The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 02:58pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Do you ask that person even if they are not one of the starters?
I probably wouldn't especially since half the time I don't ask them at all because I've forgot their numbers even though it was only 5 minutes before.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 03:22pm
This IS My Social Life

We've Been Here Before

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
In my association we have the Coaches and Captains meetings and always identify the "speaking" captain. This is the person we ask before the ball is tossed if their team is ready to play.
Q: If that player did not know English, or if he had laryngitis, or if he was dumb and could not use his voice, would that invalidate him from that contrived role?
:-) 3-1-1 :-)
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 05:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Speak No Evil ...

I am fully aware that the NFHS only recognizes one captain on each team, however:

I will "speak" to any player, not just the "speaking" captains, and not just the captains, if they approach me politely, even if it's the players on the end of the bench who come in during garbage time.

I will use any of the captains, not just the "speaking" captains, or any of the players (not just the captains) who appear to have any leadership skills, to help me to defuse "chippy" situations, to prevent these situations from escalating.

Before I toss the ball to start the game, I make a general statement, "Everybody ready?", and this is not only directed to the captains, or to the "speaking" captains, but to all the starting players.

That's my story, it's served me well for thirty-two years, and I'm sticking to it.

I also realize that there is a certain amount of "When in Rome .." involved here, so, to each his own.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 29, 2013 at 05:02pm.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 06:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Before I toss the ball to start the game, I make a general statement, "Everybody ready?", and this is not only directed to the captains, or to the "speaking" captains, but to all the starting players.
Before I toss the ball, I blow my whistle and then tell the jumpers I go straight up, I don't bounce the ball. If the other 8 players aren't ready I'll let my partner(s) handle that.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 07:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Before I toss the ball, I blow my whistle and then tell the jumpers I go straight up, I don't bounce the ball. If the other 8 players aren't ready I'll let my partner(s) handle that.
I bounce, right about the time I get to the circle.

I should probably say something as I approach, but I don't. I just hit my whistle, drop the whistle, and walk in from the sideline.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Some here still ask for speaking captains.

I do not.

Never have. Never will. If a player comes to me and asks me a question or a request to watch something as long as it's done in a respectful and courteous manner I will gladly oblige. Regardless of whether or not they are the captain.

I will never tell the captains it's the grey line ...

My message is something like this.

Shirts tucked in.
Subs to the table.
Nothing goofy in the hair ( for the girls season)
take care of your players

good luck, have fun.

With the coaches- introduce myself.

Remind them to indicate if they want a 30 or 60 and to break the huddle on the 1st horn. Good luck, and have fun.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 11:54pm
AremRed

I couldn't find the thread, but I love Adam's coaches meeting. I think it goes something like this:

1. Legally equipped?
2. Good sportsmanship
3. There's the coaches box

Done.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 06:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Want To Borrow My Slide Rule ...

Quote:
Before I toss the ball, I blow my whistle and then tell the jumpers I go straight up.
Not me. I tell them that I will toss it so that it forms a parabolic curve toward the northwest end of the gymnasium. The gives the honor student-athletes a slight advantage, and encourages all the players to pay attention in mathematics, and geography, classes.

BadNewsRef: Seriously. Why would you choose to say this? Are there any other acceptable ways to toss? Do you have a lot of poor tossers in your local association?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not me. I tell them that I will toss it so that it forms a parabolic curve toward the northwest end of the gymnasium. The gives the honor student-athletes a slight advantage, and encourages all the players to pay attention in mathematics, and geography, classes.

BadNewsRef: Seriously. Why would you choose to say this? Are there any other acceptable ways to toss? Do you have a lot of poor tossers in your local association?
We need a like button on here. As a math teacher, I loved this.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Everyone else bounces the ball at least once when they reach the circle...I come in ready to toss, no bounce. And I'm 6'5", so I make those kids really jump to get it.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Everyone else bounces the ball at least once when they reach the circle...I come in ready to toss, no bounce. And I'm 6'5", so I make those kids really jump to get it.
Any of them just wait for gravity?
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Any of them just wait for gravity?
If I were a coach, I wouldn't even worry about the opening tap. I'd just set up for a defensive tip and look forward to getting the first AP arrow.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 04:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, Give Me A Break, I Hadn't Had My Morning Cup Of Coffee Yet ...

Quote:
Everyone else bounces the ball at least once when they reach the circle...I come in ready to toss, no bounce.
Now I get it. By "straight" up you mean that you're going to toss it right away, it doesn't mean that you're going to toss it in a straight line, even though you probably will.

Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's my story, it's served me well for thirty-two eyes, and I'm sticking to it.
Damn...

So how often do you have to replace your eyes?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 05:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Eyes Have It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
So how often do you have to replace your eyes?
Actually, I'll be having cataract surgery within six, to eighteen, months, depending on how rapidly the cataract in the better eye progresses. To be honest with all of you, I'm scared to death about this procedure. The only good thing? When fans, and coaches, yell at me this coming season, "Are you blind?", I'll be able to truthfully reply, "You're damned right I am".