The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

3-man court coverage

Were is there a printable copy of 3- man coverage for high school?
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post

In the NFHS Official's Manual.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 11:18pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post
Here is a resource I like to use.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

I copied this from some post some where.

I think it's about as good as it gets.

As some have stated in previous posts, the switches depend on your state or association. IAABO states are the same as Men's NCAA and go opposite the table. NFHS states are the same as Women's NCAA and go table side. There may be some exceptions. Learn the "home" starting positions for each. T should be at the 28' mark, C is at the oul Line Extended, and the L is either wide or at close down/pinch the paint depending on where the ball is. If you get to see yourself on video, always make sure the 3 of you are in these home positions. You may have to adjust 1 or 2 steps depending on where the action is and to maintain an open look. L should always mirror the ball, but should not be watching the ball. Learn to see the ball out of the top of your eyes as the L and still officiate your PCA. T must stay connected in the front court. The T and L should work as a team with post play. T referees the feet and L referees the defense. C must be ready for curl plays. Think "go away, stay away." If you are the L and the play goes away from you, let the C have that play. As L, look for a reason to rotate. I use the 3 immediates as when NOT to rotate in the L:

1. Immediate drive
2. Immediate shot
3. Immediate pass

If any of these happen, do not rotate, as you can put the crew in a bad position, and won't be able to officiate the play properly.

If the ball crosses the basket line, move to pinch the paint. If the ball settles, than rotate, but make sure to referee where you came from. As L, you are still responsible for anything in that area. As C, do not be in a hurry to rotate to the T. If L rotates over, and as C you have an open look, stay with that look until the play dissolves. 2 C's are ok, but you never want to T's.

In transition, the C should be even with or slightly ahead of the pack of players and is responsible for side line to side line and tip of circle to tip of circle. If there is pressure in the back court, position yourself at the 28' and assist with coverage. Don't bail out too early. Remain and read. The T should be 2-3 steps behind the player/players and should maintain an open look. If the ball handler is not being pressured, look ahead and be able to see as many of the other players as possible. L should get to the end line to receive the play. If there is pressure in the back court, L should be no deeper than foul line extended in the front court. As the play comes into the front court, move to the end line to receive the play. Again, mirror the ball. If the ball is coming up the middle of the court, go right to close down position. I know there is a lot here to absorb, but I hope this helps. Get a hold of a mechanics manual and watch as many 3 person games as you can. The more you work it, the more comfortable you will become with it.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Hilarious. I love it!
Old Thu Nov 07, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Brutal