non-NCAA folks... what's LDB, and why does it matter?

Lower Defensive Block.

If the offense begins her move in the LDB, then the RA (restricted area / arc) does NOT apply.

jeremy341a Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 909637)
I don't like the fact that this is a block....it probably is but I still don't like it. That defender made great play to get position on both the first opponent and then to force the pass and still get position in front of the second opponent.

I agree, this is an example of why I don't like the RA.

jTheUmp Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:22pm

Ok, so let me get this straight... on a block-charge play like this one, you have to now keep track of:

1) Did the defender obtain legal guarding position?
2) is defender inside the arc or not?
2) did offensive player "begin her move" inside the lower defensive block or not? And how do we define "begin her move"?

Is this just NCAAW, or does it apply to NCAAM as well?

Either way, this makes me glad that I only work FED basketball.

rockyroad Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 909637)

No, it shouldn't be a block. NCAA-W added the LDB...if the offensive player starts her move inside the LDB, then the RA does not apply. In this posted play, the official called a block because of the RA, but the C should have come in and let the L know that the RA was off because of the LDB.

RA =Restricted Area
LDB = Lower Defensive Box...from second lane space to 3 feet outside lane line and down to end line.

rockyroad Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 909641)
Ok, so let me get this straight... on a block-charge play like this one, you have to now keep track of:

2) did offensive player "begin her move" inside the lower defensive block or not? And how do we define "begin her move"?

Only NCAA-W.

And you need to change the order of your points. They should be in the order of 3, 1, 2.

APG Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 909641)

The NBA has the lower defensive box as well.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 909642)
No, it shouldn't be a block. NCAA-W added the LDB...if the offensive player starts her move inside the LDB, then the RA does not apply. In this posted play, the official called a block because of the RA, but the C should have come in and let the L know that the RA was off because of the LDB.

RA =Restricted Area
LDB = Lower Defensive Box...from second lane space to 3 feet outside lane line and down to end line.

Or did they. I thought that was part of the issue above was that it was right on the largely invisible line. I was assuming that point in my comments.