The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:10pm
Ok is the new good

Coach Help

45 seconds left in tie game..A1 fouls out and while on bench is mouthing off to my partner who called his fifth foul who was opposite the bench. I was right in front of A's bench and told the coach I can't have A1 talking from the bench to my partner and asked for his help to stop it.

Did I handle this in the best way?

With a tie game and 45 seconds left I wanted to have some restraint b4 I tagged the kid.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:55pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
45 seconds left in tie game..A1 fouls out and while on bench is mouthing off to my partner who called his fifth foul who was opposite the bench. I was right in front of A's bench and told the coach I can't have A1 talking from the bench to my partner and asked for his help to stop it.

With a tie game and 45 seconds left I wanted to have some restraint b4 I tagged the kid.
Sounds like great restraint in a close game. If the kid has been a problem all game long and the coach knows the kid has been warned, I would be more likely to call a tech in that situation. It's all about judging the situation and weighing the rules, and what has happened up to that point in the game.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 07:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I honestly can't think of any scenario where I don't call this technical. Easy call, IMO.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I honestly can't think of any scenario where I don't call this technical. Easy call, IMO.
I can but there aren't many

If the kid is rockheaded enough to mouth off in that situation and his coach - or assistant, if there's one around - isn't aware enough to stop him, then he deserves whatever he gets.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jun 30, 2013, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Depends on what you meant by "moputhing off" but the way you handled it is fine, to me.
Old Sun Jun 30, 2013, 10:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I can but there aren't many

If the kid is rockheaded enough to mouth off in that situation and his coach - or assistant, if there's one around - isn't aware enough to stop him, then he deserves whatever he gets.
I'll expand just a bit. I suppose it depends, as bob says, and what is meant by "mouthing off," and it may mean something different to me than to the OP. But a coach needs to be proactive in taking care of his bench in this situation, IMO. It would be pretty easy for him to hear the comments and address them before I had the chance, and I'd likely give him a second to address it before I stepped in. Most games around here, the coach would shut this down quickly.

In the case where I'm willing to ask the coach to step up, it'll be something along the lines of, "Coach, do you want to take care of your bench, or should I?" And if his response isn't immediately to address his player, we're shooting free throws.
Old Sun Jun 30, 2013, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

The above post is perfectly stated.....

Adam - your hoop IQ goes through the roof when not responding to Billy Mac
Old Mon Jul 01, 2013, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

I'd say that you didn't support your partner and allowed the kid to get away with unsporting behavior.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2013, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaref View Post
i'd say that you didn't support your partner and allowed the kid to get away with unsporting behavior.
+1
Old Mon Jul 01, 2013, 03:48pm
Official & Member

I'd say you handled it well (OP). I think I'd hold back on whacking him and see if the coach addresses...along with my comment like "Coach, please control your bench. This is the only time I'm going to say it". MOST coaches are going to jump on the kid because they realize he could cost them the game due to his nonsense.

If the coach does nothing and doesn't acknowledge the comment, all bets are off and the very next "peep" from the bench is getting a swift T.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

We all handle these situations differently. How we choose to handle them will determine what levels we actually work. Each one of these plays will be treated on an individual basis. But I am goign to try to find a way not to whack this kid instead of finding a reason to whack him...if it can be avoided. I have whacked many a player but lets not fool ourselves...time and score do mean a lot in this play.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 07:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldGuy View Post
We all handle these situations differently. How we choose to handle them will determine what levels we actually work. Each one of these plays will be treated on an individual basis. But I am goign to try to find a way not to whack this kid instead of finding a reason to whack him...if it can be avoided. I have whacked many a player but lets not fool ourselves...time and score do mean a lot in this play.
Time and score may have an affect on how I'd call it, but not in this case. Tie game, bench needs to learn to shut their collective pie hole. Blow out game and the losing team is getting a bit restless? I'd be more inclined to actually approach the coach and give him a chance to deal with it.

Tie game? Summer ball? Perfect time to learn the lesson, IMO.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 08:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Multi Sport needed no help with the coaches in our camp game. I think less than 2 minutes into the game he rang up an AC. And he sent him packing by the time we reached halftime.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Time and score may have an affect on how I'd call it, but not in this case. Tie game, bench needs to learn to shut their collective pie hole. Blow out game and the losing team is getting a bit restless? I'd be more inclined to actually approach the coach and give him a chance to deal with it.

Tie game? Summer ball? Perfect time to learn the lesson, IMO.
Earlier in my career I think I looked for reasons to give technical fouls...show everyone that I am in control. I have learned over 23 years to look for ways not to give technical fouls. Use all my resources and experience to defuse situations...if at all possible. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't...but if there is some "gray area" I am going to try.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 09:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldGuy View Post
Earlier in my career I think I looked for reasons to give technical fouls...show everyone that I am in control. I have learned over 23 years to look for ways not to give technical fouls. Use all my resources and experience to defuse situations...if at all possible. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't...but if there is some "gray area" I am going to try.
Let's just say I am plenty willing to use other tools. In the summer, though, I'm more likely to skip to the most efficient.

And in either case, it has nothing to do with a close late game. The perfect time for an idiot coach and his idiot players to learn to control their pie holes is during "meaningless" summer games.