The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 10:14pm
This IS My Social Life

Deflected Throw-In Goes In

Older threads went back and forth on this, and I'd like to renew the question so as to settle on a firm, rules-based judgment on this situation:

Throw-in thrown toward throw-in team's basket deflects off a defender standing outside the three-point arc and goes through the basket. Result is two points due to the fact that the "throw" did not originate "from the field" as requisite in 5-2-1. True or False?

Previous threads from a while ago wavered back and forth until seemingly settling on the "two points" result.

Casebook does not seem to settle the question since all sitches there deal with passes and throws from a player inbounds.

Any rules-based insights you can share with me?

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 10:22pm.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 10:32pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Any rules-based insights you can share with me?
I have three points. Referencing 5.2.1 Situation D with a little bit of 5.2.1 Situation C thrown in.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 11:26pm
(Something hilarious)

NCAA-W AR 104 and 106.A lead me toward saying it...I still don't know. Someone smarter than me provide some amazing insight here.
Quote:
A.R. 104. A1’s throw (pass) from behind the three-point line is deflected while in flight by:
1. B1; or
2. A2, both of whom are located inside the three-point line.
RULING 1: When a ball thrown (passed) in the direction of the basket from behind the three-point line with the possibility of entering the basket from above is deflected by a defender, a three-point goal shall be counted. However, if there is no possibility of the ball entering the basket from above and the “deflection caused the goal to be successful, a two-point goal shall be counted.
2: When a thrown (passed) ball is deflected by a teammate and the goal is successful, two points shall be awarded.
When a passed ball hits the ring and does not enter the basket, there is no reset of the shot clock.

A.R. 106. A ball passed from behind the three-point line:
1. Enters the basket from above and passes through;
2. Is deflected and enters the basket from above and passes through; or
3. Strikes the side of the ring or the flange.
RULING 1: A three-point goal shall be counted.
2: When there is no possibility of the ball entering the basket from above and the deflection causes the goal to be successful, it shall be a two-point goal. However, when a ball is passed in the direction of the basket with the possibility of entering the basket from above and the deflection does not influence its success, a three-point goal shall be counted.
3: The ball shall remain live. In each case, when a passed ball hits the ring and does not enter the basket, there is no reset of the shot clock.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 03:03am
We don't rent pigs

No way can this be three points.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 03:31am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No way can this be three points.
Care to share your extrapolation of the rules/case plays?
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

My opinion is ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I have three points. Referencing 5.2.1 Situation D with a little bit of 5.2.1 Situation C thrown in.
I read 5-2-1 and 5.2.1 Sit C & D. This particular situation isn't specifically addressed as far as I see. So, I come down on the side of a 2 point basket because of the "thrown ball from the field" verbiage in the rule.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
NCAA-W AR 104 and 106.A lead me toward saying it...I still don't know. Someone smarter than me provide some amazing insight here.
Since you can't score a goal on a throw-in pass, then I would have a deflection be worth only two points, not three, based on the NCAA rules.

I would rule the same way in FED.

And to the OP -- if it wasn't resolved then, and there haven't been any (relevant) changes, what makes you think it would be resolved now?
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 08:08am
Esteemed Participant

The throw-in ended when the ball was legally touched by the defender. There was never a throw (shot attempt) made by an offensive player. So the rules cited do not really apply. This would be two points.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Since you can't score a goal on a throw-in pass, then I would have a deflection be worth only two points, not three, based on the NCAA rules.

I would rule the same way in FED.

And to the OP -- if it wasn't resolved then, and there haven't been any (relevant) changes, what makes you think it would be resolved now?
All is right with my world when I agree with Bob.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 09:20am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The throw-in ended when the ball was legally touched by the defender. There was never a throw (shot attempt) made by an offensive player. So the rules cited do not really apply. This would be two points.
Yep. Live ball through the goal, does not meet the criteria for 3 points.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

With that same scenario, what if time expires while the ball is in flight..do you count the basket or wave off the basket?
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 10:10am
M.A.S.H.

Score two points in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd1172 View Post
With that same scenario, what if time expires while the ball is in flight..do you count the basket or wave off the basket?
jdd - no basket.

Last edited by tjones1; Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 10:17am.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd1172 View Post
The period doesn't end until a TRY IN FLIGHT ends. This wasn't, so it does. Do not count the basket.

(Same as if the ball was thrown toward the opponent's basket.)
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 11:03am
(Something hilarious)

I agree with the 2-points rulings here, but I'd want to be careful not to mistakenly state that it's 2 because "you can score a 3-pt. basket from a throw-in," since the throw-in technically ended on the defensive deflection - even though that's essentially how we're logically getting there.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 11:06am
This IS My Social Life

Sorry. Wait, No I'm Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

In the previous threads from a while ago many posters confused this situation with those in the casebook which do not deal with a throw in. And I see at least one responder to this thread made the same error. I asked the question again for the sake of clarity and confirmation and I thank you for your responses.

But because I may have discomforted some with my request I will be sure to seek permission before asking anything like this again.