The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 12:00am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Thank Goodness Summer Ball is almost over

I arrived early for our pro games and the TD asked me if I'd score the 2 college league games that were scheduled prior. Boy was that a big mistake.

In game one, team A has just 5 players and one fouls out. Coach is going ballistic accusing me of cheating (never mind I had no idea who was even playing since i took over mid-game) and his player only has 2 fouls. *shrugs* Not the end of the world.

Game 2, we have a team where half the player's numbers have fallen off the jersies. So with 3 "no-number" players on the foul, recording fould is a guessing game the coaches don't like. When they claim the player I gave the foul to was on the bench, i let him know emphatically I was recording the foul as called, case closed. they didn't like that, but it was better than what I wanted to say - Go put some (expletive) numbers on your jersies and we won't have to play this charade.

Now I see why some of you don't like summer rec ball from the striped perspective.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 07:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
I arrived early for our pro games and the TD asked me if I'd score the 2 college league games that were scheduled prior. Boy was that a big mistake.

In game one, team A has just 5 players and one fouls out. Coach is going ballistic accusing me of cheating (never mind I had no idea who was even playing since i took over mid-game) and his player only has 2 fouls. *shrugs* Not the end of the world.

Game 2, we have a team where half the player's numbers have fallen off the jersies. So with 3 "no-number" players on the foul, recording fould is a guessing game the coaches don't like. When they claim the player I gave the foul to was on the bench, i let him know emphatically I was recording the foul as called, case closed. they didn't like that, but it was better than what I wanted to say - Go put some (expletive) numbers on your jersies and we won't have to play this charade.

Now I see why some of you don't like summer rec ball from the striped perspective.
Sounds like a tough day at the office Stat-Man.
At least, it seems, you didn't get busted down to time clocker.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 09:45am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Funny you mention the timer, mick. Our first two pro games were supposed to be running clock since they were just preliminary games. but he did a semi running clock for all of them, misunderstanding the instructions I relayed from the TD.

But seeing this is my second summer there (and possibly my last), I've learned that you just roll with whatever happens ... kind of a modified version of the "Get in, get done, get out" line you've used.

And thank goodness today's the last day.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

My Thoughts

I did a girls summer league game where we had three zero's : 0,00, and 000.
Tracking fouls in this scenario was very interesting and a pain in the butt once one of them got to three fouls.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 07:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper
I did a girls summer league game where we had three zero's : 0,00, and 000.
Tracking fouls in this scenario was very interesting and a pain in the butt once one of them got to three fouls.
When you signaled a foul on number 000, did you have to take one of your shoes off?
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or any perspective for that matter.

While I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing here in a couple of weeks for football (and then hoops later in the year), I have thoroughly enjoyed my several months off from officiating. I didn't even care for the camps I had to go to. In season is great. After that, I'm out.