The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Partially blocked shot

2-man game: as Trail

3-point attempt from left elbow area, by A1, shot is partially blocked by B1, immediately off the shooter's hand, and then goes towards the basket, but is not touched by any other player, and goes out-of-bounds on the endline, to which Lead whistles the ball dead, and indicates B team possession.

How do you guys handle the communication with your partner, to let him/her know that the ball was last touched by B1?
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
2-man game: as Trail

3-point attempt from left elbow area, by A1, shot is partially blocked by B1, immediately off the shooter's hand, and then goes towards the basket, but is not touched by any other player, and goes out-of-bounds on the endline, to which Lead whistles the ball dead, and indicates B team possession.

How do you guys handle the communication with your partner, to let him/her know that the ball was last touched by B1?
I give a quick tweet of the whistle to get my partner's attention, give a tip signal to him, and signal the direction we should be going.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:40am
Do not give a damn!!

You go to your partner and say, "The defender clearly tipped the ball on the shot and it went out of bounds." Then the Lead should put the whistle in their mouth and blow the whistle and point in the proper direction.

This should be pre-gamed before every game so you are on the same page. But your partner that is helping should not be asking any questions or trying to find things out. You only do this when you know for sure what you saw and let the calling official make the decision to change the call.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I handle these cases basically the same. I approach my partner and give him what information I have. B1 blocked the shot. Then I let them reverse.

I try to pre game this at the high school level and above.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I give a quick tweet of the whistle to get my partner's attention, give a tip signal to him, and signal the direction we should be going.
What if your partner disagrees with what you saw or something else was the reason they called the out of bounds call?

I would not recommend you signal anything. Just go to them and let them change the call.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What if your partner disagrees with what you saw or something else was the reason they called the out of bounds call?

I would not recommend you signal anything. Just go to them and let them change the call.

Peace
As described in the original post, I do what is stated above, when it is obvious no one else touched it after the tip. If there is the possibility that someone else touched it going OOB, I'll get together with my partner and let him know what I saw on the original shot/tip, but if there was another touching prior to the ball going OOB, I'l leave it up to him to decide what he saw.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:50am
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You go to your partner and say, "The defender clearly tipped the ball on the shot and it went out of bounds." Then the Lead should put the whistle in their mouth and blow the whistle and point in the proper direction.

This should be pre-gamed before every game so you are on the same page. But your partner that is helping should not be asking any questions or trying to find things out. You only do this when you know for sure what you saw and let the calling official make the decision to change the call.

Peace
Rut once again stated it perfectly..let the calling official make any changes just provide solid info to help out
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
As described in the original post, I do what is stated above, when it is obvious no one else touched it after the tip. If there is the possibility that someone else touched it going OOB, I'll get together with my partner and let him know what I saw on the original shot/tip, but if there was another touching prior to the ball going OOB, I'l leave it up to him to decide what he saw.
When you give a signal, if you are wrong or if your partner saw what you saw, but you did not see last action, now if they stay with that original call you have really put that officials in a bind.

I had this happen a long time ago with a very good official and he gave a signal because he saw the initial action. He did not see the the very last action or the ball going off a players face right over the end line. I did not even signal the change and when I asked my partner after the game, "Did you see the ball off his face on that play?" He said no and I told him if he would have just come to me I would have been able to get that play right. After all, that is the goal.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

As lead, when these plays happen, I'll often have a whistle and then look to my partner and ask if it was tipped.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 11:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
As lead, when these plays happen, I'll often have a whistle and then look to my partner and ask if it was tipped.
I do too especially when the ball goes out of bounds on a shot. Unless a player is a horrible shooter, something happen that deflected the ball to me as the lead.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This, whether working 2-person or 3-person.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just curious...what basis in rule do you have for over-ruling a call made by your partner? I read this as you do it in a manner visible to all in the gym, if I read it wrong, my apologies.

Go to them, tell them what you saw and let them decided.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 01:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quickly run to my partner, tell him the shot was blocked, quickly head back to my spot (hoping to hear a whistle and new call by my partner). I try not to use my whistle to get his attention if I don't need to.

If I give information, I go to my partner and give it verbally, no clandestine signals or pointing.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 05:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From My Pregame ...

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal.
No need to come to me, just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then
blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal.
No need to come to me, just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then
blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.
No need to blow the whistle.