The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

This may be little long; I will try to shorten it.

I was not there, a buddy official of mine was and related this incident:

At half-time of a varsity boys game while chkg at the scores table, a fan of the home team told the R that 2 of the visiting players changed jerseys while the game was going on.

In the locker room they discussed the sit. and agreed the R would ask the visiting coach if this happened; they did. His response: “No, why would they?”

They checked with the home book (scorekeeper) and asked if there were any concerns or problems with the book regarding players or their numbers. The scorekeeper responded, as far as he knew, there were not.

Second half started and played. In the locker room after, 2 newer officials came in and were asked by my friend if they saw anything (speaking generally). One volunteered that he observed the switching of the jerseys.

Questions: 1) Could/should they have done anything additional or different? Would you?

2) They discussed what rule applications might have come into play. My friend stated that if A: one of those players who switched jerseys had entered with an illegal jersey (#) once the ball became alive (without them detecting the illegal #/name) he was now legal. And B: if caught before he entered, could only enter after the assessment of a technical foul. True A and/or B?

3) Any other rule applications we are missing here?
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

See mdray's post below regarding the Technical foul.

As for being notified that such an event has occurred, I'm not concerned with it unless the scorer, timer, or either team notifies me. In other words, I'm not concerned with what a fan tells me, whether it's that the score is wrong or two players have changed jerseys.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 11th, 2003 at 04:53 PM]
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

It look likes my friend was thinking of Rule 3-3-3, which does not seem to apply to this situation. Correct?
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me the only reason 2 players would want to switch jerseys is if one of them has too many fouls and is doing so to gain an unfair advantage in the game. Hard to prove, but I think somehow this goes beyond just playing with an illegal number.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Seems to me the only reason 2 players would want to switch jerseys is if one of them has too many fouls and is doing so to gain an unfair advantage in the game. Hard to prove, but I think somehow this goes beyond just playing with an illegal number.
Good point. I'm sure there was a reason.

But it would be hard to prove anything if the kids were twins.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

(if discovered) If a player participates after changing his/her number without reporting it to the scorers and an official, the penalty is a flagrant technical foul 10-3-1
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

mdray,

Ohhh! That's right. I do recall that severe penalty for this violation--now that you've reminded us. Thank you.

I, also, thought they may have been doing it because of the number personal fouls one of them might have had. Also thought they might have discoverd they put the wrong jerseys on in the locker room prior to coming out, discoverd it while seated and chose to exchange.

I'm curios though, if others agree with BBR about ignoring totally the comments of the fan in this situation.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I definitely agree; ignore any/all comments from the fans
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

what if one of the officials who were observing the game had mentioned it to you, say at halftime in the locker room before you came back out for the 2nd half? (One of the 2 non-working officials--those that came in after the game.)
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

I would say unless you yourself have absolute knowledge, meaning you either saw them change jerseys yourself or you remember by looking at them that they had different numbers earlier in the game, you let it go. You're about to toss 2 kids out of the game, so you'd better be absolutely sure you know they did what you're about to accuse them of. The word of anyone else, even another official, should be taken with a grain of salt unless you know without a doubt that they are correct.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
(if discovered) If a player participates after changing his/her number without reporting it to the scorers and an official, the penalty is a flagrant technical foul 10-3-1
No argument there but you have to be able to prove that they switched 'em.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

In order for the flagerant foul to be called, you must've witnessed the change. Otherwise, if they did have the wrong numbers and you didn't see them change, wouldn't it just be a team technical for altering the scorebook?
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

great point ref18. I've got to agree with you on this point.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

If the official scorer or an official recognizes the switch, I will not need to see the exchange to throw the T.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just wondering if the scorer recognizes the switch, do you hit both players up with a flagerant, or the team T for having to make the change in the scorebook to correct the numbers?