The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating 101 - The Jump Ball

This is part of an instructional series that I'm working on. Thoughts...

Last edited by dvboa; Wed May 15, 2013 at 09:30pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 03:12pm
This IS My Social Life

Jump Ball

Nice job with the basics needed to know.
Have regularly used your compilation of jump ball plays entitled, "The Fine Art of the Toss." Makes for good group and/or individual instruction.
Thanx.

Last edited by Freddy; Tue May 14, 2013 at 03:17pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 03:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

I think we should always fake the first toss to see how high the jumpers can actually jump.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 04:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Should See The Expression On His Face ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think we should always fake the first toss to see how high the jumpers can actually jump.
I like to step on the shoe of the taller of the two jumpers, just to make it fair.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 04:43pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Inquiring minds want to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I like to step on the shoe of the taller of the two jumpers, just to make it fair.
How does this make it fair?
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

In the video the umpire is about six feet away from the division line. That seems too far away from the book position.
The first time that you mention the jump ball ending, you don't list the ball contacting an official. The second time that this comes up, the official is listed.

Although in the vast majority of jump ball situations, the U goes to L and the R to T, there are cases in which the Umpire becomes the Trail following the toss. For example if the ball is knocked close to an end line and saved by a player of the team going the other direction. Someone must get down there to see that he was inbounds.

What do you mean by the words "move down the court opposite the ball" when talking about the Umpire taking his usual position as Lead following the toss? I found it confusing because the umpire stays tableside no matter where the ball goes.

Lastly, a couple of notes mentioning the three feet depth of the spaces occupied by players around the circle and the consequences of that would be nice. Such as non-jumpers further away from the circle than this three feet are permitted to be moving during the toss (too many officials believe that everyone must 'hold their spots'), plus one about players around the circle not being allowed to stand behind an opponent.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 06:55pm
This IS My Social Life

Happens Enough to Pregame It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Although in the vast majority of jump ball situations, the U goes to L and the R to T, there are cases in which the Umpire becomes the Trail following the toss. For example if the ball is knocked close to an end line and saved by a player of the team going the other direction. Someone must get down there to see that he was inbounds.
Good Point.
This happens enough, albeit only twice or so each season, that it merits a regular pre-game mention. Especially with a three-man crew.
The video doesn't, of course, mention everything involving a jump ball scenerio, but it is a good, basic learning tool for new officials.
Another unmentioned scenerio: held ball between two opponents after the jump ball before team control is established results in jump ball between those two players at the center jump circle. That's also happened enough to merit pre-game mention.
Shucks, there's some veterans who could learn from it, too.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 06:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Let's see..... at 0:33 statement #2 has "restraining" misspelled, unless you really meant "restaining circle". At 0:48, a sentence appears that should have a comma between "mouth" and "step". At 0:53 the word "to" should appear before the phrase "toss the ball".

All times listed are approximate and I'll be glad to edit the rest of the video for a fee of one bagel.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Let's see..... at 0:33 statement #2 has "restraining" misspelled, unless you really meant "restaining circle". At 0:48, a sentence appears that should have a comma between "mouth" and "step". At 0:53 the word "to" should appear before the phrase "toss the ball".

All times listed are approximate and I'll be glad to edit the rest of the video for a fee of one bagel.
Just let me know where to send the bagel! You guys are awesome!
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 05:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Hold Your Spots" ...

Quote:
Non-jumpers further away from the circle than this three feet are permitted to be moving during the toss (too many officials believe that everyone must 'hold their spots').
Amen (unless, of course, all the nonjumpers are leopards).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do you mean by the words "move down the court opposite the ball" when talking about the Umpire taking his usual position as Lead following the toss? I found it confusing because the umpire stays tableside no matter where the ball goes.
I assume he means that if the ball goes right, the U goes left and vice versa -- that's the "usual" happening, but there are plenty of exceptions.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Is the jump ball "legally touched" when touched by a jumper? Or when touched by a non jumper?

Last edited by #olderthanilook; Wed May 15, 2013 at 01:25pm.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Is the jump ball "legally touched" and when touched by a jumper? Or when touched by a non jumper?
Legally touched by the jumper will start the clock. Jump ball restrictions end when the ball is touched by a nonjumper, an official, the floor or the backboard.

If a jumper secures the ball with both hands or touches the ball before it reaches its highest point the clock should not start as it is an illegal touch. If a jumper taps the ball 3 times, the clock would start as the first touch is legal.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

In addition to what other have mentioned, the only thing I would add is to replay the entire jump ball sequence from beginning to end at the conclusion of the instructional part. This way the observer sees the 'parts' of the jump ball, but also gets the whole picture as well. Well done.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRef View Post
In addition to what other have mentioned, the only thing I would add is to replay the entire jump ball sequence from beginning to end at the conclusion of the instructional part. This way the observer sees the 'parts' of the jump ball, but also gets the whole picture as well. Well done.
All good input... I will go back and edit and make additional changes. Thanks everyone for their good advice.