The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Let's just say I am plenty willing to use other tools. In the summer, though, I'm more likely to skip to the most efficient.

And in either case, it has nothing to do with a close late game. The perfect time for an idiot coach and his idiot players to learn to control their pie holes is during "meaningless" summer games.
I can't say that I don't disagree with you at all. But, I am not automatically going to default to a technical foul just because it is a "summer" game. I feel that you can also use "summer" games to "strongly educate" coaches and players.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldGuy View Post
I can't say that I don't disagree with you at all. But, I am not automatically going to default to a technical foul just because it is a "summer" game. I feel that you can also use "summer" games to "strongly educate" coaches and players.
That's a nice theory, but there's a huge difference in the demeanor and professionalism between a high school coach, whose job is at stake, and an AAU/Select coach, who essentially is the boss of his own empire. It's often a futile effort to attempt to educate an AAU coach.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
That's a nice theory, but there's a huge difference in the demeanor and professionalism between a high school coach, whose job is at stake, and an AAU/Select coach, who essentially is the boss of his own empire. It's often a futile effort to attempt to educate an AAU coach.
You are 100% correct.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The perfect time for an idiot coach and his idiot players to learn to control their pie holes is during "meaningless" summer games.
Oh, yeah. +1 big time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It's often a futile effort to attempt to educate an AAU coach.
Again, +1. Your attempts are likely to fall on deaf ears and you end up giving the tech anyway. It's summer ball ... if we can all agree that we're not doing rotations and switches as we would normally do during the season, it can't be that big of a leap to understand that for reduced pay we're also listening to/tolerating less BS. Why not just skip the preliminaries and go straight to the main event?
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
It's summer ball ... if we can all agree that we're not doing rotations and switches as we would normally do during the season, it can't be that big of a leap to understand that for reduced pay we're also listening to/tolerating less BS. Why not just skip the preliminaries and go straight to the main event?
I would even take it one step further and say it's often more BS more quickly than what we deal with in HS ball. These coaches go from zero to psycho in less than a second. Any attempt to calm them down or *gasp* reason with them usually only makes them go more insane. They aren't listening. They are only reacting. And then the parents (and sometimes the players) feed off of the coach's reaction. If you don't nip it in the bud, it only gets worse.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Had you and your partner discussed this kids behavior. What kinds of things had he been saying to you both the entire game. I dont have as much experience but normally a kid who behaviors like that at the end of a game is a problem every game and has a big mouth every game. The coach knows it and either takes care of it or lets him loose. I have given him his one warning by this time. If he goes off after that warning I think he should get a T. If his last foul was wimpy then I might give him a little more room. I would love to hear anything that was discussed or heard from this kid up to this point.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We all handle these situations differently. How we choose to handle them will determine what levels we actually work. Each one of these plays will be treated on an individual basis. But I am goign to try to find a way not to whack this kid instead of finding a reason to whack him...if it can be avoided. I have whacked many a player but lets not fool ourselves...time and score do mean a lot in this play.
Absolute garbage. Time and score NEVER mean anything when it comes to unsporting behavior. That needs to get penalized consistently. Failure to do so is an affront to officiating in general and the game itself.

Stop thinking like a coach and start having the mindset of an official.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Earlier in my career I think I looked for reasons to give technical fouls...show everyone that I am in control. I have learned over 23 years to look for ways not to give technical fouls. Use all my resources and experience to defuse situations...if at all possible. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't...but if there is some "gray area" I am going to try.
It seems that now you may have swung too far to the lenient side. You need to have your partner's back. I don't care if one has been officiating for 3 years or 30 years, one needs to assess the technical fouls that are warranted. Some excellent advice which has served me well for over a decade is to never compromise on a safety issue and always penalize unsporting behavior.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It seems that now you may have swung too far to the lenient side. You need to have your partner's back. I don't care if one has been officiating for 3 years or 30 years, one needs to assess the technical fouls that are warranted. Some excellent advice which has served me well for over a decade is to never compromise on a safety issue and always penalize unsporting behavior.
I will always have my partners back...whacking everyone really doesn't solve all your problems...I didn't say I don't whack kids when technicals are warranted...just your definition of warranted and my definition of warranted maybe totally different.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Absolute garbage. Time and score NEVER mean anything when it comes to unsporting behavior. That needs to get penalized consistently. Failure to do so is an affront to officiating in general and the game itself.

Stop thinking like a coach and start having the mindset of an official.
If you don't think that time and score may be a factor then you are just kidding yourself...but I am just a sellout according to you so what do I know.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you don't think that time and score may be a factor then you are just kidding yourself...but I am just a sellout according to you so what do I know.
You must be an ex-coach too.
"Lah me."
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
45 seconds left in tie game..A1 fouls out and while on bench is mouthing off to my partner who called his fifth foul who was opposite the bench. I was right in front of A's bench and told the coach I can't have A1 talking from the bench to my partner and asked for his help to stop it.

Did I handle this in the best way?
From your description and the fact you're asking the group whether you handled it properly it sounds as though you have some remorse over not calling the T. Someone up the food chain told a group of us recently that we generally only regret the ones we don't call.

Back to the OP: I only just put the scene together in my head (hey, I'm old). Was A1 on the bench saying things to your partner that were loud enough for your partner to hear 40-50 feet away? If that's the case then a T is a no-brainer regardless of time/score. Even if it was loud enough for you to hear - obviously it was - I don't think letting it slide is proper. A kid fouls out we all know there will be some grumbling but after that initial response (s)he needs to be quiet.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You must be an ex-coach too.
"Lah me."
Sorry to disappoint you...NO!