The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, for the responses. It's been common that partners who are used to working together would give the "tipped ball" signal, rather than approaching one's partner with the info. With the acceptance of that signal, specifically for a ball that's tipped by the defense, which then goes into the backcourt, it got me thinking about other, perhaps unauthorized uses of that signal.

And, last Sat. my partner didn't show until 2 min. to go in the 1st half, (pre-season game - he went to the wrong site) I had such a call, before he arrived. The signal was my best option, since I was working from T to T, and the air-ball went OOB across the key, on the endline. The players all understood what had occured, and the game proceeded.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal.
No need to come to me, just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then
blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.
+1. Don't hammer on the whistle. A gentle tweet just loud enough to get your partners attention should suffice.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 05:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No need to blow the whistle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Don't hammer on the whistle. A gentle tweet just loud enough to get your partners attention should suffice.
Good advice. Sometimes we don't need the whistle, especially if we're both on the same page in terms of eye contact. Sometimes we need a gentle tweet to get one's attention, especially if the administering official is one of those guys that likes to keep the game moving and tends to rush the inbound administration.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)