The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 02:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Summer time it the time I call everything. I do not miss on a violation or foul if it is obvious ever. It is better for the players and coaches to learn now then during the season. And the clock is running too in the vast cases so it gives us time to "rest" honestly when we blow the whistle.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 04:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Last night, varsity girls summer league. A1 gets held in the paint, as we're (double whistle on this one) blowing whistles, she starts flailing a bit and starts to square off before backing off on her own.

After the players are separated, I start to walk towards the coach to ask him to talk to her. Before I get there, I hear "I have a sub at the table. But she was being held and just protecting herself." As I was saying, "Coach, we got the foul, she doesn't need to protect herself," I was thinking, "I should have just called the T."

That attitude was apparently part of the team dynamic, though, as we ended up giving one to a different player later.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Summertime ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 09:52pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I hear "I have a sub at the table. But she was being held and just protecting herself."
How is this statement worthy of a technical foul? I feel like I need some background.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 10:40pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Don't be surprised if your college assigner is paying attention to how you respond to coaches in this situation.
He isn't there and doesn't care as long as there are two people there. He knows the coaches around here can be complete dumbasses in the summer. He knows we are not even getting half of a regular game fee to work the game, and he knows it is nothing more than a glorified practice with the teams missing many if not all of their best players. Most importantly, I have worked HS and college for him long enough so that he knows exactly how I handle coaches when it actually matters.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 10:46pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Is this post something you are proud of?

It most certainly is. As I said, the games are absolutely meaningless.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
How is this statement worthy of a technical foul? I feel like I need some background.
That statement isn't. The player's behavior was close, and I decided to give the coach the chance to deal with it instead. That's the choice I regret.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:17am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Perhaps they are meaningless to you, and a chore to work. However, I suggest you exercise some humbleness by realizing that these games can mean a lot to the coaches, players, and fans. No matter the level, treat every game as important -- that is part of our professionalism as officials.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:22am
AremRed

Quote:
That statement isn't. The player's behavior was close, and I decided to give the coach the chance to deal with it instead. That's the choice I regret.
I misunderstood your post, my bad. I have heard it said on this forum that the only technicals you regret are the ones you did not call. Hopefully this one won't stick with ya!
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
They are not totally meaningless. The outcomes are meaningless and no one puts up banners for who wins a summer league or tournament, that is for sure.

But I would not change how I call the game because it is not the regular season. Actually summer is sometimes where we as officials get a reputation. And if we are not able to handle games and officiating them appropriately, we will be seen that way during the season. I would never not call something just because the outcome is not going to be in the paper.

Just my two cents.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 06:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Professionalism ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Realizing that these games can mean a lot to the coaches, players, and fans. No matter the level, treat every game as important, that is part of our professionalism as officials.
From my pregame conference: This game is the most important game being played anywhere tonight for these kids, fans, and coaches. Let’s make sure we officiate the game keeping that in mind, through effort, and attitude.

One caveat. Many of us that work "lower level" games will make adjustments in terms of switching on fouls, throwin situations, etc., but these adjustments are made with the approval of the person who assigns these types of games.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 07:04am.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 07:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This is why I've never been a "get the coach to help you out with problem players" type. I address players directly and in a manner that everybody in the gym knows what I'm doing. Coaches who care about their players' behavior will ask me what the problem was.