Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:36am
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
One coach thinks we're pathetic.

Parent from the other team says he's a college official and I need "to learn."

And I missed part of Father's Day for this.
Sad to say but this happens in gyms all over the country and to all levels of officials..state playoff, college and rookies subject to this...nature of the beast!
Old Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I doubt it. His point is that since some people (even officials) can't get one rule set right, it is OK to have multiple rule sets which creates even more confusion. How that is a good thing, is beyond me. If there are people that can't keep one straight, how does he expect it to be better when people have to keep 3-4 straight?
Actually is was funny that the guy claimed to be a high school official and did not know a basic rule that he would have to apply. I will admit that I am making a larger point that you tried to suggest that all rules should not be different, but that was not the case in this conversation. And the conversation was more extensive then I mentioned. He literally was claiming you could not apply continuous motion when a player started his motion on the floor or in the manner my partner and me were applying the rules.

And truth be told most of us only have to apply 1 or 2 at most. And if you are doing pro rules an a regular basis, you probably are not doing high school rules most of the time.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 12:27pm.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:49am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
His point is that even when the rules are the same officials are confused or just plain don't know the rules so quit all the whining about different rule sets.

And I'm saying a good official knows multiple rule sets if he/she is working different levels. And a coach should know the rules that apply to his games. And I don't care dif fans are confused.
Whining? Interesting choice of words...

I could care less whether rulesets are common or different. We get paid to know the rules for the gym we are working in that evening.

But to bring that discussion into Adam's thread is unnecessary. And to call someone else's opinion on it "whining" is stooping to the same level that the "college official" in Adam's OP stooped to.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
His point is that even when the rules are the same officials are confused or just plain don't know the rules so quit all the whining about different rule sets.

And I'm saying a good official knows multiple rule sets if he/she is working different levels. And a coach should know the rules that apply to his games. And I don't care dif fans are confused.
Who's whining? I'm not. I'm just saying the with more differences in the rules it can only lead to even more people being mixed up, officials included. It can't make it better. It would only make the environment of basketball for all involved if there were fewer differences.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2013, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Who's whining? I'm not. I'm just saying the with more differences in the rules it can only lead to even more people being mixed up, officials included. It can't make it better. It would only make the environment of basketball for all involved if there were fewer differences.
There are not very many differences. At least not when you compare basketball to other sports for sure.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 19, 2013, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Agree

Quote:

I donated 6 games for a memorial tournament last month...the abuse level was off the charts. (age group was ex-jocks in their 20's) add the co-ed flavor and alcohol factor, I'm left thinking...never again. Too bad, really, because the tournament is a benefit.
Old Wed Jun 19, 2013, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He'll Take The Fifth ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Alcohol factor.
About thirty years ago, I regularly worked a high school boys recreation league in a small town. There were only five teams in the league and they played on Thursday nights. With an odd number of teams, one team would play twice that night. Game #1: A vs. B. Game #2: C vs. D. Game # 3: E vs. A. Every week one team of high school age boys would have to hang around, usually in the parking lot, for about an hour between their two assigned games. Anybody want to guess what high school age boys are going to do with an hour to kill in a dark parking lot on a Thursday night? Lot's of technical fouls, ejections (we actually ejected players out of the gymnasium back then) and a few forfeits, in that third game. That was the first, and last, year that I worked that recreation league. Amazing what a little bit of CH3CH2OH will do to a player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 07:17pm.
Old Wed Jun 19, 2013, 07:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Let the games begin!

I start my summer league in two weeks. Just got my schedule. I do the B16-18 yr olds and have reffed these kids since they were "wee little lads."

Usually a good league with no issues. Hope my luck continues this season!
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Exactly why I no longer do summer games. It isn't worth the hassle.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 06:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

grunewar's Way, Or The Highway ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I have reffed these kids since they were "wee little lads." Usually a good league with no issues.
Obviously, you have set the correct tone.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 01:40pm
beware big brother

Worked some crap-ass HS shootout this past weekend because it was assigned by one of the college assignors I work for and he expects you to work at least one day at one of the many HS shootouts he assigns every summer. One of the schools has a new coach. He is a young guy and this is his first head coaching experience at varsity level so he is a little wound up and kind of excitable. He is questioning lots of calls and acting like this is the state playoffs rather than the glorified practice that it is. They are getting drilled by 30 late in the second half when a player from the other team comes flying out of nowhere for an amazing two hand follow up dunk on a missed shot. I was trail and it was probably basket interference, but taking into account it is summer, games dont mean anything, score at the time, and just the plain awesome nature of the play, I decide not to wave the basket off. The coach starts jumping up and down complaining about goaltending. So I go over there and tell him relax it is a summer league game there isnt any reason to get all worked up. He says it was GT, I tell him the ball was out of the cylinder. He wants to keep arguing and eventually says it is my opinion the ball is out of the cylinder. Finally, ive had enough so I respond to him that if he wanted his opinion to matter, he should have become a referee instead of a coach. I think it stunned him into silence. The only good thing about these worthless summer games is the level of professionalism expected from us is so much lower than the regular season we can actually respond to these idiot coaches in ways that we never can when the games matter.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
They are getting drilled by 30 late in the second half when a player from the other team comes flying out of nowhere for an amazing two hand follow up dunk on a missed shot. I was trail and it was probably basket interference, but taking into account it is summer, games dont mean anything, score at the time, and just the plain awesome nature of the play, I decide not to wave the basket off.
That to would make me more likely to call it, not ignore it. Why let the team that is getting drilled get embarrassed by an illegal play? No good can come from that.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Worked some crap-ass HS shootout this past weekend because it was assigned by one of the college assignors I work for and he expects you to work at least one day at one of the many HS shootouts he assigns every summer. One of the schools has a new coach. He is a young guy and this is his first head coaching experience at varsity level so he is a little wound up and kind of excitable. He is questioning lots of calls and acting like this is the state playoffs rather than the glorified practice that it is. They are getting drilled by 30 late in the second half when a player from the other team comes flying out of nowhere for an amazing two hand follow up dunk on a missed shot. I was trail and it was probably basket interference, but taking into account it is summer, games dont mean anything, score at the time, and just the plain awesome nature of the play, I decide not to wave the basket off. The coach starts jumping up and down complaining about goaltending. So I go over there and tell him relax it is a summer league game there isnt any reason to get all worked up. He says it was GT, I tell him the ball was out of the cylinder. He wants to keep arguing and eventually says it is my opinion the ball is out of the cylinder. Finally, ive had enough so I respond to him that if he wanted his opinion to matter, he should have become a referee instead of a coach. I think it stunned him into silence. The only good thing about these worthless summer games is the level of professionalism expected from us is so much lower than the regular season we can actually respond to these idiot coaches in ways that we never can when the games matter.
Wow...what would you have done if that would have sent him over the edge. You didn't call a violation against the other team when his team was getting embarrased because you thought it was an awesome play. Then you bait him (in my opinion) with that smart-a...err, that comment.

You got away with it...so I guess there was no real harm. Luckily for your partner he did start tearing into him after you set the stage.

Just my opinions.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 02:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That to would make me more likely to call it, not ignore it. Why let the team that is getting drilled get embarrassed by an illegal play? No good can come from that.
Exactly, and the same goes for the smart-ass comment at the end of a conversation that lasted way too long. Let the coach tell you what he saw, tell him you disagree and it's time to move on. That's the longest you should get, IMO, on this play. Don't be surprised if your college assigner is paying attention to how you respond to coaches in this situation.

And again, I agree that it seems like you probably should have called the BI.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 02:32pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Is this post something you are proud of?